Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Berardino: Twins build Culture Club with five low-cost veterans

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 7,721 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

But if I were on the 40-man, and if my birthdate were earlier than about 1990*, I would be irritated, I think.

* Notice I said "and". :)

Irritated why? The "leaders" of an 103 loss team were not good leaders.Instead of irritated, they need to go, starting with that Dozier...

• Sconnie likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 15,587 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

I'm a big believer in chemistry and I do believe that anything is possible in this great game and I don't want to sound dismissive with an idea that I actually believe in. 

However... I want to state that it was our veterans that were the main cause of 2016... not the youth and I'm growing tired of any narrative that suggests otherwise.

When you sort by At Bats... 7 out of the top 10 were veteran ball players. When you sort by Games Started... 6 out of the top 8 were veteran pitchers. And... We were not overflowing with youth in the bullpen either so we can't hang our bullpen issues on Chargois or Light.

It wasn't youth that brought us down... Molitor willingly went down with the ship of veteran leaders. Polanco and Kepler were watching on the bench and consistently not playing while our vets had us out of the race by the end of April. 

If we are bringing in Veterans to help teach our youth. I think those veterans should probably start by teaching our veterans since those are the guys that Molly will play. 

If you want to change this type of culture. You do it by demanding performance. You do it be raising expectation. You won't get there by giving vets a pass and then complaining about the youth. It's time to actually sing for your supper. 

Instead of going down with the ship in 2017... Toss them overboard until you find a core of performers that can keep the ship afloat. 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief, glunn and 13 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

More veterans than youth... Which pitchers are being mentored?
  • birdwatcher, Riverbrian, Sconnie and 4 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#24 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

I wish for once the press would actually hold this club accountable rather than just being a glorified PR arm of the team.
This off-season has been a D at best IMO, they barely improved the 2017 team (Castro is a decent signing) and haven't managed to make the 2018-2020 teams better (Failure to make any trades) like I guess it's nice they signed a few veterans on the cheap, and culture IS important, but honestly, they are just putting lipstick on a pig at this point IMO with articles like this.

It's not poorly written or anything, just frustrating this is the kind of stuff that is getting written leading up to the season (not about the big trade that was made or the impact signing that should have happened etc)

On the contrary, I think it tells us Levine and Falvey think there is no leadership potential within our young core of guys. That tells me a lot, because I happen to disagree 10000%
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#25 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Irritated why? The "leaders" of an 103 loss team were not good leaders.Instead of irritated, they need to go, starting with that Dozier...

I will never forgive Dozier for leading the Twins pitching staff to that 5.08 ERA. Crappy leadership, Brian.;)   

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 7 others like this

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

Dozier was the only veteran still standing when the Twins started playing good baseball in late July. Why single him out?
  • USAFChief, DJSim22, adorduan and 1 other like this
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

Dozier was the only veteran still standing when the Twins started playing good baseball in late July. Why single him out?

Because he is part of the problem, like Santana, Kintzler and all other veterans, plus he is tradable.

-----

#28 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

Admittedly, I'm far more interested in parts of baseball outside of metrics than most here.I find that the front office brought in so many veterans interesting for two reasons: 1.I think they want some vets who will get on the vets we have currently.At least this is how I've been reading articles, tweets, ect.2. Like I am, I don't they are blown away with the guys coming up.Or at least they don't think guys will be knocking down the door this year.That's my reading of the tea leaves. 

• glunn, Riverbrian and Ex-Iowegian like this

#29 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

How is dozier part of the problem??

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#30 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

How is dozier part of the problem??

He was one of the "leaders" in the 103 L team, which means that a. his leadership skills were lacking by 1. being interested more in individual vs team achievement or 2.. lacking the ability to inspire/move/take his teammates on his back and strive for a winning season.

That's why...

• Platoon likes this
-----

#31 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 15,831 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

He was one of the "leaders" in the 103 L team, which means that a. his leadership skills were lacking by 1. being interested more in individual vs team achievement or 2.. lacking the ability to inspire/move/take his teammates on his back and strive for a winning season.

That's why...

I'm sorry, Thrylos, but you have no inside knowledge of this whatsoever. It's your opinion based solely on the fact Dozier had a career year and the results over all didn't match. That means and proves absolutely diddlysquat. Yes, I said diddlysquat. You have no idea what Dozier tried and didn't try. And there were 25 other guys on that team, too, yet it's all on Dozier? And further, everything I have read about the kind of person Dozier is, none of it was ever 'me first.' It was a losing team, period. That is not on Dozier alone one iota, maybe not even a part iota. I know you just want everyone and everything gone that Terry Ryan ever touched, smelled, spoke to or saw, but that honestly is not the way forward and doesn't taint things moving forward at all.
  • Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan, DJSim22 and 7 others like this

#32 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

Felix Hernandez has been the leader of a lot of bad Mariners teams. They were bad because:

( A ) He's a selfish player
( B ) He couldn't inspire his teammates to win
( C ) The teams were just plain terrible and there was really nothing he could do about it

( C ) is probably the correct answer... although if the Mariners, after their 101-loss season in 2010, decided to blame their "bad leader" for it and wished to dump him onto some other team (like, say, the Twins), I wouldn't have talked them out of it.:)

• Mike Sixel and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:25 PM

I'm sorry, Thrylos, but you have no inside knowledge of this whatsoever. It's your opinion based solely on the fact Dozier had a career year and the results over all didn't match. That means and proves absolutely diddlysquat. Yes, I said diddlysquat. You have no idea what Dozier tried and didn't try. And there were 25 other guys on that team, too, yet it's all on Dozier? And further, everything I have read about the kind of person Dozier is, none of it was ever 'me first.' It was a losing team, period. That is not on Dozier alone one iota, maybe not even a part iota. I know you just want everyone and everything gone that Terry Ryan ever touched, smelled, spoke to or saw, but that honestly is not the way forward and doesn't taint things moving forward at all.

We all have one piece of data:

103 losses.

Undisputable, no?

Were the leaders of that team effective? 

I'd say no, and I bet that would be the answer (opinion) of 99% of the people out there

Was Dozier a leader?It really does not matter.If he were, he was ineffective (and he should go) and if he were not, he is selfish (all those home runs, he better care about leading the team to a better record) and he should go.

No middle way about this one

1-0-3.

FACT

-----

#34 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

Felix Hernandez has been the leader of a lot of bad Mariners teams. They were bad because:

( A ) He's a selfish player
( B ) He couldn't inspire his teammates to win
( C ) The teams were just plain terrible and there was really nothing he could do about it

( C ) is probably the correct answer... although if the Mariners, after their 101-loss season in 2010, decided to blame their "bad leader" for it and wished to dump him onto some other team (like, say, the Twins), I wouldn't have talked them out of it.:)

Felix Hernandez killed himself and 2 people (who are suing his estate, btw) while driving his boat high on cocaine and way above the legal alcohol limit (Facts).

I'd say A was likely the correct answer here...

-----

#35 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

Felix Hernandez killed himself and 2 people (who are suing his estate, btw) while driving his boat high on cocaine and way above the legal alcohol limit (Facts).

I'd say A was likely the correct answer here...

That wasn't Felix Hernandez.

• glunn, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#36 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,881 posts

I think you are getting your players confused

#37 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 6,582 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

tenor.gif

• USAFChief, DaveW, Hosken Bombo Disco and 4 others like this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#38 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 15,831 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:36 PM

We all have one piece of data:

103 losses.

Undisputable, no?

Were the leaders of that team effective? 

I'd say no, and I bet that would be the answer (opinion) of 99% of the people out there

Was Dozier a leader?It really does not matter.If he were, he was ineffective (and he should go) and if he were not, he is selfish (all those home runs, he better care about leading the team to a better record) and he should go.

No middle way about this one

1-0-3.
FACT

The only fact in there is that the Twins lost 103 games. There is no correlation that the fault of that lies on Dozier. None. You are not spouting facts here when you go beyond that ... only opinion. Do not mix the two up. You don't know diddlysquat at what leadership there was or wasn't and from whom, so to put this on Dozier is just you looking for a scapegoat and throwing out accusations without any proof whatsoever.

• DJSim22, snepp and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#39 Rhino and Compass

Rhino and Compass

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

If these 5 are really a new Culture Club for the Twins, I can only ask... Derek Falvey, do you really want to hurt me? Do you REALLY want to make me cry?

• USAFChief, glunn, Mike Sixel and 7 others like this

I [heart] to fart

#40 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:58 AM

I guess I'll wait for year 2 of the new regime before I really start ripping them. 

And then,Ooooooo......

It's not my fault !