Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Shohei Otani

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,577 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

60 Minutes had an exclusive interview with Shohei Otani last night... Trying to find the video as we speak, and will post it once it's available. He WILL sign with an MLB team after the 2017 season, CBA and potential money left on the table be damned. 

The big key with him signing in the MLB is finding a team that will allow him to pitch and DH or play in the field. I don't know how he'll choose his MLB team all things being equal. After watching his highlights and interview last night, I'd love for that guy to be on my favorite team. 

• nicksaviking, Oldgoat_MN, bluechipper and 1 other like this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,577 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

Video not available yet, but the transcript of the interview can be found here.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,672 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

I have no idea what team lets him do that but it'll be fun to watch. 

• nicksaviking and d-mac like this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,450 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:41 AM

While I know he can play in the field, I would guess an AL team would be the best fit because of the DH possibility. Or maybe it wouldn't since you'd lose the DH for the day if he's pitching and hitting. I don't know, hard to wrap my head around this unique situation.

Still hard to not see him going to a big market though. If he is a two way player he's going to be a seat-filling novelty that any team would want. Well any team that isn't fearful of trying new ideas and strategies. I'm fairly confident Gardy and Ryan wouldn't have been comfortable giving a two way player a shot. It sure would be nice if other "Old School" types like Mike Scioscia and Dave Dombrowski find the idea off-putting. Getting the Angels and Red Sox out of the bidding sure would be helpful to a smaller market team's pursuit.

• Mike Sixel, Vanimal46 and d-mac like this

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,577 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

Maybe Falvey and Levine are the ones who will think outside the box and let him do it! A guy can dream..... 

• nicksaviking and d-mac like this

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,095 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

Given the stupid restrictions on what he can be paid (from a freedom perspective of the player....he's going to lose probably 9 figures), he'll go to a market where he can make boatloads of money doing endorsements and other things. He may or may not prioritize how good the team is.

I'm guessing LAD or Seattle or NYY.

Seattle, CA, NY, TX teams have the advantage there.

• rukavina, nicksaviking and d-mac like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,401 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

CBA and potential money left on the table be damned.

The CBA and the IFA cap is fairly irrelevant in this case.The cap has to do with the bonus $ and not the contract $. Most teams sign high level prospects to high bonuses but give them MiLB contracts, because they are not MLB-ready.

Otani is MLB-ready and could be signed to an MLB contract with zero or $1 bonus, so he will not affect a team's IFA cap.This will be about the contract in years and $ and not about the signing bonus.

Looking at his numbers as a pitcher he looks a lot like Darvish and Tanaka did at a similar age, and slightly better than Dice-K.The novelty is that he also hits and runs the bases.I suspect that there are a lot of teams that will see this as an unnecessary risk, and Nishioka is a prime example that hitting in Japan does not always translate.

He might want to do both, but he might have to settle for a team that would sell novelty, instead of a competitive team

• nicksaviking likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

Given the stupid restrictions on what he can be paid (from a freedom perspective of the player....he's going to lose probably 9 figures),

That's inaccurate.See above.

-----

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,095 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

That's inaccurate.See above.

Wanna place a wager on this, w/o going to the internet to check?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,450 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

Given the stupid restrictions on what he can be paid (from a freedom perspective of the player....he's going to lose probably 9 figures), he'll go to a market where he can make boatloads of money doing endorsements and other things. He may or may not prioritize how good the team is.

I'm guessing LAD or Seattle or NYY.

Seattle, CA, NY, TX teams have the advantage there.

There's a cap to how much the MLB teams can pay the foreign teams for the players rights, but not how much the player can make, from my understanding. I think the max cap is 20M and as long as more than one team bids 20M he can negotiate his salary with multiple teams.

A guy like Park was hindered because no one is going to bid the max cap which means there is no tie bid and the highest bidder wins negotiating rights. But a guy like Otani will surely have many if not most teams bidding the max.

#11 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

Nobody's going to let him be more than a bench bat, right?

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,095 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

The new CBA limits spending on ANY IFA under 25 years of age....from mlbtraderumors.com....

"....the latest iteration of the CBA put hard caps on teams’ capacity to spend on international players who are under 25 years of age, thus precluding the possibility of Otani commanding a bonus befitting his ability until the 2019 season."

They can only spend $20MM on the posting fee, and the hard cap on the IFA. 

so, if he comes before 2019, it's a hard cap. 

Edited by Mike Sixel, 11 April 2017 - 10:51 AM.

• nicksaviking, spycake, Bob Sacamento and 1 other like this

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,577 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

The new CBA limits spending on ANY IFA under 25 years of age....from mlbtraderumors.com....

"....the latest iteration of the CBA put hard caps on teams’ capacity to spend on international players who are under 25 years of age, thus precluding the possibility of Otani commanding a bonus befitting his ability until the 2019 season."

So in the rare case that the Twins win the posting bid of $20 MM, then they could only offer him $5.25 MM in a contract? There's too many theories on this thread already that I'm confused. 

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,095 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

So in the rare case that the Twins win the posting bid of $20 MM, then they could only offer him $5.25 MM in a contract? There's too many theories on this thread already that I'm confused. 

https://theringer.co...ba-11de1b0e5682

http://www.cbssports...-coming-to-mlb/

https://www.mlbtrade...ei-otani-2.html

• Oldgoat_MN and Vanimal46 like this

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,450 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

The Asian leagues also have the age restriction then? I guess that sounds familiar though I thought that was only for the countries south of the border.

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

That is for the bonus.

There is no limit for the contract, esp. since he will be on the 40-man roster and given an MLB contract.Someone can sign him for a 6/$120million contract if they wanted to

Were he a minor leaguer who would had to sign a minor league contract (like most young IFA,) if would had been a different story.

-----

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,095 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

That is for the bonus.

There is no limit for the contract, esp. since he will be on the 40-man roster and given an MLB contract.Someone can sign him for a 6/$120million contract if they wanted to

Were he a minor leaguer who would had to sign a minor league contract (like most young IFA,) if would had been a different story.

Well, every single link I've posted says otherwise, so I think you are wrong. 

They can't get around the "bonus" by offering a huge contract. Otherwise they would not post in every article that this makes it less likely he come here. So, either every article and analyst is wrong, or you are.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 11 April 2017 - 11:52 AM.

• Bob Sacamento likes this

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

Who leaves $ on the table is the Japanese League teams, not the players, because the posting fee (that goes to teams and not players) has a cap.

-----

#19 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

Well, every single link I've posted says otherwise, so I think you are wrong. 

They can't get around the "bonus" by offering a huge contract. Otherwise they would not post in every article that this makes it less likely he come here. So, either every article and analyst is wrong, or you are.

Show me a single link that says that there is a limit in the contract they can offer, if this is an MLB contract.

One.

Edited by Thrylos, 11 April 2017 - 11:57 AM.

-----

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,095 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

Who leaves $ on the table is the Japanese League teams, not the players, because the posting fee (that goes to teams and not players) has a cap.

did you read a single article I posted?

You realize you can't offer a $5MM bonus, and 100MM deal to any IFA any more, right? 

I'm done. 

• Bob Sacamento likes this