Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2017 Minnesota Twins Breakout Candidate — Eddie Rosario?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

25 isn't all that young in MLB anymore. 

What!? We will have to disagree on that. :)

This is Rosario's 3rd season. He was 23 in year one, 24 in year two. In those two seasons we have seen a lot of potential and some troubling things.

He has been marinading the last 2 years and year 3 is when he is pulled out of his marinade and thrown on the grill. I am hungry and I need to be optimistic that this going to be a tasty meal this year. I'll even share some with you Mike.

Note: For some unknown reason, I really could not help myself from using a ridiculous and stupid analogy.

• glunn, Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#42 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

It's still pretty young. About 2 years younger than the average age on the youngest team (Arizona) from 2016. Average age of mlb player was 28.4 in 2016.

you realize the youngest players are 21 or 22....and there are plenty of guys over 30. Of course the average age is around 28. It can't really go LOW. What's the median?

He's also been in the league how long?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#43 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

you realize the youngest players are 21 or 22....and there are plenty of guys over 30. Of course the average age is around 28. It can't really go LOW. What's the median?

He's also been in the league how long?

I do, but those 21 and 22 year olds are also generally the really talented outliers. I would be hesitant to compare Rosario to them.

Median age is about 27 (fluctuates a little). So he's still younger than that. This is probably the year he needs to show something.

Papers...business papers.

#44 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

I'm a big believer in Rosario. His biggest problem to this point, other than general inexperience with about 750 AB I believe, is himself. He dies have a edge about him, an excitement, a want and need to excel and produce. Really, when you look at what he has flashes and the overall talent level, he doesn't have to do much.

He just needs to relax a bit. Don't try so fan hard all the time. He dies that, some of those ridiculous out of done swings and misses Will disappear. When they do, contact rate goes up, SO numbers go down...slightly at least...and BB rates go up...slightly at least.

He will probably always be a bit streaky, but just a little more calm, a little less crazy, will help even out a couple of his numbers, which should help him realize his potential. I say he's a legitimate. 280/.310-.320 hitter with every/almost every year 30+ doubles, hand and a half worth of triples and legit 20/20 type of producer.
  • Bark's Lounge likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#45 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

This is Rosario's 3rd season. He was 23 in year one, 24 in year two. In those two seasons we have seen a lot of potential and some troubling things.

He has been marinading the last 2 years and year 3 is when he is pulled out of his marinade and thrown on the grill. I am hungry and I need to be optimistic that this going to be a tasty meal this year. I'll even share some with you Mike.

Note: For some unknown reason, I really could not help myself from using a ridiculous and stupid analogy.

What have we been marinating for 2 years? Filet Mignon? NY Strip? 

Edit: If you can't tell I am starving right now. 

Edited by Vanimal46, 17 March 2017 - 10:27 AM.

• Mike Sixel and Bark's Lounge like this

#46 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

sounds good, where should I fly when?

• Bark's Lounge likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#47 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

I do, but those 21 and 22 year olds are also generally the really talented outliers. I would be hesitant to compare Rosario to them.

Median age is about 27 (fluctuates a little). So he's still younger than that. This is probably the year he needs to show something.

Fair. 

#48 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

What have we been marinating for 2 years? Filet Mignon? NY Strip? 

Edit: If you can't tell I am starving right now. 

I hope it is one of those two and not the sole of a shoe.

It's 11:30 in Austin, go get yourself an early lunch! :)

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#49 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

sounds good, where should I fly when?

When the time is upon us, I will send one of my many personal jets to pick you up and then fly you to my private island in the Aegean Sea - "Barkos". Then we will feast.

Edited by Bark's Lounge, 17 March 2017 - 12:58 PM.

• glunn, Mike Sixel, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#50 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,296 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

Well, this right here makes me more excited than anything-  to wit:

ER walks

• glunn and snepp like this

#51 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

I've been a Rosario fan for two reasons: First, the man's got game. You can see him scheming ways to beat the other team, whether it's a surprise bunt, a pretend nonchalant fielding play, or a bluff steal.

Second, when he hits the ball, he nails it in every direction. Power to all fields means Rosario has fantastic balance and poise at the plate. All that's been missing is to go up there with a more professional plan, which takes experience.

Now it's year 3...he's got some experience. As Brandon mentioned, sometimes a great player doesn't really find his game until a few years in. I think Eddie Rosario is going to be a great player. This could be the year it starts to happen. 

• Deduno Abides likes this

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#52 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,280 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:35 AM

I was just looking at his minor league numbers. He was quite the hitter in the lower minors, destroying rookie ball and A ball, but his first taste of the high minors did not go so well for him. I'd add that there was a suspension in there too that we tend to forget about. He did quite well in Rochester last year though and holds a minor league OPS of .825.

I think he can improve, and that target OPS is probably reasonable. The formula is pretty obvious, as he needs to do a better job laying off pitches he cannot hit well and concentrate on pitches in the zone. He will get more strikes that way, and given his skills, I think that ultimately leads to more hittable pitches.