Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

LaMonte Wade -2017

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

LaMonte Wade was born Jan. 1st, 1994 in Baltimore, Maryland. He grew up in Owings Mills, MD and graduated H.S. From St. Paul's in Broklandville, MD.

From there he went to the University of Maryland. He played as a first baseman as a Freshman but then moved to Center Field. For the Terrapins, Wade had a .394 on-base percentage in three seasons with more walks than strikeouts.

The Minnesota Twins selected Wade in the ninth round with the 260th overall selection, of the 2015 draft. He made his professional debut with the Elizabethton Twins where he hit .312/.428/.506 (.934) with eight doubles, five triples and nine home runs. He took 46 walks with just 34 strikeouts. He was also 12/13 in stolen base attempts. He was promoted to the CedaR Rapids Kernels for the final week of their season and their playoff run.

Wade began the 2016 season with Cedar Rapids. He hit .280/.410/.396 in 207 at bats. Again he walked more than striking out with 44 BBs to 27 Ks. After starting in the MidWest League all star game, Wade was moved up to the Fort Myers Miracle for the remainder of the season. In high A he hit .318/.386/.518. On the season he hit a combined 14 doubles, 4 triples and 8 Long balls.

Wade is slated to begin 2017 playing for the Chattanooga Lookouts.
  • Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,308 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

Big fan of Wade... Looking forward to tracking his progress this season! 

#3 rghrbek

rghrbek

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

I also am a big fan.  Hopefully the Twins have this guy fast tracking.  With that on base %, and his hit skill in general, he could be a top of the order candidate.

He plays CF so assuming his glove and arm are plus?

#4 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

Pretty sure he will be a corner outfielder when he makes it considering who we already have here. That said, I am hoping some more power develops as he continues to move up.

#5 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

Wade is hitting 246/371/368 In 57 at bats for a 740 OPS. He has 11 walks to 9 K's. He has stolen 2 bases without being caught. Wade only has 1 double but he has 2 home runs.

Defensively, Wade has played mostly in Left field. He is caught behind Tanner English who is better defensively and has taken the most CF innings on the Lookouts. Wade has 15 games and 83 innings in left where his only error of the season also occurred. He has also logged 4 games and 28 innings CF and 5 games with 40 innings In right. From right field, he was able to add a double play by throwing out a runner.
  • nytwinsfan likes this

#6 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

It wouldn't surprise me to see Wade get more innings in CF if English doesn't pick it up and Granite doesn't get healthy. If Wade plays well, he could get a chance in Rochester.

#7 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

Wade is tearing up another level of baseball hitting .326/.458/.478 for a .937 OPS in 120 Plate Appearances. Those are career highs in Avg, OBP, and OPS. Pretty good for having moved up another level after only a half season at A+. Wade has collected 24 BB's vs 17 K's. He has also stolen all 3 bases he's attempted. He has hit 5 doubles and 3 homers but has not tripled yet.

Defensively, Wade is playing mostly Left Field due to the superior defense of Tanner English. He has 162.2 innings in Left, 40 in right, and 28 in center with a .981 FPCT over a combined 230.2 innings in the field (one error...). Wade also has 4 outfield assists, one of those trying to tag up on him and the others being too aggressive for their own good.

Wade has typically spent a half season or less at a level and at this pace, he will not be in Chattanooga for long either.

• Mike Sixel, wavedog, Dance with Disco Dan and 1 other like this

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,308 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

Raising his average 80 points and his OPS by 200 points in 2 weeks? That's god dang impressive. 

• goulik and nytwinsfan like this

#9 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

An article here

http://twinsdaily.co...onte-wade-r4365

written in January 2016 by Seth, adds that he was considered a possible Top 5 pick in his draft year until he broke a ham-bone.(Hamate bone).

Maybe we are seeing his Top 5 potential.

#10 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

An article here

http://twinsdaily.co...onte-wade-r4365

written in January 2016 by Seth, adds that he was considered a possible Top 5 pick in his draft year until he broke a ham-bone. (Hamate bone).

Maybe we are seeing his Top 5 potential.

Is that top 5 overall or top 5 rounds? I was skeptical last year but man this kid is making me a believer.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,308 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

It doesn't matter at this point. The Twins got a steal in the 9th round. Whether you want to say every blind squirrel finds an acorn, or the scouting department is amazzzzzzing!!1! I like the odds of Wade being an MLB player. That plate discipline and contact rate man... I'm a believer too.
  • Mike Sixel, Twins33 and goulik like this

#12 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

Raising his average 80 points and his OPS by 200 points in 2 weeks? That's god dang impressive. 

You have several multi-hit games, 3 doubles and a home run during that span and the result is this thread with another link as well. 

http://twinsdaily.co...rs-of-the-week/

#13 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

Another strong night for Wade. 2-3 with a homer and a walk. Batting average up to .327. OBP up to .465. He should get called up to AAA soon. If either Rosario, Kepler, or Grossman went down I would give this kid one of the first options in the bigs as well.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#14 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Is that top 5 overall or top 5 rounds? I was skeptical last year but man this kid is making me a believer.

Top 5 overall.

• kab21 likes this

#15 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

http://twinsdaily.co...y-in-victories/

A lot of Wade love going on after last night's game

#16 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:36 PM

Top 5 overall.

Wow I had no idea. Never saw that before. Pretty amazing to drop that much. He had another nice game tonight. Quickly becoming one of my favorites. Hope he gets a call up sometime after the break and definitely deserves a September call up this year

#17 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

I was just think of a comp for this guy and I just see Shannon Stewart with a stronger arm. That is a huge compliment. While it's not a power hitter you typically look for with corner outfield, we may not need the extra power with Sano and others on the team. We may have a leadoff hitter for years to come. And I'm as big of fan of Eddie Rosario as they come but I'd be open for this guy upending him because it fits the team better
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#18 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

Tanner English was sent down to Fort Meyers which I believe will get Wade a lot more time in CF...time will tell.

#19 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:49 PM

I have no personal knowledge having never seen him play but most publicly available scouting reports have him as average fielder with below average arm. It seems that his spot might be LF even if Buxton doesn't cut it. That said I like the bat to ball skills he has demonstrated so far!

#20 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

Wade has cooled off some since my last update but he still has some robust stats with the stick. He is hitting 288/419/412 for an 830 OPS. He has 39 walks to 30 strike outs in 215 plate appearances. He is up to 9 doubles but hit only one more HR (4 total). He now has 5 stolen bases but his unblemished record now has 2 Caught stealing blemishes...Oh well.

Defensively, he has more than doubled his time in CF since English was sent down but he is still primarily a Left Fielder logging 295 innings in Left, 62.2 in CF and 49 in RF. He has a 988 FPCT in Left and 1.000 in CF and RF for a total FPCT of 991. He has also thrown on 11 outfield assists. They need to stop trying to run on him... I give him til the end of the month before he is moved up to Rochester. That will be shortly after his NEXT hot streak.
  • rghrbek and Vanimal46 like this