Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Eddie Rosario's cannon of an arm

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

Nice article about Rosario's arm:

http://m.mlb.com/cut...w-to-home-plate

I did not realize that Rosario's arm was so elite.

• nicksaviking, Bark's Lounge, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

#2 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

Nobody.

• Members
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

I knew he cut down plenty of would be base advancers two summers ago. Nice to know he still has the knack.
  • glunn likes this

#3 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:40 PM

He's got an amazing arm. If he can be accurate and stop making dumb throws (like he did during the 2016 season), he can be a force to be reckoned with out there.

• glunn and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:41 PM

Man, I hope Eddie puts it all together this year.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, glunn, Blake and 5 others like this

#5 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,498 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

Eddie put on a show with his arm several times early last season, but then seemed to lose accuracy somewhere around mid-season. Maybe it was sore or something... who knows with mlb players, they'll never admit they're dinged up.

• glunn likes this

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#6 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

Great arm. It can get a little squirrely at times too. Example A:

• glunn and Danchat like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#7 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

He's also rated very highly as a base runner. Among the 200 players who have 800+ PAs over the last two seasons, Rosario ranks 17th in FanGraphs' BsR (Brian Dozier is 18th). Some of his at bats are tough to watch, but if there's one thing you can hope a guy can develop with experience it's plate discipline.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, glunn, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,504 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

Part of the reason the Twins stopped playing him at 2B.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,453 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

He's also rated very highly as a base runner. Among the 200 players who have 800+ PAs over the last two seasons, Rosario ranks 17th in FanGraphs' BsR (Brian Dozier is 18th). Some of his at bats are tough to watch, but if there's one thing you can hope a guy can develop with experience it's plate discipline.

I don't think Rosario even needs that much plate discipline, certainly not of the BB variety. He simply needs to stop swinging at everything and show a little restraint.

Lots of players - particularly those with Rosario's skillset of speed and gap power - can carve a niche for themselves by making contact all time and putting the ball in play.

The lack of discipline will prevent Rosario from being a great player but there's no reason he can't be pretty good.

• glunn, gunnarthor, snepp and 3 others like this

#10 youngtwinsfan

youngtwinsfan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

I could just watch this on repeat all day. WOW.

• glunn, gunnarthor and gheggs42 like this

#11 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

The only people hard on Rosario are Twins fans. He's a solid player and a solid athlete. His struggles are normal struggles for a young player, esp. for one who may be meteoric once he figures things out.

Twins fans did the same thing with Dozier's first couple of years. Young players are almost never perfect, you gotta let 'em play if you want them to get better.  Pulling out the regression card every time a rookie strikes out is wasting everybody's time.

Edited by Doomtints, 15 March 2017 - 08:40 AM.

• gunnarthor and jimbo92107 like this

#12 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

Why is Rosario not playing RF and Kepler paying LF?

• glunn likes this

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,453 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

Why is Rosario not playing RF and Kepler paying LF?

My guess is comfort level. Eddie is a much more polished outfielder than Kepler and can likely move around the outfield without much bother. I'm not sure the same can be said for Max, who played a lot of first base in the minors.

• glunn and gunnarthor like this

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

My guess is comfort level. Eddie is a much more polished outfielder than Kepler and can likely move around the outfield without much bother. I'm not sure the same can be said for Max, who played a lot of first base in the minors.

Yeah, that's my guess.  I honestly think Kepler replaces Mauer at first in a few years and they move Rosario to RF.

• glunn likes this

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,453 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

The only people hard on Rosario are Twins fans. He's a solid player and a solid athlete. His struggles are normal struggles for a young player, esp. for one who may be meteoric once he figures things out.

Twins fans did the same thing with Dozier's first couple of years. Young players are almost never perfect, you gotta let 'em play if you want them to get better.  Pulling out the regression card every time a rookie strikes out is wasting everybody's time.

I generally agree but I'm not sure Rosario can ever be "meteoric".

The guy simply misses the ball too often, posting a contact percentage of just 73% last season. Sure, if he stops swinging at unhittable pitches that can improve but probably not enough to make him a star player. I see the best case scenario for him being a high 70s or low 80s contact guy. Given Rosario's propensity for swinging at the ball, that contact rate would have to skyrocket up to the high 80s for him to be an elite player. I don't see that kind of transformation happening, as it's never been Eddie's player profile.

But he can be a very good player if he gets that contact rate into the low 80s and continues playing good defense.

• Danchat and Doomtints like this

#16 dbminn

dbminn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:08 AM

I don't think Rosario even needs that much plate discipline, certainly not of the BB variety. He simply needs to stop swinging at everything and show a little restraint.

Lots of players - particularly those with Rosario's skillset of speed and gap power - can carve a niche for themselves by making contact all time and putting the ball in play.

The lack of discipline will prevent Rosario from being a great player but there's no reason he can't be pretty good.

Agreed. I thought Rosario did a much better job with pitch selection after his trip to AAA last season. From September 1 to season's end, he increased his BB rate to 6.8% and with a slash of .268/.318/439. That's reasonable for a young OF with incredible range and a strong arm. IMO, he'll continue to get better although with a few more bumps in the road.

Edited by dbminn, 15 March 2017 - 09:10 AM.

• glunn and Doomtints like this

#17 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

Rosario is also a nice guy. Last year in Fort Myer at a spring training workout, my wife and I heard a little 4 year old boy in a Twins cap call out through a fence to Rosario: "Eddie you're my favowite pwayer!" Rosario told the boy that he was practicing right now but would come talk to him in a few minutes...and he did. Rosario knelt down beside the little fellow and talked with him as the boy's dad took a picture. I was a really a sweet scene. 4 lifelong Eddie Rosario fans were made that day. This year my wife and I returned to Hammond Field for spring training. We were seated at game when Eddie Rosario came to bat. "Now batting for the Twins, Eddie Rosario", was announced over the loudspeakers. Behind us we heard a small child's voice say with a question "Rosario?" We turned to look and saw the same little boy with his dad and mom, as the dad was pointing to his son's "Favowite Pwayer".

Edited by tarheeltwinsfan, 15 March 2017 - 11:16 AM.

• Brock Beauchamp, glunn, gunnarthor and 4 others like this

#18 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

I was under the impression that his numbers took a dive because most people stopped running on him. I'd say it's elite. Also, he's been putting on quite a show in the WBC-- I feel like he's done something awesome in each game so far. We may have another Samuel Deduno on our hands! 

• glunn likes this

#19 S.

S.

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

We may have another Samuel Deduno on our hands! 

I uhhh...think you must be thinking of another player than Deduno. Unless you're excited to predict that Rosario will be a flop moving forward and have no significant success in the majors again. Or unless you just mean in regards to the WBC. But lets all hope that Rosario's future in the MLB does not mirror Deduno in any way.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,453 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

I uhhh...think you must be thinking of another player than Deduno. Unless you're excited to predict that Rosario will be a flop moving forward and have no significant success in the majors again. Or unless you just mean in regards to the WBC. But lets all hope that Rosario's future in the MLB does not mirror Deduno in any way.

Methinks your sarcasm detector is broken.
  • glunn likes this