Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Finalize Lefty Bullpen Picture

buddy boshers tommy field
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

As we have expected for some time now, the Twins will roll with Craig Breslow and Taylor Rogers as their two bullpen lefties to so start the season. Today they optioned Buddy Boshers to Rochester, while also reassigning infielder Tommy Field.

If Boshers had any chance left, he probably sealed his fate with a rocky outing on Sunday that saw him cough up four runs on two homers in one inning of work. Still, it's likely we will see him in Minnesota this summer. The southpaw had a good season in 2016 and is capable of handling hitters from both sides with a big curveball that induces whiffs.

Are you confident in Breslow and Rogers as the LH tandem at Paul Molitor's disposal?

• glunn likes this

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,801 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

If Rogers is a true LOOGY, yes. If he puts him out against decent or good RH? No. 

• Oldgoat_MN and SF Twins Fan like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#3 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

I think the advantage of Breslow is that his presence enables Molitor to deploy Rogers more in that role. CB has fairly neutral splits so he can be utilized as more of a standard middle reliever.

• glunn, Mike Sixel, ThejacKmp and 2 others like this

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,801 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

I think the advantage of Breslow is that his presence enables Molitor to deploy Rogers more in that role. CB has fairly neutral splits so he can be utilized as more of a standard middle reliever.

Agreed, assuming Breslow can actually pitch in regular games.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,617 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

The Twins could really use a dominant non-LOOGY who can get any kind of batter out. It would be really nice if Mason Melotakis stepped up. Or Jay I guess now.

• glunn, Oldgoat_MN, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

#6 Homer Hanky

Homer Hanky

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

The Twins could really use a dominant non-LOOGY who can get any kind of batter out. It would be really nice if Mason Melotakis stepped up. Or Jay I guess now.

Jay would/will be fantastic out of the pen. 

#7 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

IMO everyone after Pressly and Rogers is suspect. But Rogers is solid.

• Oldgoat_MN, HitInAPinch and Vanimal46 like this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,617 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

Jay would/will be fantastic out of the pen. 

I think I've heard that one before.

http://www.baseball-...from_type_unk=0

• Homer Hanky likes this

#9 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

All I care about is that a couple/several AAA and AA relievers pitch superbly and prove they're ready for the next step, that a couple/several of the seven uninspiring relievers that make the club out of camp pitch well enough to inspire trade deadline offers, and that Falvey finds someone to overpay for a couple/several of them when the time comes.

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

IMO everyone after Pressly and Rogers is suspect. But Rogers is solid.

I think they're all suspect.

• Blake, alarp33, mikelink45 and 1 other like this

#11 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,358 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

Boshers is AAAA organizational-depth. He didn't dominate and coughed up the lead in the 9th, the one time I saw him pitch in Pawtucket. QED. :)

An awful lot of teams have one or two guys in the bullpen who are shutdown-good. In that sense, I agree with the view that ours are all still suspects (or always have been).

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#12 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,731 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

As much as I would like to say there's no way this year can be as bad as last year, a lot is going to depend on the pitching staff bouncing back from last year.

I'm hoping the staff goes from horrible to middling. Although I'd accept terrible as a stepping stone to middling.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,041 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

I think Bosher's is still very tenuous on the 40 man personally.. Surprised he got optioned. 

#14 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,731 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

I think they're all suspect.

Okay, how quickly do pitchers get the hook this season? 4 bad starts in a row? (discounting poor fielding) 

Does one factor in "loud outs?" In that the pitcher is consistently giving up only 1 or 2 runs, but, a lot of those are due to atom ball line drives that are caught? (I remember Tom Kelly pulling Scott Erickson even though he hadn't given up more than a run or two yet, because Erickson was getting a lot of "loud outs." Mr. Kelly explained after the game.)

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,883 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

Breslow's new release point is supposed to make him more effective in getting LH hitters out.....we shall see. Rogers is definitely better against LH batters, but I think he's got the stuff to be effective against all hitters. Proper usage of both pitchers could help them be effective IMHO.

• Oldgoat_MN, mikelink45 and HitInAPinch like this

#16 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:36 AM

Breslow's new release point is supposed to make him more effective in getting LH hitters out.....we shall see. Rogers is definitely better against LH batters, but I think he's got the stuff to be effective against all hitters. Proper usage of both pitchers could help them be effective IMHO.

A LOOGY will never be more than a LOOGY unless he's given experience against Non-LOOGY hitters.

er, does that make any kind of sense??   LOL

• Mike Sixel and WLFINN like this

It's not my fault !

#17 dbminn

dbminn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

A LOOGY is a luxury that only a decent pitching staff can afford. The starting rotation has to eat innings and keep the score close. It all fits together - better defense and a better rotation will lead to a more efficient and specialized bullpen. Otherwise, it's "all hands on board", like the 2016 Twins.

• Oldgoat_MN, mikelink45 and Vanimal46 like this

#18 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:15 AM

This bullpen gives me no confidence. I like Taylor Rogers, young, good stuff, potential.  I do not like Breslow, old, experienced, changing his arm angle, but that is not enough.  Pressly has the stuff, but can he be consistent?  Not what I want in the back of the rotation yet. Hopefully Kintzler is not a one year - career year - bust - fingers crossed.  

Do we have a top 100 relief pitcher?  I have seen the top 30 rankings and I know we are not there.  

In this fantasy rating we are not in the top 40 http://www.fangraphs...ers/#more-93771

I know fantasy rankings are never the go to for stats, but I am looking for lists and in this one Kintzler is 37 and no one else makes the top 117 (except ex-Twin Liam Hendricks). https://www.fantasyp...rankings/rp.php

I do not know anything about Roster Resource, but I know we are not in their top 50 http://www.rosterres...tcher-rankings/

I know that we talk about trades from the Twins Roster, but who would want to trade for what we have?  Who really looks good to someone outside of Minnesota?  

#19 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:21 AM

Boshers is AAAA organizational-depth. He didn't dominate and coughed up the lead in the 9th, the one time I saw him pitch in Pawtucket. QED. :)

An awful lot of teams have one or two guys in the bullpen who are shutdown-good. In that sense, I agree with the view that ours are all still suspects (or always have been).

I can't remember the last time I heard or read QED used properly.

And couched in sarcasm, to boot.

You're a star!

• ashburyjohn and HitInAPinch like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buddy boshers, tommy field