Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Surprises Mark Twins Opening Day Roster

byungho park robbie grossman adalberto mejia tyler duffey chris gimenez
  • Please log in to reply
392 replies to this topic

#381 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

My issue with that logic is if this new group is as analytical as we were sold, you could glean a lot of information about Danny Santana or Craig Breslow in a spreadsheet, fangraphs, or internal databases. And I would venture to bet a GM has access to every MLB pitch or AB a particular player has had in their MLB career.

Santana: agree, hard to see how he is still here other than luck of the draw. Breslow: he has reinvented himself to the extent that previous metrics no longer apply; he's a brand new player.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#382 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,861 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

I know this is going to be as popular as warm beer, but with what amounts to a two man bench, DanSan fills a specific need. There maybe another player on the market who can replace him easily. But we don't have him. And EE cannot play OF at all, and RG is remarkably the DH. (that said he can't play OF at all either) Park did put up nice numbers, but required a 40 man move. My other question on Park is whom did he hit the dingers off of? I just have a very hard time believing a veteran player with little exposure to ML fastballs is just going to change his swing and start catching up to big heat. Pitchers in ST work on THEIR stuff, not on opposing hitters. As to Falvine, if this roster was in a vacuum, I would start looking for a new FO. But it's not. Plus they are hamstrung with what I feel is an extremely poor manager. One that may have more of the owners ear than we acknowledge!
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#383 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,492 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Analytical or not, keeping Santana, a 6th INf and a 5th OF who can't play defense or hit well....at all, over Park is absolute madness.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#384 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:07 PM

Not sure be patient, give them time, expect big changes in two to four weeks... Not sure those thoughts are all congruent....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#385 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

Does the brain trust like Vargas that much? Keeping Park at AAA makes sense if the team thinks he'll be replaced by Vargas as soon as he's healthy. On DanSan, my thought is perhaps they think he'll relocate the magic beans from 2014 and again become a dynamic offensive player. The tools are still intriguing.

Like most posters here I'm not happy with the 25-man roster. I certainly expect a lot of change in the coming months.
  • DocBauer likes this

#386 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

RELAX.

Twins have the first pick on waiver wire and they're probably setting up initial roster to minimize 40 man roster decisions.

Let's check the 25 man roster in two weeks before jumping off the bridge.

Hopefully the older bullpen arms have good first halves to flip them for prospects.

Won't those same 40 man decisions still exist in two weeks?
  • USAFChief likes this

#387 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

Has the roster actually been set, or is it still up in the air? 

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#388 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:35 AM

Does it get submitted on a certain day or what

lots of speculation here and i've lost track 

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#389 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

The new management has not even had a chance to be around these players all that long. Or, see them in regular season games. My take on it is that they want to witness these guys and study them, along with a few guys they maybe had been familiar with around the league back in their Cleveland or Texas days. A month or so from now I imagine things will be adjusted according to what they witness.

I don't think that a rush to judgment is in order just yet.

Many have said preseason stats don't matter. Let's give them a chance to evaluate these players in games that do matter before evaluating how they shuffle the deck.

I think this is pretty accurate. They are still evaluating the players in hand, the 40 man, and even the minors. (Not to mention the organization as a whole). Understand, I am not a really happy camper with this roster as it stands today. And I absolutely would have tried to make a trade to keep Haley and send him down, thus keeping Park and providing a more flexible bench. But I truly believe this is another 2-4 weeks of EST to conduct evaluations and make decisions.
  • Dr. Evil likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#390 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

Is Park being held back similar to Kris Bryant after a stellar spring...pure economics? you have done a great job of covering a vast organization in a very short time.Keep up the good work Seth.I enjoy reading and being informed.

Park is not on the 40 man roster.That's why he was sent down. 

It's not my fault !

#391 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,805 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

To expand my thinking on Park/Vargas, if the team is still thinking Vargas is the better option, it might make sense to save a 40-man spot by sending Park to Rochester.

The club seemed averse to risking the loss of Haley, Santana and Tonkin, keeping them all on the active roster. They still have to make room for Gimenez.

#392 Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

No berrios is infuriating..

Miguel-Sano-300x197.jpg

#FireRyan

#FireMolitor

#393 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:19 PM

We will know more at the trade deadline, but a fair assumption is they are looking to contend in 2018. If they decide they want to institute a new 5 year plan, they can still deal Dozier and Ervin at anytime.

While they can trade these guys at any time, the question of return is key. I am of the opinion that in the offseason you have teams interested that may be out of it in July. And right now Dozier had two years left vs 1 year and 2 months in July. And the guy put up 40 plus HR last year. Odds are stacked against an increase in his stock price.

A similar case could be made for Ervin Santana.

The big issue for me is we have been terrible since 2011. If we were to ask ourselves which actions have the Twins taken in these 6 years that you would expect given the record? I could count a total of two rebuild type moves. The Span trade and the Revere trade. Two is not enough in six years.

Now I know I just opened the door for someone to tell me that these moves haven't worked out. Had we made 10 of them, several would have worked out. That is what we needed to do.

A few examples would be Dozier. Perkins. Willingham. Creativity around international free agents. Sign some flip candidates in free agency, etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byungho park, robbie grossman, adalberto mejia, tyler duffey, chris gimenez