Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Surprises Mark Twins Opening Day Roster

byungho park robbie grossman adalberto mejia tyler duffey chris gimenez
  • Please log in to reply
392 replies to this topic

#21 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:51 AM

Wow!

To start the season, Duffey's the long man, Haley will be hidden, Mauer is going to play 1B every day, Berrios may be the #6 starter.

Within a few weeks, they may need to find roster spaces for Park and Adrianza, and/or Vargas, if he's hitting well. Those will be interesting decisions.

Good point. Who else plays first?
  • bighat likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#22 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:51 AM

Leads me to believe they're coming out of the blocks very concerned about short starts from Santiago and Hughes in particular, and aren't ready to trust a couple of the others to give them longer starts either.

• glunn, gunnarthor, Loosey and 13 others like this

#23 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:52 AM

The thing that I'm struggling with on the Park decision is that he struggled with guys who could throw 95 mph heat last year.  By all reports, he has worked on it and made big improvements.  His reward?  Back to the minors.  What kind of a message does that send to him and the rest of the guys in the minors?  Work hard and improve on your weaknesses and you won't be rewarded....but work hard and improve on your weaknesses!

• glunn, Jerr, Mike Sixel and 9 others like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#24 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:52 AM

I thought Park would make it, but I'm not all that high on Park of Vargas, so I can live with Grossman as the primary DH out of the gate. I bet we see a decent chunk of Sano at DH too.

Kepler is probably the backup 1b right?

• glunn likes this
Papers...business papers.

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

I would guess Kepler is the backup 1B, yes.

13 pitchers, with off days. Must be some kind of stat head nerd geek thing no else has thought of....

• glunn, Jerr, DaveW and 7 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#26 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

When Mauer needs a rest they will put Grossman at 1B and DH Danny Santana. My source said they reached out to Jason Tyner but he is firmly retired.
  • glunn, Blake, Mike Sixel and 9 others like this

#27 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Gimenez played a lot of outfield in camp. How much outfield will he play during the regular season?
  • glunn likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#28 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

I would guess Kepler is the backup 1B, yes.

13 pitchers, with off days. Must be some kind of stat head nerd geek thing no else has thought of....

Looks like Gimenez at 1b.

I think 13 pitches represents the question marks in the rotation. 3 guys they are very uncertain of out of the chute.

• glunn, birdwatcher, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

#29 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

Gimenez played a lot of outfield in camp. How much outfield will he play during the regular season?

Grossman and Danny Santana baby!

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

So, once Adrianza is off the DL, does he have a spot on the roster? In place of whom?

He should take D Santanas spot for sure. Adrianza had a strong spring FWIW and can handle the infield way better than D San ever will.
  • glunn, alarp33, Twins33 and 5 others like this

#31 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

Leads me to believe they're coming out of the blocks very concerned about short starts from Santiago and Hughes in particular, and aren't ready to trust a couple of the others to give them longer starts either.

Concur. This was my exact thoughts reading the article. Not a lot of trust that Hughes or Santiago will pitch 6+ innings.
  • nater79a and MN_ExPat like this

#32 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

I know it is only spring training, and stats don't mean much if anything, but man Park deserved to make this roster.He clearly put in the work AND performed.If he continues to obliterate the ball at AAA they better call him up ASAP.

• glunn, Jerr, PopRiveter and 4 others like this

#33 SirLoin

SirLoin

• Members
  • 253 posts

Our pet's heads are falling off....

• ChiTownTwinsFan, glunn, Jerr and 10 others like this

#34 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Chris Gimenez is bringing his .602 OPS from last year to be a backup 1B? Mauer can do better than that even if he only faced LH pitchers.

DanSan?

I am not finding many of their moves what I would call 'inspiring'.

• Mike Sixel, DaveW, d-mac and 2 others like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#35 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:04 AM

This!  Have to believe Duffey and/or Haley are handcuffed to Santiago and Hughes on days that they pitch. Lot of short starts.

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#36 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:04 AM

This is not the best team they could bring north. I was hoping for an opening day roster that gave indications of changes in philosophy from Falvey and Levine that I liked. This is not that.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Jerr, Mike Sixel and 14 others like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#37 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

Couldnt they just bring duffey up if they meeded him
  • blindeke likes this

#38 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,492 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

They know exactly what they're doing. No doubt about that. And, it's just a short-term thing.

Also, when you have this short of a bench, a guy like Santana - even if he's not great in any defensive spot - has value.

They already have 4 OF who can play CF (or any other position)

Escobar can be the the super utility guy. Sano, Polanco and Dozier need to be playing 150 games this year anyways. Ditto with a Kepler, Buxton and Rosario. Santana is pointless at this stage. Esp with a short bench. They would be much much much better served having Park on the roster instead.

13 pitchers to start the season once again is nonsense. It's not like you have to worry about guys getting fatigued etc and there seem to be a bunch of random Off days early in the season anyways.

Grossman should be a 4th OF, not a DH.

His numbers won't justify it (unless he keeps up a .364 BABIP) what else did Park need to do to earn a spot??
  • Mike Sixel, PopRiveter, Oldgoat_MN and 6 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#39 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,492 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

This reeks of a Paul Molitor decision.
  • gunnarthor, blindeke, redstorm and 2 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#40 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

So some of you need to explain to me how if the explanation for Chargois is that he "didn't take it" (meaning his roster spot).....

Just what in the hell else did Park need to do to "take it"?

• Steve Lein, PopRiveter, Oldgoat_MN and 11 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byungho park, robbie grossman, adalberto mejia, tyler duffey, chris gimenez