Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Paul Molitor's Opening Day Redemption

paul molitor joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,445 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:41 AM

The team scores 7 runs and people here complain. Wow.

The game of baseball is a game of trends that are not to be judged by one game.

Wow.
  • TheLeviathan and Deduno Abides like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,445 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

I loved the starting pitching...wish Santana could start 3 of every 5 games. 😊

I don't love the lineup (based mostly on who is in it, rather than where in it), and think they need to dump a pitcher, dump DanSan, add both Vargas and Park, and start utilizing platoon advantages where possible, including Mauer.
  • KirbyDome89 likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#23 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:55 AM

I believe Falvey places a great deal of credence in wOBA.

#24 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

The Twins won, didn't they? Judging from many of the comments, it seems like they got their butts kicked again. I'll have to look at the box score again to confirm whether or not they are undefeated and in first place. :)

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

I like bunching his best OBP guys up. I don't have an issue putting Buxton in the three spot, and challenging him. At some point, Byron hits, or this team is "meh" anyway. You can have a strategy, and go slightly off it, and still have a plan. It may also be a sign, though I'd be surprised, that Paul is thinking long term and not just this year.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#26 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

It was good to see Molitor trying something new rather than the same old thing, even if batting Buxton third doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. It will be even more interesting to see what happens today against a RH starter. I would expect to see Buxton down the order a bit (7th?), with Kepler maybe 3rd, or maybe Polanco 2, Mauer 3, Sano 4, Kepler 5, and on down.   

#27 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

It was good to see Molitor trying something new rather than the same old thing, even if batting Buxton third doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. It will be even more interesting to see what happens today against a RH starter. I would expect to see Buxton down the order a bit (7th?), with Kepler maybe 3rd, or maybe Polanco 2, Mauer 3, Sano 4, Kepler 5, and on down.   

It's basically the same thing, with Kepler to the top and Grossman to the bottom, plus Escobar in for Polanco.

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,444 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

I didn't understand the Opening Day lineup at all but it amused the hell out of me because it was so absurd.

And it ended in a lopsided win for the Twins.

With a righty coming up in today's game, I'm pulling for an equally absurd but completely different lineup because confusion is sometimes delightfully fun.

#29 Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

The questions I have with this "odd" lineup are:

I seem to recall that there was some trepidation with the Buxton hitting first because of the pressure of leading off...so we slot him in the "low-pressure" spot of hitting third. Not sure that makes sense to me.

Mauer is the quintessential two hitter. Sure RG had a slightly higher OPB last year, but Mauer has a career .391 OBP.  I just have a hard time seeing Grossman as a top of the order DH. 

I'm all for rethinking the way a this team takes the field after last year. But it seems like this is just a odd lineup for an odd lineups sake, but I guess as long as we win...

• Mike Sixel likes this

#30 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

It's basically the same thing, with Kepler to the top and Grossman to the bottom, plus Escobar in for Polanco.

1. Dozier -R

2. Kepler-L

3. Buxton-R

4. Mauer-L

5. Sano-R

6. Castro-L

7. Esco-S

8. Rosario-L

9. Grossman-D

Love it, except I wish Polanco was in there, although I like the idea of having a switch hitting pinch hitter like him available.  Molly really wants someone to be on base when Dozier or Sano connect.

#31 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

I cannot judge the lineup or the roster at this point.  A couple weeks have to pass to see any trends.  Its fun to have real games now, but I cannot speculate.  I need to see what Park does in MILB, how Buxton performs or does not, how Grossman holds up his OBP, if Mauer does anything.  This year is truly a puzzle to me and has been since they finalized their 25.

#32 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:16 PM

No they did not.

Opening day Twins' batting order and 2016 OBP (rank in parenthesis)

Dozier .340 (3)
Grossman .386 (1)
Buxton .284 (9)
Mauer .363 (2)
Sano .319 (5)
Castro .307 (7)
Polanco .332 (4)
Kepler .309 (6)
Rosario .295 (8)

You cannot bat the guy with the worst OBP third.  He struck out 3 times.  About time they flip Polanco towards the top of the order as well... Buxton should be batting 8th or 9th

I could have had a lot of respect if the reply would have been Buxton's September was an anomaly and he has not turned the corner in being a top OPS player.

#33 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:32 AM

Well it's still very early, but the hitters are still not hitting very well.
Only 5 games so far, but only 3 of our regulars have an OPS+ of 100 or more (Sano, Polanco, Castro). Escobar and Gimenez have been good off the bench.
The other 6 regulars are still struggling at the plate.

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:14 PM

And still waiting for the ice cold bats to come around.
Hopefully this is just SSS noise, because this could be a long season if the hitters are going to be this much worse than expected.

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

I will never understand pinch running for Sano like this. Two outs? On first? Do no like

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#36 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

I will never understand pinch running for Sano like this. Two outs? On first? Do no like

Yeah and if you're going to do it, aren't you pretty much hell bent on stealing a base too?  That never seems to happen either.

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

He also must play Danny..... Still can't figure out he is on a roster.

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

Danny Santana, pinch hitter.....
  • KirbyDome89 likes this

#39 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,626 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:34 PM

His versatility is unparalleled.

• Mike Sixel and KirbyDome89 like this

#40 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,239 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

Lefty on the mound, I presume? The choices are few, with this gargantuan bullpen.

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paul molitor, joe mauer