Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Two open spots in the Twins rotation

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:52 PM

Finally, someone with access confirmed what some of us have been looking at all Spring:

Right-handers Phil Hughes and Kyle Gibson figure to slot Nos. 2-3 in the rotation behind Santana while Berrios, Santiago, Tyler Duffey, Justin Haley, Ryan Vogelsong and Adalberto Mejia battle for the fourth and fifth spots.

Santiago does not have a spot penciled in...

• glunn, nicksaviking, nytwinsfan and 2 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

This makes me much more nervous about Berrios than anything.
  • Jerr likes this
Papers...business papers.

#3 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,597 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

Basically, how I read this was Molitor and Allen wish none of the pitchers was at the WBC so that the pitchers could stay on the Twins program. The rotation guess looks like reporter-guessing based on the conversation with Molitor. How did you read it different?
  • birdwatcher, DJSim22, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#4 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

I guess I go back to my thoughts before spring training. Santana is a lock: everyone else is fighting for a job. Any other path denies the fact the Twins had the worst rotation in baseball last year. Why Mollie and the new front office are so comfortable with this collection is beyond me.

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,786 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

We had an article not long ago that quoted Monitor, in no uncertain terms, that the first 4 starters were set and they included Santiago.

This article includes no direct quotes saying that Santiago's spot is in jeopardy. As far as being from "someone with access" I was expecting Berardino but I see the byline is Brian Murphy -- I am not familiar with his work.

In any case, I pretty much won't believe that Santiago's spot is in jeopardy until I see a direct quote from someone in the org saying so.
  • glunn, birdwatcher, DJSim22 and 4 others like this

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

We had an article not long ago that quoted Monitor, in no uncertain terms, that the first 4 starters were set and they included Santiago.

This article includes no direct quotes saying that Santiago's spot is in jeopardy. As far as being from "someone with access" I was expecting Berardino but I see the byline is Brian Murphy -- I am not familiar with his work.

In any case, I pretty much won't believe that Santiago's spot is in jeopardy until I see a direct quote from someone in the org saying so.

Santiago's spot is not in jeopardy.

Murphy does some good work on occasion, but it's mostly hackery.
Papers...business papers.

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

Any idea when it was the last time that Santiago pitched longer than 2-2/3 innings?

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

Basically, how I read this was Molitor and Allen wish none of the pitchers was at the WBC so that the pitchers could stay on the Twins program. The rotation guess looks like reporter-guessing based on the conversation with Molitor. How did you read it different?

Completely agree, I see no confirmation here. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#9 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

Why would they have tendered Santiago a contract if they weren't going to put him in the rotation? Makes no sense. I don't think their evaluation of him would have changed too much between then and now.

• glunn, DJSim22, Danchat and 3 others like this

#10 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Why would they have tendered Santiago a contract if they weren't going to put him in the rotation? Makes no sense. I don't think their evaluation of him would have changed too much between then and now.

Their opinion of Santiago probably didn't, but it is possible that their opinions of others have changed enough to push him out. That might not be likely,but it is possible.
I know a lot here would be upset if Vogelsong made the rotation, but what if it was at the expense of Santiago instead of a young guy?
  • glunn and Tom Froemming like this

#11 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:29 AM

Their opinion of Santiago probably didn't, but it is possible that their opinions of others have changed enough to push him out. That might not be likely,but it is possible.
I know a lot here would be upset if Vogelsong made the rotation, but what if it was at the expense of Santiago instead of a young guy?

Right now Santiago is a young guy. At least relatively speaking as his probable replacement would be Vogelsong.
  • WLFINN and d-mac like this

#12 EddieMatthews

EddieMatthews

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:03 AM

With the pitching woes of 2016 fresh in mind, Molitor and the FO will not run out any rookies in the starting five before letting their "proven" starters lose their spots.  That means Santana, Hughes, Gibson, Santiago have a lock barring injury.  I don't see Duffey in that group.  Adalberto (love that name) Meija may bump Berrios.  They both have something to prove in spring training.  

The starters who end up in Rochester will be on standby to return to MN.  I don't see the starting five as static over the first two months.  Injury and struggles will be the norm.  I also don't like to see a starting pitcher  moved to the bullpen.  Bad thing for May.  Don't do it any more.

• dbminn, Dozier's Glorious Hair and caninatl04 like this

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:16 AM

I'm actually okay with (virtually) guaranteeing Santiago a spot in the rotation on Opening Day. He has a relatively long track record of acceptable performance.

Given May's injury, the Santiago tender looks like a good decision. At the very least, the team can get six weeks of pitching out of him and reevaluate. Even if he's below average, there's a good chance he sticks in the rotation because Hughes and/or Gibson are even worse.

But if Santiago is gone, any failure from Hughes or Gibson becomes a pretty bad situation for the Twins, as their short-term rotation depth drops to zero if both Berrios and Mejia are in the rotation.

• ThejacKmp, LA VIkes Fan, Physics Guy and 4 others like this

#14 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:49 AM

The Twins should go with JO. Mejia shows promise.

#15 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

I also don't like to see a starting pitcher  moved to the bullpen.  Bad thing for May.  Don't do it any more.

Oh man, that's really unproven. I don't think we should assume that being in the pen made May get TJ any more than we should assume that playing video games late at night made him get TJ. May could just as easily have gotten TJ if he'd been a starter the whole time.

Johan Santana gained valuable experience pitching out of the Twins pen and made a seamless transition to starting when he was ready (well, long after he was ready but you get my point). 

I think we should let the Twins brain trust make decisions on that - one case does not proof make.

#16 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

I'm actually okay with (virtually) guaranteeing Santiago a spot in the rotation on Opening Day. He has a relatively long track record of acceptable performance.

Given May's injury, the Santiago tender looks like a good decision. At the very least, the team can get six weeks of pitching out of him and reevaluate. Even if he's below average, there's a good chance he sticks in the rotation because Hughes and/or Gibson are even worse.

But if Santiago is gone, any failure from Hughes or Gibson becomes a pretty bad situation for the Twins, as their short-term rotation depth drops to zero if both Berrios and Mejia are in the rotation.

Agreed. Hughes, Santiago, Gibson and Santana may not be the most ideal starting rotation but if we're looking long-term, the hope has to be that with a hot half-season, the Twins can trade some of them and get some prospects back while opening up rotation spots for the next wave of starters.

I do think that Santiago is the worst of the bunch. I hope they have an extraordinarily short leash with him if he sucks at first. Hughes and Gibson have had success in the past so I'm willing to give them some slack (I actually think we should be more optimistic about GIbby - he's still got the potential to be a nice pitcher and he's young enough to be a part of the next Twins playoff team).

• birdwatcher likes this

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:18 AM

so, if three starters are out of the rotation, it will be hard to have depth behind the replacements? Other than the Dodgers, isn't that true of every team in baseball?

Edited by Mike Sixel, 17 March 2017 - 08:18 AM.

• d-mac likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#18 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Do the Twins only owe Santiago a percentage of his salary if he is released before the start of the season?

#19 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

Santiago's spot is basically a lock. Murphy has been down in camp for a few days, and evidently doesn't even know how to spell Neil Allen's first name. Not sure why you think he'd have some special insight on this matter other than that it jibes with what you want to believe. 

• birdwatcher, DJSim22, snepp and 2 others like this

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

so, if three starters are out of the rotation, it will be hard to have depth behind the replacements? Other than the Dodgers, isn't that true of every team in baseball?

Yeah, but the Twins have a high chance of failure. Normally, I'd be comfortable with 6-7 rotation pieces to start the season but with this rotation, I want 7-8 because I expect the turnover to be high.

Gibson, Hughes, and Santiago all have ceilings of mediocrity (or slightly better), which is valuable to the Twins... but they all have high chances of implosion, too.

Basically, I want some protection as a bridge to the second half of the season, when one of Romero or Gonsalves will hopefully be ready. Santiago provides that bridge whereas Vogelsong is the type of guy you bring in when things go horribly wrong. You don't start the season with that guy.

• Sconnie and Taildragger8791 like this