Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Berardino: Twins build Culture Club with five low-cost veterans

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 15,831 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

Of the 5 mentioned in this article only Beslie and Breslow interest me at all.
The rest? No reason why they should sniff the major league roster

Breslow interests me more than Belisle ... not sure why. Maybe it's his approach through his career, being smart, and open minded, looking for new and better ways to be successful. I like that story. And, I have to say, I really haven't paid too close of attention of the two to know how they've been this spring.

But Breslow's approach, his seeking out information, always trying to find a new way to prolong and improve his career ... that's not a bad thing for young kids to see and learn from.
  • nicksaviking and Oldgoat_MN like this

#62 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Cooperstown

• Twins Mods
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

Breslow interests me more than Belisle ... not sure why. Maybe it's his approach through his career, being smart, and open minded, looking for new and better ways to be successful. I like that story. And, I have to say, I really haven't paid too close of attention of the two to know how they've been this spring.

But Breslow's approach, his seeking out information, always trying to find a new way to prolong and improve his career ... that's not a bad thing for young kids to see and learn from.

Yeah, Breslow interests me much more because at 36-years-old he saw that what he was doing wasn't working anymore and made an active and substantial effort to try something difficult and new and most importantly it sounds like he's willing to preach his progressive attitude with younger guys. He might have more future off field value than on field value but I like it.

However out of the brand new culture club, only Castro is signed past this year. The Twins brought Torii Hunter in for this exact same reason two years ago and it appears that this veteran leadership stuff may not be something that's transferable. So does this mean the team is going to bring in a ton of these high culture/low production vets every single year? That's going to drive me crazy if that's the case.

• Mike Sixel and Oldgoat_MN like this

#63 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, Breslow interests me much more because at 36-years-old he saw that what he was doing wasn't working anymore and made an active and substantial effort to try something difficult and new and most importantly it sounds like he's willing to preach his progressive attitude with younger guys. He might have more future off field value than on field value but I like it.

However out of the brand new culture club, only Castro is signed past this year. The Twins brought Torii Hunter in for this exact same reason two years ago and it appears that this veteran leadership stuff may not be something that's transferable. So does this mean the team is going to bring in a ton of these high culture/low production vets every single year? That's going to drive me crazy if that's the case.

Correct, once a player leaves, all the other players forget everything he taught them about culture. Every. Last. Thing.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#64 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

If the name of the game was signing "replacement level high character" guys, the Twins would be a dynasty.
  • Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN and Platoon like this

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#65 S.

S.

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

So does this mean the team is going to bring in a ton of these high culture/low production vets every single year? That's going to drive me crazy if that's the case.

I think this is just the new Twins way of referring to dumpster dive signings. But don't worry, guys, we only sign the finest garbage from the heap!

#66 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

I think this is just the new Twins way of referring to dumpster dive signings. But don't worry, guys, we only sign the finest garbage from the heap!

the-otto-show16.png?w=655

Bart: Otto-Man? You're living in a dumpster?
Otto: Ho, man, I wish. Dumpster-brand trash bins are top-of-the-line. This is just a Trash-Co waste disposal unit.

• Mike Sixel, Willihammer, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#67 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

We cut Vogelsong? Hopefully the karma chameleon doesnt come back to bite our culture club...
  • Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and spycake like this

#68 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Wasn't Suzuki a "veteran leader"? So won't losing him offset the gains from these veteran replacement level players? Some of these things are starting to feel like Monopoly money - fun when you play the board game, but it doesn't count for anything at the bank.

Used car dealers around the Metro are going to start advertising their worst-selling cars with balky engines as having value for providing veteran leadership to young drivers.
  • Mike Sixel and Oldgoat_MN like this
If I had to do the same again, I would, my friend, Fernando!