Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Tyler Duffey Shines In Spotlight Start

tyler duffey adalberto mejia paul molitor
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

Soooo, Phil Hughes got lit up again today - 2 innings, 9 hits, 6 earned runs and 2 home runs. Do you think there is any chance that (1) Hughes will be put on the 10 day disabled list before the season starts and (2) that both Duffy and Mejia (or someone else) will be in the rotation? I know that ST stats "don't mean anything" but Hughes now sports a 27.00 ERA this sporing. It looks like he needs more time at AAA or somewhere else  before he rounds back into form, if he ever does. 

He should at least start the season in the bullpen. But I doubt that will even happen. It clearly looks like his velo isn't back yet. 

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#22 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

They need both Mejia and Duffey starting somewhere to begin the season. if Mejia wins the spot they need to keep Duffey stretched out in AAA.

#23 Lefty

Lefty

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

If Duffy has 4-5 pitches, how many did Pedro or Maddux have!?!

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,214 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

If Duffy has 4-5 pitches, how many did Pedro or Maddux have!?!

Under these rules, Pedro had 17 changeups alone.

I'm not taking a dig at Duffey here (well, not really) and I realize his fastballs and curves are different offerings... But the guy could use a changeup or slider in a big way. The curves are great and all but having something with bite that complements the fastball would go a long way.

Having two fastballs and two curves is not the same as having a fastball, slider, change, and curve.

• snepp likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyler duffey, adalberto mejia, paul molitor