Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Opening Day Roster Projection -- Take Two

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#41 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

Belisle and Kintzler are actually pretty good. Breslow is a roll of the dice. 

• Oldgoat_MN and DocBauer like this

Follow me on Twitter: @Brandon_Warne

Follow The Athletic on Twitter: @TheAthleticMin

#42 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

Fair, we probably disagree some on the veteran thing and how ready a RP needs to be. No biggie.

To me the blunder has been repeatedly filling the RP corps with guys w/o options, then being unwilling to move one and send guys back and forth. But, across the league, pitching is getting younger....except here, where a guy has to be perfect in the minors to get a chance. On a rebuilding team.

It isn't clear to me how ready guys are for the Royals before they come up. Do they ease them in? I mean they have put together some really good pens, but not exactly conventionally. Hochevar and Davis were bad starters. Holland didn't move exceptionally quickly. Herrera moved exceptionally quickly through the system, though. 

#43 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,281 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

I'm still in denial about May. 

That said, tell me what it is about Vogelwhatever that gets him love here?I'm not seeing the reason to block Mejia or Berrios over him.I'd give one a shot, and I don't care whom at this point (baring of course a Dozier trade). 

• Mike Sixel, Hosken Bombo Disco, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#44 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

Fifth starter is barely used early in the season so you want someone who can help you as a swingman but doesn't need to have too rigid of a routine. In other words a house of cards to be bowled over by Mejia and/or Berrios. 

Same goes for Hector -- though to a higher degree, I guess -- as he's FA eligible after season's end. And also somehow has the lowest career ERA of the five possible starters. 

• Oldgoat_MN and DocBauer like this

#45 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,281 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

Fifth starter is barely used early in the season so you want someone who can help you as a swingman but doesn't need to have too rigid of a routine. In other words a house of cards to be bowled over by Mejia and/or Berrios. 

Same goes for Hector -- though to a higher degree, I guess -- as he's FA eligible after season's end. And also somehow has the lowest career ERA of the five possible starters. 

Fine, then that would be Hughes or Santiago I'd think...(and I'd lean towards Hector)

#46 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

Tommy Milone was the 5th starter last season, no? And he started 4 games in April... Not sure I agree that they're barely used. 

• USAFChief and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#47 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:54 PM

Tommy Milone was the 5th starter last season, no? And he started 4 games in April... Not sure I agree that they're barely used. 

Because they were slavish to the rotation. That's not required with scheduled off-days, though. 

#48 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:54 PM

Plus not all calendar years are scheduled the same, of course.

#49 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

For instance, a fifth starter wouldn't be "needed" in theory until Monday the 17th if they wanted to keep everyone on schedule. That'd be the 13th game of the season.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#50 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,786 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

I don't disagree, but my theory is this: you can go from oldies to the kids. You can't do vice versa.

The likes of Ryan Vogelsong won't be available later?
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#51 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

For instance, a fifth starter wouldn't be "needed" in theory until Monday the 17th if they wanted to keep everyone on schedule. That'd be the 13th game of the season.

Molitor! Outside the box thinker for sure....

• Vanimal46 and wsnydes like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#52 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

The likes of Ryan Vogelsong won't be available later?

During the season? No. 

#53 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

Vogelsong should not make the team. If he doesn't want to go to AAA, it's over. He's what my dad used to have a "has been." I hated when he said that but Vogelsong has zero redeeming value at this time in hs career and to use him in April or at any time would be games lost without real intention of winning them. The Twins need to attempt anyway to start out strong in April. No to the Bird Song.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#54 Jaykay

Jaykay

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

These guys?

RP1- Ryan Vogelsong Justin Haley
•RP2- Michael Tonkin Craig Breslow
•RP3- Matt Belisle
•RP4- Buddy Boshers Tyler Duffey
•RP5- Taylor Rogers
•RP6- Ryan Pressly
•RP7- Brandon Kintzler

I'll keep Pressly and Rogers, no one else would stop me from putting the vets in the pen and rolling with Berrios and Mejia in the rotation.

Wow, this team just looks so bad. Not that I'm disagreeing with your predictions. If they're going to lose, at least let me watch the young guys. April is going to be almost unwatchable waiting for the young guys to get another shot.

I'd hesitate to call a team that features Buxton, Sano, Kepler, Polanco, Dozier, Park etc. unwatchable. That pitching staff though.....yuck. Give me Chargois in there at the very least. 

• Oldgoat_MN and Dr. Evil like this

#55 ppearson50

ppearson50

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

If the Twins add Breslow, Vogelsong, Park and Gimenez - one more person has to be taken off the 40 man. You have one spot with May going on 60 day and two spots with Tonkin and Santana DFAed. Who else gets taken off?

#56 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,786 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

Because they were slavish to the rotation. That's not required with scheduled off-days, though.

Pretty sure present day MLB practice is to NOT skip the 5th starter.
  • USAFChief, stringer bell, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#57 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,786 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

During the season? No.

You yourself projected him in the bullpen originally, no? He would be available there. If we cut him and he signed a minor league deal elsewhere, he would likely be available by his opt out date.

Not to mention, if you really want guys like Vogelsong, Santiago, Hughes, etc., they are almost certainly a few guys like that available midseason if we are willing to pick up some salary.

#58 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

If the Twins add Breslow, Vogelsong, Park and Gimenez - one more person has to be taken off the 40 man. You have one spot with May going on 60 day and two spots with Tonkin and Santana DFAed. Who else gets taken off?

Probably O'Rourke. 

#59 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,786 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

During the season? No.

Same argument used to roster a lot of middling vets who became available by midseason...

#60 ppearson50

ppearson50

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

Probably O'Rourke. 

I would think Santana and O'Rourke would have a good chance of getting claimed. Santana because he is still young and O'Rourke because he got lefties out well last year.