Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

All Star Festivities

all star games
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

This weekend, the NBA had its all star weekend. Friday night was the celebrity game and the rookie and second year player games. Saturday was the skills competition, the 3-point contest (won by Kevin Love) and the dunk contest (including Wolves Derrick Williams). Sunday night was the All-Star game itself. The NFL's Pro Bowl is just a game and it's between the league championship games and the Super Bowl. The NHL... I have no idea what they do besides a game. MLB's All Star game is generally considered to be the best. There is a HR Derby. Which All-Star festivities are the best? If baseball did decide to do some sort of skills competitions (besides the HR Derby), what would it even do? Ground ball competitions? Bunting to a spot? Baseball Golf?

#2 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

The NHL has a skills competition similar to the NBA's. Fastest skater, hardest shot and so on. I've always thought there should be more skills in the MLB all-star weekend. Maybe the catchers can see who can throw out the most people at second. There could be a target that moves throughout the field and players can try to hit the target.

#3 Topperanton

Topperanton

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

I like the NBA's 3-point, Skills and Dunk competitions more than I like the actual All Star game itself. And I like them more than the HR Derby as well I think. But the MLB All Star game itself is unparalleled in other sports.

#4 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 840 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Adding some other things on the same night as the home run derby would be cool. The celebrity softball game is stupid. A skills competition would be neat but I am not sure what they could do. In my mind I see guys in the outfield trying to throw into a trash can set-up behind home plate. :rolleyes:

#5 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Adding some other things on the same night as the home run derby would be cool. The celebrity softball game is stupid. A skills competition would be neat but I am not sure what they could do. In my mind I see guys in the outfield trying to throw into a trash can set-up behind home plate. :rolleyes:

They did this in Fort Wayne 2 years ago at the MWL ASG and it was a complete disaster, no one came close to hitting the target at homeplate.
Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,305 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Which All-Star festivities are the best? If baseball did decide to do some sort of skills competitions (besides the HR Derby), what would it even do? Ground ball competitions? Bunting to a spot? Baseball Golf?

I rarely watch any of those (heck I do not watch any basketball or hockey at all) other than occasionally the MLB All-Star game if I have nothing better to do. I love football but just cannot watch the Pro Bowl.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98