Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Two open spots in the Twins rotation

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,453 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

Do the Twins only owe Santiago a percentage of his salary if he is released before the start of the season?

Only if another team claims him.

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,453 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

Agreed. Hughes, Santiago, Gibson and Santana may not be the most ideal starting rotation but if we're looking long-term, the hope has to be that with a hot half-season, the Twins can trade some of them and get some prospects back while opening up rotation spots for the next wave of starters.

I do think that Santiago is the worst of the bunch. I hope they have an extraordinarily short leash with him if he sucks at first. Hughes and Gibson have had success in the past so I'm willing to give them some slack (I actually think we should be more optimistic about GIbby - he's still got the potential to be a nice pitcher and he's young enough to be a part of the next Twins playoff team).

To me, Gibson and Santiago are close to the same guy. Gibson probably has a smidgeon higher ceiling but they're roughly the same age and Santiago has a longer track record of decent performance.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#23 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,778 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

To me, Gibson and Santiago are close to the same guy. Gibson probably has a smidgeon higher ceiling but they're roughly the same age and Santiago has a longer track record of decent performance.

They are perfectly acceptable bridges for a team in the Twins position. They even have a decent shot to flip Santiago at the deadline.
Papers...business papers.

#24 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

A team traded a starting pitcher and a decent prospect for Santiago last season.  I wouldn't just dump him.  Could be worth something if he pitches at all decently.

With the new regime, I'm not too worried about this all shaking out one way or another.  If the young guys are good enough, they'll get their chance.  Probably not going to cost us a playoff spot either way.

Berrios has probably blown whatever chance he had by pitching in the WBC, but in the long run it might be better for him anyway, developmentally.  I think outside of Santana, the guys who have been working with Castro and Gimenez will be on the roster, which might well include Meija.

#25 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

We just have to expect this, not what I would do, but understandable.Twins will make changes this year and the leash will be much shorter as the backups are a lot closer. 

Still just have Hughes penciled in until I am sure he can maintain his velocity(92 mph) thru the middle innings. 

Will see how this plays out, but would be upset if Vogelsong is the 5th starter.

#26 EddieMatthews

EddieMatthews

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

Oh man, that's really unproven. I don't think we should assume that being in the pen made May get TJ any more than we should assume that playing video games late at night made him get TJ. 

There's been a bigly uptick in TJ surgery at the video gamer's club lately.  Maybe the AHCA will exclude this activity from coverage.

#27 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

There's been a bigly uptick in TJ surgery at the video gamer's club lately.  Maybe the AHCA will exclude this activity from coverage.

You're thinking of Donkey Kong surgery, not Tommy John. Easy to make that mistake, they do rhyme. 

• ashburyjohn and EddieMatthews like this

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,798 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

So, nothing to see here. Cool. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#29 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

Only if another team claims him.

My understanding is that arbitration contracts are not guaranteed until the season starts.

They can release Santiago during Spring Training and only pay him a certain percentage of that contract. He could get either 30 days or 45 days salary depending on when he gets released (I don't know the cut off time for either of those). So they wouldn't be able to get rid of the whole contract, but the majority of it, if they released him during spring training.

#30 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,504 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

A team traded a starting pitcher and a decent prospect for Santiago last season. 

Do you think that the GM who made that trade for that particular team is employable anywhere else in baseball?

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#31 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

My understanding is that arbitration contracts are not guaranteed until the season starts.

They can release Santiago during Spring Training and only pay him a certain percentage of that contract. He could get either 30 days or 45 days salary depending on when he gets released (I don't know the cut off time for either of those). So they wouldn't be able to get rid of the whole contract, but the majority of it, if they released him during spring training.

I don't think they went to arbitration if that makes a difference.

#32 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:51 PM

I saw Mejia in person on Wednesday and was obviously impressed. 12mph difference in fastball and breaking stuff. Grichuk and Piscotty were baffled
  • Thrylos likes this

#33 Wizard11

Wizard11

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:39 PM

Santiago has pitched 180 innings each of the last 2 years, has a career K/9 of 8.0, 29 years old, LH, and modestly priced. He is not blocking any MLB ready prospect. He had a rough start to his Twins career. Not too many pitchers would look very good if dumped on to the 2016 Twins mid-season. IMO Berrios is the likely 5th starter. For those who loath Santiago, who exactly should be in Santiago's spot?
  • DJSim22 and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#34 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:51 AM

Do you think that the GM who made that trade for that particular team is employable anywhere else in baseball?

Omar Minaya keeps getting jobs.Kevin Towers comes to mind as another jobgetter that makes bad trades.

#35 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:53 AM

Santiago has pitched 180 innings each of the last 2 years, has a career K/9 of 8.0, 29 years old, LH, and modestly priced. He is not blocking any MLB ready prospect. He had a rough start to his Twins career. Not too many pitchers would look very good if dumped on to the 2016 Twins mid-season. IMO Berrios is the likely 5th starter. For those who loath Santiago, who exactly should be in Santiago's spot?

Nolasco. Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Thrylos, Willihammer, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this

#36 Wizard11

Wizard11

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Nolasco. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well Done Sir!

#37 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

I don't think they went to arbitration if that makes a difference.

They don't literally have to go to a hearing, they just have to be in their arbitration years so this applies to Santiago, Gibson, Kintzler, Pressly and Escobar (I think that was all of them this year).
  • jorgenswest likes this

#38 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,504 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

For those who loath Santiago, who exactly should be in Santiago's spot?

Mejia.

Again, FWIW, Santiago has not pitched long enough into thegames with Puerto Rico where he has been used as a reliever to ensure that he will be stretched enough to start in April.Max 2-2/3 IP at a time

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#39 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

Santiago's decent. Definitely one of the 5 best options. Probably.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#40 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:36 PM

Mejia.

Again, FWIW, Santiago has not pitched long enough into thegames with Puerto Rico where he has been used as a reliever to ensure that he will be stretched enough to start in April.Max 2-2/3 IP at a time

Not much different than Berrios, his only WBC appearance was a week ago. He threw a total of 4 innings in spring training over 2 weeks ago. If he doesn't get a long start in soon he's not going to be well stretched out either.

I also give a little benefit of the doubt to the veteran with a track record of sturdiness. He knows how to get himself ready.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this