Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Tyler Jay Shifting To The Bullpen (Minor League Notebook)

tyler jay lachlan wells aaron whitefield mitchell kranson alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#161 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

So they drafted him at #6 because he had the "stuff," to be a front of the rotation piece. Now they're moving him back to the bullpen because he doesn't have the enough of a mix to be a starter. But this doesn't look like a bad pick and the move doesn't have any negative impact on future rotations? Hmmm....those don't seem to mesh.

I'm not sure which is more taxing; the mental gymnastics performed to rationalize the move or the physical toll from bending over backwards to defend it. 

• Mike Sixel, Danchat, laloesch and 2 others like this

#162 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

In my eyes, the front office loses a little credibility from the stand point that they were supposed to excel at developing pitching talent. If they don't think they can turn a lefty with a plus fastball and slider, with a four pitch mix into a frontline starter than who can they turn into one?

We'll find that out as they bring their own guys into the system.

#163 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

Changes like this are to be expected as the new leadership gains familiarity with all the players.

Their willingness to direct some real in house talent towards a bullpen that in the past was largely a scrap heap of recycled players gets me excited. It shows that a dominant bullpen is on their radar screen and not an afterthought as in the past.
The artist formerly known as Spikecurveball.

#164 ShouldaCouldaWoulda

ShouldaCouldaWoulda

• Members
  • 701 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

Rosario likely isn't on the Twins future radar, I'd assume? Is there something obvious with his pitch repertoire that he could do in the pen that would somehow improve his K% DRASTICALLY? I just don't seem him as (useful) MLB bullpen arm.

#165 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

They need to draft their own guys in order to develop them? Someone call me in 5 years....
  • Mike Sixel, ALessKosherScott and jud6312 like this

#166 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

So they drafted him at #6 because he had the "stuff," to be a front of the rotation piece. Now they're moving him back to the bullpen because he doesn't have the enough of a mix to be a starter. But this doesn't look like a bad pick and the move doesn't have any negative impact on future rotations? Hmmm....those don't seem to mesh.

I'm not sure which is more taxing; the mental gymnastics performed to rationalize the move or the physical toll from bending over backwards to defend it. 

You realize the people making this decision are not the ones that drafted him, right? I think you'll find the entire ordeal less taxing if you come to terms with that.

I was not a huge fan of this selection when it was made. I'm not calling it a good pick and I don't really see anyone else doing so. But the hand-wringing over what a big mistake it was is moot. And if Jay fulfills his potential in the bullpen it's not going to look like a terrible draft pick in hindsight. It's just not. 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Steve Lein, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

#167 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

You realize the people making this decision are not the ones that drafted him, right? I think you'll find the entire ordeal less taxing if you come to terms with that.

I was not a huge fan of this selection when it was made. I'm not calling it a good pick and I don't really see anyone else doing so. But the hand-wringing over what a big mistake it was is moot. And if Jay fulfills his potential in the bullpen it's not going to look like a terrible draft pick in hindsight. It's just not. 

Thanks for the FO update...

I must be misreading the posts defending the selection of Jay at #6 then. The criticism of the move is about what the Twins thought he was going to be when he was drafted and where he is now. When you select a player #6 overall with the idea he'll be a starting pitcher and two seasons later he is going to be in the bullpen full time that is a bad selection at that spot. If he becomes Andrew Miller as some have stated then sure, the pick doesn't look so bad, but that isn't the case right now. To me, that issue isn't in the lease bit moot/debatable. 

• laloesch, twinssouth and jud6312 like this

#168 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:45 PM

They need to draft their own guys in order to develop them? Someone call me in 5 years....

Doing what they think is best to develop someone from the old regime and that Jay may not have been their pick with the six pick in 2015 draft aren't at all related.

#169 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

Alright I'm not wading thru 9 pages of posts but I get the gist is that fans are upset of drafting Tyler Jay #6 overall and the team is turning him into a power reliever instead of as a starter.  Is that right? Okay.  Well the same guys aren't running the organization that thought he was a potential starting pitcher.  In fact quite a few if not the majority of baseball minds thought of Jay as a shutdown reliever not as a starter, and it looks like Levine and Falvey are in the same boat.

I actually find this kind of funny as Mike Berardino and I were talking about Jay (and a few others) going to the pen eventually and building a superpen.  We both agreed Jay has a better two pitch combo than pretty much anyone else currently in the Twins relief corps but might as well let him fail as a SP for a year or two following the "let them fail first as a SP before turning them into RP" philosophy that most go thru.  Falvey and Levine don't agree and see Ty Jay as an asset that can help a lot sooner (mid 2017 or start of 2018) than he would as a starter if he ever did turn out as a starter.  

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Nick Nelson, Steve Lein and 3 others like this

#170 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

Now you're getting it. 

15108135.jpg

Vanimal, did you steal my Palpatine quote?...lol

• Vanimal46 and D.C Twins like this

#171 Darius

Darius

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

A few glaringly obvious questions that id like to have answered by someone in the organization:

1). Why start Jay for so long? If it's about "speeding up his path to the majors," on a bottom dwelling team, why wasn't this the case before? What changed since last year (honest question)?

2). If there is such a glaring need in the bullpen, why not sign some veterans for a few million bucks + on short a contract? Some actual helpful bullpen arms, instead of minor league deals. You know, taxpayer funded stadium, piles of cash, etc, etc.

3). Weren't we told they didn't need bullpen arms recently, hence no free agents (outside of minor league deals)? Now, is there a surplus of SPs?

4). Back to "quickest path to the majors". He's at AA. Are you planning on him breaking camp, or getting a June call up? If not, what's the big timeline difference, here? If he makes strides this year as a starter, it's conceivable for him to get starts with the Twins next year.

I'm not even saying it's the wrong move. But, It's absolutely dumbfounding how they handle some of these players, botch their development, then roll out these thoughtless contradictory for convenience. Like they can't be bothered to take the time explain the real reason to the serfdom, because it's beyond our understanding.

Frankly, the tax payers lining their pockets deserve better than the brain-trust repeatedly frosting turds, and trying to sell them as Milky Ways. Just admit you're a turd salesman.
  • twinssouth likes this

#172 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

What evidence is there of this being true? Honest question. His numbers last year were OK for a college first-rounder in Single-A, nothing more. He has two excellent pitches – which played down in a starting role – and beyond that, meh. What gives him the makeup of a #1 or #2 starter in your mind?  

The Twins might be painting this publicly as a move toward getting him to the majors faster, or a capitulation to his desires, but they wouldn't be doing it if they believed he had a good chance to become a 1/2 starter. I guarantee you that. 

A player who was drafted specifically for his prospect to be a future #1/#2 has already washed out as a starter. This is the problem that I was pointing out (not as to whether he currently has --or has ever had--- the potential to be a #1/#2...this is not my job as I'm neither a scout, nor have I seen him play in person).

Luckily we have history to instruct us about how the Twins valued a potential closer...That would be the 72nd pick (Chargois) which is a looooong way from #6.

But, this FO did not make that pick, so I agree that we must let them find the best way to fix a mess that was not of their making. If Jay to the pen is a small part of that fix, outstanding.

However, We cannot and should not spin this as not-really-that-big-of-deal.

• KirbyDome89 likes this

#173 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:11 PM

1). Why start Jay for so long?

A grand total of 1 season.Actually less that one season: 13 starts at Fort Myers, then 2 more at Chattanooga before he was in the pen for 3 more appearances.

Got to give it to them that this was not too long...

• Oldgoat_MN likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#174 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:15 PM

A player who was drafted specifically for his prospect to be a future #1/#2 has already washed out as a starter.

That's not the thing here.It is not the Perkins situation.The people who ran the Twins' draft had the idea that you can get College relievers who throw hard and make them top of the rotation starters.Did not quite work out for the Twins.Jay at least got out of there fast enough to be able to help the team.Cederoth and Bard and (partially) Melotakis are still suffering from that approach.  

You cannot wash out something that was never there other in people's minds who tried to force it.

• Steve Lein and Oldgoat_MN like this
-----

#175 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

I like Bob's post above.  Phase 1 of pitching development is drafting and signing.  Phase 2 is figuring out what you've got.  In that 2006 draft I mentioned several pages back, the Tigers realized they picked wrong in taking Miller over Scherzer and Lincecum.  A few trades later, they had Scherzer and Miguel Cabrera.

Meanwhile, Miller flopped along for a few more years, eventually getting cut by the Red Sox.  Someone with the Sox believed they could fix him, they got him to resign, and he finally blossomed.

The Royals tried for years to make Hochevar (the no. 1) pick a starter; they finally got a few decent relief years out of him.  Similar story for Brandon Morrow at no. 5.

Kudos to the new regime for moving decisively and circumnavigating a few fruitless years.  Bummer he didn't show up and blow everyone's doors off as a starter.  Didn't do it.  Turn page.  Move on.

#176 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

The people who ran the Twins' draft had the idea that you can get College relievers who throw hard and make them top of the rotation starters. ### 

Did not quite work out for the Twins. ***

You cannot wash out something that was never there other in people's minds who tried to force it. ###

*** #1 Understatement of the Offseason.

### Will we ever find out whose bright idea this was? And is he in any way still associated with the Twins?

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#177 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:38 AM

Many a great collegepitcher had a year in the bullpen before starting for a year or two. So why should it become a big dealthat the change happens after their third year of college.

#178 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

A player who was drafted specifically for his prospect to be a future #1/#2 has already washed out as a starter. This is the problem that I was pointing out (not as to whether he currently has --or has ever had--- the potential to be a #1/#2...this is not my job as I'm neither a scout, nor have I seen him play in person).

The point that people keep overlooking, I think, is that a big part of the reason he was drafted there (and a big part of the reason we ranked him as the org's #5 prospect) was because of his high floor as an impact late-inning reliever. 

You can argue that they're opting for that route too quickly, but this is not a worst-case scenario or even IMO an unexpected one. And the downside of continuing to push him along as a starter is that you endanger his health (his small frame did not hold up well to the workload last year) while also further acclimating him to a role and routine he probably won't permanently fill.

Some guys only have so many bullets. How many do you want to waste on this experiment before unleashing his true potential?

• Steve Lein likes this

#179 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,012 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

The point that people keep overlooking, I think, is that a big part of the reason he was drafted there (and a big part of the reason we ranked him as the org's #5 prospect) was because of his high floor as an impact late-inning reliever. 

You can argue that they're opting for that route too quickly, but this is not a worst-case scenario or even IMO an unexpected one. And the downside of continuing to push him along as a starter is that you endanger his health (his small frame did not hold up well to the workload last year) while also further acclimating him to a role and routine he probably won't permanently fill.

Some guys only have so many bullets. How many do you want to waste on this experiment before unleashing his true potential?

Wait, now you are saying that pitchers should come up earlier, not later? You gonna say that about Berrios and Meija also? 

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#180 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

### Will we ever find out whose bright idea this was? And is he in any way still associated with the Twins?

Deron Johnson

Yes

-----

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyler jay, lachlan wells, aaron whitefield, mitchell kranson, alex kirilloff