Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Behind the Fence: Stephen Gonsalves, Fernando Romero and Paul Clemens get action

fernando romero stephen gonsalves paul clemens byung ho park nick gordon
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 clutterheart

clutterheart

• 1,622 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Gonsalves only at 88 mph?? Is he still hurt or is that all he has in him?

Golsalves doesn't throw hard.  I have read "his stats are ahead of his stuff" many times.  Hopefully he is more than a Tommy Milone type

#22 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,104 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:01 AM

Golsalves doesn't throw hard. I have read "his stats are ahead of his stuff" many times. Hopefully he is more than a Tommy Milone type

I knew he didn't throw hard but thought he could at least break 90 mph. How many major league starters that don't throw a knuckleball throw less than 90 mph?

#23 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:53 AM

I'm fine with playing Gordon at 2B once in a while so he has some familarity there, but I really think the chances of Vielma hitting well enough to be anything more than a backup/late-game defensive substitute at SS are slim.  If Gordon playing 2B semi-regularly is not a comment on his defensive ability at SS but rather on the front office's faith in Vielma to be a starting SS (either because his defense is so unbelievable it can carry a .600 OPS bat or because they think he has the chance to be only a poor hitter rather than a terrible one) then I guess I'll have to trust them. But boy, I don't want to limit Gordon's development at SS by playing him at 2B too often.

I think you underestimate vielma. He was over two years younger than the competition at aa last year and put up a 663 ops. He doesn't need to do much more than that at the mlb levels be a pretty nice asset. I'm a big vielma fan and am glad they're not prioritizing Gordon at his expense. Middle infield looks solid between vielma, Gordon and polanco.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fernando romero, stephen gonsalves, paul clemens, byung ho park, nick gordon