Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Report From The Fort: Berrios Gone, Duffey v. Mejia

jose berrios tyler duffey adalberto mejia
  • Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,545 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

http://twinsdaily.co...mejia/?p=593730

So, you are asking who specifically made the decision?

Not sure what you are getting at with all this ...

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#22 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

I forgot you are in Florida trying to have fun, so I will drop it :)

"Berrios is not stretched out" is one of those perfectly reasonable sounding things that, actually, doesn't hold up as well when you scrutinize it.

Molitor has already implied that Berrios wouldn't be able to "get his work in" and I was wondering if someone with the Twins told that to Bonnes directly this morning. That's all. 

I mean, I'm not disagreeing, I'm just asking for more information, because it sounds too much like Twins-speak. I think Berrios would be just fine getting stretched out for a 75-90 pitch start on April 8 or thereabouts. 

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#23 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

I'm not sure why anybody is surprised Berrios went to AAA to start the year. It's not like he's being punished or banished. He was dreadful in MLB last year and hasn't shown any proof this spring that he's addressed those root cause of his issues. Even the limited innings he got in WBC were basically a repeat of what we saw last year in Minnesota. If he'd stayed in camp and worked with his coaches in a controlled environment then maybe they'd have worked through those issues a bit and he'd get more of an opportunity. Instead, he'll have to go to AAA to work on it while the Twins use this last week of ST to get the actual rotation candidates set up for Opening Day. There aren't enough innings to keep 7-8 starting pitchers going in this last week.

Also, despite what some people think Santiago was in far better shape with regards to innings/pitches thrown. He'll probably throw 75-80 pitches today and has another appearance later this week. He'll easily be ready to throw 100 in his first start of the season.

• BigSkyTwinsFan, Dantes929 and milldam like this

#24 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

I'm not sure why anybody is surprised Berrios went to AAA to start the year.  

Surprised? Nope. I don't think that's the word you are looking for. 

#25 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

Surprised? Nope. I don't think that's the word you are looking for.

Okay. I don't know why anyone would be upset at the Twins over this development. Disappointed, sure. I am too. But often times things don't go perfectly and there are little setbacks along the way. That's especially true in baseball.

#26 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

The Twins management seems to just search for rationales for why to send their prospects back to the minor leagues.  Seriously, we have been in this "rebuild" for years upon years.  Since 2011 we have lost 99, 96, 96, 92 , 79, and 103 baseball games, and all the while our management has essentially pretended were were some sort of contender and plugging in old has beens to perform mediocre at best, rather than LOSE WITH OUR PROSPECTS.

WHat more does JJ Berios and JT Chargois have to prove at the AAA level?

Berrios as a 21 year old had a 2.62 ERA over 75 innings at AAA.  He followed that up with 2.51 ERA over 111 innings as a 22 year old before the Twins decided "Hey we should bring him up."  He struggles so the braintrust at the top loses all confidence in him and would rather pitch Phil Hughes for a 100 innings before he blows his elbow out rather than give Berrios teh experience.

The same holds true with Chargois.  Chargois is 26 years old.  I get that the arm injuries severely slowed down his career path, but what more do you want to see him do in AAA?  Have a sub 1.00 ERA and K/9 > 11?  

YOu put Berrios in the starting rotation and Chargois as at least your set up man from day 1 this season, AND YOU STICK WITH THEM.  THAT IS HOW YOU BUILD YOUR TEAM FOR THE FUTURE.  LOSE NOW, LET THE PROSPECTS GET EXPERIENCE, SORT OUT THE GOOD ONES FROM THE BAD.

The way this is going, it will be another 6 years of 90+ losses before they can straighten this out.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt, mikelink45 and 3 others like this

#27 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

The Twins management seems to just search for rationales for why to send their prospects back to the minor leagues.  Seriously, we have been in this "rebuild" for years upon years.  Since 2011 we have lost 99, 96, 96, 92 , 79, and 103 baseball games, and all the while our management has essentially pretended were were some sort of contender and plugging in old has beens to perform mediocre at best, rather than LOSE WITH OUR PROSPECTS.

WHat more does JJ Berios and JT Chargois have to prove at the AAA level?

Berrios as a 21 year old had a 2.62 ERA over 75 innings at AAA.  He followed that up with 2.51 ERA over 111 innings as a 22 year old before the Twins decided "Hey we should bring him up."  He struggles so the braintrust at the top loses all confidence in him and would rather pitch Phil Hughes for a 100 innings before he blows his elbow out rather than give Berrios teh experience.

The same holds true with Chargois.  Chargois is 26 years old.  I get that the arm injuries severely slowed down his career path, but what more do you want to see him do in AAA?  Have a sub 1.00 ERA and K/9 > 11?  

YOu put Berrios in the starting rotation and Chargois as at least your set up man from day 1 this season, AND YOU STICK WITH THEM.  THAT IS HOW YOU BUILD YOUR TEAM FOR THE FUTURE.  LOSE NOW, LET THE PROSPECTS GET EXPERIENCE, SORT OUT THE GOOD ONES FROM THE BAD.

The way this is going, it will be another 6 years of 90+ losses before they can straighten this out.

Right on, Dude! (I'm a child of the 60's) My sentiments exactly! Though I think Berrios screwed the pooch by picking WC over spring training. His choice sure wouldn't blow up my skirt if I was the manager.

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,214 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

As much as I hate to see Berrios optioned, this was the right decision. Mejia and Duffey have been in camp competing for a job. Berrios spent the past few weeks mostly sitting on WBC pine.

I don't fault Jose for the decision but it should knock him down a peg in the pecking order.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, luckylager, BigSkyTwinsFan and 4 others like this

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,057 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

I'm not shocked...I'm not disappointed either. 

• diehardtwinsfan, DJSim22, Danchat and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#30 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

I don't think the "wind blowing in" helped get Duffy 10 Ks.... Nice work.... good to see him pitching well (which he will need to do to serve the team well in the starting line up or the pen)

#31 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

I find it exciting that Mejia and Duffy are battling it out for the 5 spot. Berrios is 22 going on 23. He will be in the mix shortly.

Edited by Bark's Lounge, 25 March 2017 - 07:11 PM.

• BigSkyTwinsFan, Jham and DocBauer like this

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#32 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

As much as I hate to see Berrios optioned, this was the right decision. Mejia and Duffey have been in camp competing for a job. Berrios spent the past few weeks mostly sitting on WBC pine.

I don't fault Jose for the decision but it should knock him down a peg in the pecking order.

Berrios has been looking forward to pitching in the WBC for three years. I doubt he sprung this on the Twins at the last moment.
  • d-mac likes this

#33 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,214 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

Berrios has been looking forward to pitching in the WBC for three years. I doubt he sprung this on the Twins at the last moment.

I didn't mean to imply that at all. Berrios made a decision and it hindered his ability to compete in Spring Training.

There's nothing wrong with that, as I commend the guy for wanting to pitch for his country... but given the roster competition from the Twins perspective, he kind of took himself out of the running for an Opening Day position.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Thrylos, diehardtwinsfan and 9 others like this

#34 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

So, when will we see Berrios up in the Bigs? With Mejia and Duffey blocking Berrios' path to the Bigs I have a pessimistic feeling we won't see Berrios till at least mid June to mid July since there it doesn't look like the Twins will have a pitcher for Berrios to replace.

Also, with Berrios being separated from the Twins pitching coaches I fear Berrios will fail much like last year as it seems what Berrios is being coached in Rochester is not what the Twins want to coach Berrios. Last year it seemed there was a huge disconnect between the Twins and Red Wings on Berrios' development. How is Molly, Neil Allen and co going to coach up Berrios if he may spend a month plus in Rochester?

I just want Berrios to turn the corner, instead I see the same failure for Berrios and we will have to hope Duffey and Mejia can be better than advertised because I am becoming more doubtful that Berrios will hit his ceiling with the Twins. So stupid of Berrios to pitch in the WBC, it makes me think he doesn't care to be a top flight pitcher.
  • beckmt and sploorp like this

#35 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,417 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

I don't think the "wind blowing in" helped get Duffy 10 Ks.... Nice work.... good to see him pitching well (which he will need to do to serve the team well in the starting line up or the pen)

AA game, which at this point is more like high A hitters.

Perspective.

• D.C Twins likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#36 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

So, when will we see Berrios up in the Bigs? With Mejia and Duffey blocking Berrios' path to the Bigs I have a pessimistic feeling we won't see Berrios till at least mid June to mid July since there it doesn't look like the Twins will have a pitcher for Berrios to replace.

Also, with Berrios being separated from the Twins pitching coaches I fear Berrios will fail much like last year as it seems what Berrios is being coached in Rochester is not what the Twins want to coach Berrios. Last year it seemed there was a huge disconnect between the Twins and Red Wings on Berrios' development. How is Molly, Neil Allen and co going to coach up Berrios if he may spend a month plus in Rochester?

I just want Berrios to turn the corner, instead I see the same failure for Berrios and we will have to hope Duffey and Mejia can be better than advertised because I am becoming more doubtful that Berrios will hit his ceiling with the Twins. So stupid of Berrios to pitch in the WBC, it makes me think he doesn't care to be a top flight pitcher.

Only in the Twins organization would pitchers like Duffey and Mejia block their top pitching prospect.  

#37 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

Their needs to be A better working relationship between MLB and the WBC.

It seems like adding a few games and inning minimums for each pitcher on the roster would be an easy way to avoid issues like this. Or hell, allowing a Twins staff memeber to accompany a guy like Berrios and work him on the side so he can both play for his country and further his MLB career. A 22 year old should not have to pick between the two.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco and d-mac like this

#38 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

We should start a collection of all the banal things the Twins do, similar to all other orgs, that result in a post with "only in the Twins org would..."
  • diehardtwinsfan, Dantes929, adorduan and 1 other like this
Papers...business papers.

#39 Dakota Diver

Dakota Diver

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

Berries didn't pitch good at major league level a year ago. He didn't pitch good in world games. Why would he be ready to pitch in the majors now? Give him .time at AAA to work things out and bring him up the end of June if he deserves it! You will also gain a year of control which is important to small market team.
  • Taildragger8791 likes this

#40 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

Only in the Twins organization would pitchers like Duffey and Mejia block their top pitching prospect.  

It's all relative. For some teams their top pitching prospect is a can't-miss stud who would never put himself in a position to be blocked by marginal back-end pitchers. For other teams that top pitching prospect is an at-best mid-rotation guy that is mightily struggling to leap from AAA to MLB.

When your top pitching prospect is completely and utterly out of his element against major league hitters, and hasn't shown any progress towards competence, then yeah it makes sense to let them develop in the minors where they won't utterly destroy his own and your team's morale.

Edited by Taildragger8791, 25 March 2017 - 10:19 PM.

• luckylager likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, tyler duffey, adalberto mejia