Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Greene Impresses Twins Brass

draft hunter greene
  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• 2,946 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

Yeah.. But we'll still have a hole a SS every fifth game while our Cy young pitcher takes the mound. I wonder if Greene would mind being backed up at short by DSan! :D

He might prefer to throw the pitch and run over to cover the ss spot himself rather than have dansan out there.

• glunn and goulik like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#22 70charger

70charger

• 4,273 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

He might prefer to throw the pitch and run over to cover the ss spot himself rather than have dansan out there.

I would buy a ticket to that game.
  • glunn likes this

#23 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,593 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

Maybe it's the angle, but that pitch almost looks like a power curve. Nasty whatever it Was! He can throw that consistently with his FB I'm all in. I know he's only 18 and in high school still, but I want to know he can repeat that over and over before I draft him #1. But he is interesting and tantalizing no doubt.

What I struggle with is need vs potential vs safety. Whether you have a 1st round pick or THE 1st pick, you'd like to feel you made a "safe" choice in regard to potential to make the majors as a quality player. But at the end of the day, the ML draft remains the biggest crapshoot in all professional sports. Risk or not, don't you almost HAVE to draft Greene just based on so much upside?
  • glunn and BuxtonBandwagon like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#24 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• 1,315 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

I like that: Need vs Potential vs Safety. Wherever those graphs intersect is your pick. Hard not to go Green with the Potential and Need pieces so high. Whichever alternative we might choose better be off the charts in the Safety catagory; ie sure thing.
  • glunn and DocBauer like this

#25 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• 547 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

18? The "kid" looks to be closer to 30. You sure he didn't sneak over here from Cuba? You know, the country that can't keep track of birthdates?

I'd go with Haiti, tons of people don't have them there. 

#26 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

• 767 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

I see a kid that became physically mature sooner than other kids his age. So, he is essentially at an advantage vs his current competition. That makes me skeptical. In the picture he looks like a 20 year old throwing to a 12 year old.
  • Steve Lein and gagu like this

#27 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• 1,750 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:55 PM

I see a kid that became physically mature sooner than other kids his age. So, he is essentially at an advantage vs his current competition. That makes me skeptical. In the picture he looks like a 20 year old throwing to a 12 year old.

By "skeptical" do you mean you think he/his parents are lying about his age ?!?!?!  I really hope not.

Or (I hope) do you you mean that you are skeptical that he is being overhyped just because he matured early, and others will catch up to him, relatively speaking? If the latter, I'd just point out a couple of things: (1) he still throws the ball 98mph with ease in his 5th or 6th inning of pitching, which nobody but maybe a handful of 24 to 29 year old major league pitchers in their prime can do, and (2) IF YOU ARE RIGHT, that means he's ahead of his age cohort in terms of maturity and getting used to his adult body, making him more likely to make it to the majors quicker than a normal high schooler, which is all the more reason for the Twins to take him given their window of contention with many of their young players may start to close after 2021. 

Edited by nytwinsfan, 08 April 2017 - 09:55 PM.

• glunn, gunnarthor, Loosey and 2 others like this

#28 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,736 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:16 AM

Safety: he doesn't pan out as a pitcher so you slide him over to short stop.
  • glunn and WiesbadenDAN like this

#29 Tweety

Tweety

• 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

It seems like he may well be the right choice, but it makes me nervous, because TINSTAAPP.

• GP830 likes this

#30 GCTF

GCTF

Wasting Your Time

• 3,030 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

A pitcher that wears a single digit number? Pass.

• glunn, Thrylos, Loosey and 3 others like this
Endut! Hoch Hech!

#31 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• 1,455 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

I say draft him and don't look back.  My reasons are:

1) He is the consensus best player / most upside in the draft.  

2) He is a pitcher that could be Ace material a few years down the road.  

3) Since drafting pitchers is risky for a multitude of reasons, injuries, doesn't improve, etc, this kid would probably be a high round pick as a shortstop.  So if something happens on the pitching front, he actually would have a 2nd shot at becoming a Major League SS, and possibly a very good one.  

• Vanimal46 likes this

#32 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,842 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

I say draft him and don't look back.  My reasons are:

1) He is the consensus best player / most upside in the draft.  

2) He is a pitcher that could be Ace material a few years down the road.  

3) Since drafting pitchers is risky for a multitude of reasons, injuries, doesn't improve, etc, this kid would probably be a high round pick as a shortstop.  So if something happens on the pitching front, he actually would have a 2nd shot at becoming a Major League SS, and possibly a very good one.  

I agree with 1 and 2 but #3 is probably unlikely.  Most players were solid two way players in high school, especially pitchers who are usually a teams best athletes.  Obviously, Greene's a bit ahead of all of them but not that far ahead.  If you don't play a position for a few years, it's really hard to catch up.  Stetson Allie was a first round talent as a pitcher but some teams thought he'd be better with his bat.  He pitched for a few years before giving that up to go back to hitting.  He's 26 and still in AA.  If the Twins draft Greene as a pitcher and in a few years they have to try again as a shortstop, he probably won't make it.

• glunn, Loosey, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,626 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

I'm with Loosey and others on the thread. Draft this guy and don't think twice about it. 

• glunn, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,288 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

I think I'm on Green also. Just too much upside to pass on. If they think McKay is a two, and could hit like Mark Grace, I'd not kill them for that. If they think he's a three, I won't be happy. Not that we'll ever know.

• glunn likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#35 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,842 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

Bonus demands are going to complicate this a bit, too.  If Preller is going to be the dick that we all know he can be, the Twins won't get any savings out of the first pick and might have to go overslot for Greene.  If a college player comes at a discount, they might take that.

#36 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,626 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

Bonus demands are going to complicate this a bit, too.  If Preller is going to be the dick that we all know he can be, the Twins won't get any savings out of the first pick and might have to go overslot for Greene.  If a college player comes at a discount, they might take that.

I'd hate to pass on a player because of bonus demands... If Greene is the guy, don't low ball him and pony up to get the best player. Especially if they think he has star potential.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and NapoleonComplex like this

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,288 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:09 AM

How is it being a "dick" to get your client the best deal possible?

No way I pass on the best player over a few hundred K. No way. They should take the best player on their board.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#38 markos

markos

• 1,401 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:13 AM

I agree with 1 and 2 but #3 is probably unlikely.  Most players were solid two way players in high school, especially pitchers who are usually a teams best athletes.  Obviously, Greene's a bit ahead of all of them but not that far ahead.  If you don't play a position for a few years, it's really hard to catch up.  Stetson Allie was a first round talent as a pitcher but some teams thought he'd be better with his bat.  He pitched for a few years before giving that up to go back to hitting.  He's 26 and still in AA.  If the Twins draft Greene as a pitcher and in a few years they have to try again as a shortstop, he probably won't make it.

Maybe the odds are so small that it doesn't matter, but Greene's odds of succeeding as a hitter are meaningful - they are certainly not zero unlike other top HS pitchers (think Tyler Kolek). And his odds of providing at least some value are significantly increased since he plays an up-the-middle position. Allie is a good example. If Allie was a plus SS (which supposedly is Greene's potential at SS) instead of a corner outfield/1B guy, his career .741 OPS in AA is probably enough to get him a look in the big leagues.

• glunn and Loosey like this

#39 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• 537 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

No way I pass on the best player over a few hundred K. No way. They should take the best player on their board.

Agree.  I will also say, the Twins hold a ton of leverage here.  

"Hi 18 year old, I'm going to offer you x million dollars today, but you can totally improve your number 1 overall draft stock by either taking a year off or going to college for three years to try and make a bit more"

• ashbury, glunn and Oldgoat_MN like this

#40 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,842 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

Preller is SD's GM, not Greene's adviser.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: draft, hunter greene