Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Who gets dropped from the 40 Man?

40-man roster gimenez
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

All in all, a good season.

• 1,959 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

DanSan would probably not be claimed and we could let Murphy and Haley go. Felix Jorge and Randy Rosario would probably get through without being claimed as well.

Someone might claim Tonkin and use him to his strength (1 inning at a time) rather than how Molitor uses him. Buddy Boshers would almost certainly get claimed, as he was our best BP pitcher other than Trevor May last year.

I just really cannot see keeping Haley unless the new FO believes they have some level of infallibility, so he must be good because they picked him up.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#22 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,972 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

May on the 60 (already done)
Perkins on the 60 (possible/likely)
Adrianza/Tonkin would have to be taken off 40 if they don't make team
Haley also has to clear waivers

Haley was rule 5, he has to stay on the 25 unless they trade or returned and the be waived and clear. If he's worth trading for, why risk him to waivers?

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

The Twins have a full 40-man roster.

Looks like there will be no spots needed for SPs

Looks like the May to 60 day deal took care of Breslow and no more spots will be needed for the bullpen.

Spots will be needed for:

Chris Gimenez - back up C(1 spot)

also

There is a 3-way fight for the 1B/DH type between Park/Vargas(40 man)/Hague .If Park (likely he should) or Hague make it, they need 1 most spot (2 spots)

also there is another 3 way fight for the 25th man spot between D.Santana (40-man)/E.Adrianza (40 man) and B Gonzalez.Santana looks like will get that spot, but regardless this battle will open a 40 man spot (even if Gonzalez gets it that will be -2 +1)so (1 spot needed net)

If either Tonkin or Haley do not make it, that will open another spot.I cannot see both making it, so that will take care of the last spot needed.So you do not need Perkins' 60-day DL spot yet.

Boshers has an option left, so there is no need to risk losing him now

That adds up.

Edited by Thrylos, 22 March 2017 - 06:07 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,989 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Are we seriously suggesting we drop Tonkin over Boshers?I understand that Tonkin hasn't exactly lit the world on fire, but there's no way I'd drop him first. 

Boshers is the first guy I'd drop.DanSan is probably 2.Haley is up there too (though I'd be in favor of working out a trade).

#25 Linus

Linus

• 2,402 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Send Haley back. He's done nothing and I don't see anything in him that warranted the top rule 5 selection. Do not compound the mistake by keeping him around for no reason.
  • spinowner and sftwinsfan like this

#26 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

Writer

• 1,210 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Haley was rule 5, he has to stay on the 25 unless they trade or returned and the be waived and clear. If he's worth trading for, why risk him to waivers?

If Haley doesn't make it, he has to clear waivers, then be offered back to Boston for a specific amount (more than before due to new CBA, but I don't recall how much). They can work out a trade, but what are the odds he's worth a trade but not worth keeping on the roster with the number of relievers they have in the system? I wouldn't say terribly high. 

Follow me on Twitter: @Brandon_Warne

Follow Zone Coverage on Twitter: @ZoneCoverageMN

#27 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,972 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

If Haley doesn't make it, he has to clear waivers, then be offered back to Boston for a specific amount (more than before due to new CBA, but I don't recall how much). They can work out a trade, but what are the odds he's worth a trade but not worth keeping on the roster with the number of relievers they have in the system? I wouldn't say terribly high.

agreed. I guess either he's worth stashing on the 25 as the long man or return him. If he can't make it on one of the bottom 3 pitching staffs in MLB. He ain't getting claimed. No sense in worrying too much about it.

Edited by Sconnie, 22 March 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,448 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:55 PM

Are we seriously suggesting we drop Tonkin over Boshers? I understand that Tonkin hasn't exactly lit the world on fire, but there's no way I'd drop him first.

Boshers is the first guy I'd drop. DanSan is probably 2. Haley is up there too (though I'd be in favor of working out a trade).

Why? Boshers has an option left. The Twins have 5 Michael Tonkins in the minors to sift through. He's had his chances to prove something, and he's just a typical 6-7th inning reliever.

Eventually they need to trim the fat from that large group of middle relievers. Why not now beginning with Tonkin?
  • Mike Sixel, beckmt and Sconnie like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 40-man roster, gimenez