Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs Royals@Target Field - 4/6, 10:10am PT (Noon:10 CT)

game thread twins kansas city hawt taeks play ball!
  • Please log in to reply
447 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,255 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:41 AM

And he's not one of the 5 worst players of the last two years.

Based on what? Certainly not WAR.....based on what do you make that statement? His hitting? His base stealing percent? His defense? I mean, I have plenty of data that says he is in that range.

• d-mac likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#22 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

How many chances does a 25th man get?? Every organization has guys making the minimum that could easily be swapped with DSan. Spread the chances around. I want to see Granite soon.

Granite is currently hurt and has never played AAA. Have him play every day and succeed for multiple months before you bring him up to sit on the bench.

Santana will get a couple months, and if it isn't working, they'll move on. He's not going to take many at bats from the core guys.

Papers...business papers.

#23 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

I hope he gets out of the game 

I agree with this portion of your DanSan take:)

• GP830 likes this

#24 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:47 AM

Based on what? Certainly not WAR.....based on what do you make that statement? His hitting? His base stealing percent? His defense? I mean, I have plenty of data that says he is in that range.

The fact that you personally have asked a variation of this question dozens of times kind of proves my point.

• Joe A. Preusser likes this

#25 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

Like it or not, DSan is going to get starts. I don't understand it, but it is going to happen. 

I think this picture sums it up (if you assume Molly is the puppy in this scenario):

i-cant-quit-you_thumb.jpg

#26 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

Santana seems to get "punto hate" on Twins Daily and I'm feeling a bit sad for him.....hope he and Molitors'  lineup ROCKS another WIN!!!!!

• Mike Sixel and PopRiveter like this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#27 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

And he's not one of the 5 worst players of the last two years.

You're right ... he's one of the 3 worst players with a minimum of 500 PAs over the last two years - he ranks right ahead of Panda and Alexei Ramirez, and behind such stalwarts as Cody Asche and Alexi Amarista.

So, in terms of WAR he most certainly is. Add to that his inability to steal bases, hit or play even consistent defense (consistently bad doesn't count), he actually is as awful as we believe him to be.

• hybridbear likes this

#28 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

This week has me in full-on mid-season form of excitement. I've been refreshing pages and looking for every bit of insight and info I can get regarding the Twins. We're still an hour from game time and I can't help but be so jacked that the season is here and our boys not only look good, but there definitely feels like a sea change has occurred. I may post more about this in a separate thread, but man, is it nice! 

• Jerr and Mike Sixel like this

#29 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 4,668 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

Superb job today Blake! Feeling like a proud dad this morning!

You're welcome and thank you. As is probably obvious, I have a lot of fun letting the inner weird shine through. Although, since I work on computers for a living, the weird thing is probably a given.

• Mike Sixel, Craig Arko and Vanimal46 like this

#30 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

You're right ... he's one of the 3 worst players with a minimum of 500 PAs over the last two years - he ranks right ahead of Panda and Alexei Ramirez, and behind such stalwarts as Cody Asche and Alexi Amarista.

So, in terms of WAR he most certainly is. Add to that his inability to steal bases, hit or play even consistent defense (consistently bad doesn't count), he actually is as awful as we believe him to be.

Well, when you put that many qualifiers on it. This kind of analysis really shows the limits of just posting WAR and having that be the only conclusion.

The fact that he got over 500 PAs shows he far from the top 5 worst. He was certainly overexposed, but if he was hidden a little more and played to his strengths, his WAR counting stats would have been less negative. If he only had 300 PAs, that would not have made him "better" but by this standard he would have been significantly better.

I am interested to see him in a limited role and see what he can produce, now that he has no other options.

#31 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

Santana seems to get "punto hate" on Twins Daily and I'm feeling a bit sad for him.....hope he and Molitors'  lineup ROCKS another WIN!!!!!

Santana's no Punto though.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,255 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

Agreed on that. Punto was much better defensively. I can't recall the hitting one way or the other.

• Carole Keller and jud6312 like this

#33 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

I agree, but I remember how Punto became the target.......

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#34 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:02 AM

The other thing I'll say about Santana, is the dude has flashed tools and is still only 26. He could have probably used more development time over the last 3 years, but he had too good of a year at 23 (albeit with a fluky babip) to fully commit to that development. He is proof of the problem faced by international signees and the need to roster them at a younger age.

He's not going to be a great player, likely not even an everyday guy, but I still watch him and think there is something there. I would have preferred he was the 13th guy and there was a DH on the roster, but he doesn't put together the roster.

#35 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 4,668 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

Agreed on that. Punto was much better defensively. I can't recall the hitting one way or the other.

The odd thing about Punto is that he really lit things up when he finally made it to the post-season. Bat was always marginal during the regular season but in the post-season? 

But, hey, it's baseball.

#36 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

Well, when you put that many qualifiers on it. This kind of analysis really shows the limits of just posting WAR and having that be the only conclusion.

The fact that he got over 500 PAs shows he far from the top 5 worst. He was certainly overexposed, but if he was hidden a little more and played to his strengths, his WAR counting stats would have been less negative. If he only had 300 PAs, that would not have made him "better" but by this standard he would have been significantly better.

I am interested to see him in a limited role and see what he can produce, now that he has no other options.

There's ONE qualifier on it ... 500 PAs.

His only strength is his speed, which doesn't translate to good baserunning. So, I guess if there were a footrace to break an extra innings tie after both teams exhausted their entire benches, he'd be a good guy to have around.

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,255 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

I think this is my favourite section, btw:

GM: (sarcastically) Would you prefer 14 pitchers? (immediately regrets opening mouth)

Manager: Awesome! We really are on the same page!! I always knew I liked you!

• Blake, Vanimal46 and d-mac like this

#38 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Punto was a very valuable MLBer. He was also overexposed because there was a shortage of talent around him in the infield.

• Mike Sixel and d-mac like this

#39 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:09 AM

There's ONE qualifier on it ... 500 PAs.

His only strength is his speed, which doesn't translate to good baserunning. So, I guess if there were a footrace to break an extra innings tie after both teams exhausted their entire benches, he'd be a good guy to have around.

He also has a cannon arm and some sneaky pop. He has tools.

500 PAs over two years is a lot. It weeds out all the really bad players.

#40 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

He also has a cannon arm and some sneaky pop. He has tools.

500 PAs over two years is a lot. It weeds out all the really bad players.

You're either Grandpa DanSan or you're trolling everyone really, really hard.

Either way, congrats. 

• d-mac likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game thread, twins, kansas city, hawt taeks, play ball!