Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

The visual beauty of baseball

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:58 PM

I have talked about it before around these parts a few times, but I have a pretty extensive history with eye procedures. This past week, I had to have yet another one, and it caused me to reflect on my vision, and with opening day coming around the corner, baseball was on the mind. I decided to put it to an article, and I hope you enjoy!

https://calltothepen...-game-baseball/

• ashburyjohn, Bark's Lounge, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Contributor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

El Rudo

• Twins Mods
  • 14,927 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the personal perspective.
  • biggentleben likes this

You don't automatically get my respect. You have to get down and beg for it.

#3 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

Ben, that was beautiful. I hope that you are able to enjoy all of the senses of baseball for a very many years to come. That said, baseball is also rich with sound and emotion. Surely here are countless ways to enjoy this beautiful game. Nonetheless, I will heed, and never take my views of baseball for granted.

The world over, soccer has the reputation of being 'the beautiful game.' For me personally, there's no more beautiful competition than tye one with the crack of the bat, the snap of the leather, and the careful l, familiar dramatics that a baseball game produces.

...on a somewhat related note: SunTrust Park...woof. A swing and a miss in my opinion. Am I wrong?
  • biggentleben likes this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#4 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:48 PM

Thanks. It was definitely a personal piece, but one that I had definitely taken into consideration for the last few years since my grandfather's loss of vision.

I'm certainly a fan of audio presentation of the game, and there is no sport more perfectly suited for radio than baseball. However, the decline of the game's quality in radio presentation has certainly hurt my enjoyment. I grew up listening to Herb Carneal, Ernie Harwell, Vin Scully, etc. Not a lot of voices like that out there anymore!

On SunTrust, I've heard extremely good things on the fan experience from those who have been there. I'm interested to see the park once it's opened. The money issue is, well, a mess.

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Contributor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!