Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Miller: Granite's skill-set is rock-solid for the Twins

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:59 AM

http://www.startribu...wins/416083044/

Phil Miller wrote a really nice article on Zack Granite last night after the game. In our post game scrum with manager Paul Molitor, he really sang the praises of Granite and what he's seen from him. 

Here are some more phrases that I transcribed from the manager. 

“Shows no fear.”
“Strike zone knowledge.”
“Defensive awareness.”
“He’s thrown the ball well.”
“He’s gone to get it.”
“There’s a lot of people, but I was looking forward to watching him play.”

Molitor is clearly impressed with Granite and sees a place for him on the roster. Granite survived the first cuts today. It's still most likely that he starts the season in Rochester, but he's made a very strong impression with his speed and his baseball acumen and instinct.

• Blake, nicksaviking, wavedog and 3 others like this

#2 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

He will probably begin in Rochester.Twins do not need another defensive outfielder.If Grossman should falter or one of the starters hasbad beginning, he will be up.

• Respy likes this

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,504 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

I knew that Park and Hague had good Springs and Palka started to pick it up lately, but Granite flew under my radar, so I checked his slash line:

.250/.269/.292

That much about strike zone knowledge. I get the defensive part, but his stick is subbuterean.Maybe better option than Stubbs and Shuck, but I would have a hard time seeing him make the team over Grossman, let's say."Rock" solid?Are marshmallows rocks?

Edited by Thrylos, 14 March 2017 - 06:50 AM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

It's Spring Training... Let's not get to concerned about averages right now.

I've seen Granite play a few times for Chattanooga, and watched a lot of his game footage.The short of it, he "knows" how to play baseball.  I would agree that he starts the year at most likely AAA, but the moment someone gets hurt or really struggles, we'll see him up.

Edited by MN_ExPat, 14 March 2017 - 06:58 AM.

• wagwan likes this

#5 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

This is good backup insurance in case (gulp) Buxton or Kepler crash and burn.

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

I think Granite could be pretty useful, but without any pop he's going to have to get on base. Last year he took a step back, but in 2015 he had a 10% BB rate. If he can get back to that there's room for him.

• markos likes this

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,501 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

I want him to make it, but at the same time, I don't want more awful puns. sigh.

• ashburyjohn, diehardtwinsfan, 70charger and 1 other like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#8 by jiminy

by jiminy

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

On a competitive team, he'd have real value as a pinch runner and defensive replacement. On this team, he'd just sit on the bench, delaying his development. Please, don't let him start on the major league roster. He said himself he's still figuring out when to run. Let him run, run, run in the minors, not stall out with maybe two chances a week. He also still needs to learn to hit the best pitching. Skipping AAA hasn't worked since Joe Mauer, and maybe Jason Kubel.  This kid is nothing like them. Let him play.

Edited by by jiminy, 14 March 2017 - 10:31 AM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#9 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:34 AM

I think Granite could be pretty useful, but without any pop he's going to have to get on base. Last year he took a step back, but in 2015 he had a 10% BB rate. If he can get back to that there's room for him.

Or he is going to need to sacrifice contact for power. He makes enough contact (K% of just 7.4% last year) that he might be able to rework his swing a little to get more power. If he can get to a .100 or .125 ISO, then he could be a legitimate backup, or maybe even a starter.

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

I get the defensive part, but his stick is subbuterean. 

That's been my concern with him all along. And I don't think his bat is ready yet.

OTOH, he's not a high-ceiling guy - he has a chance to carve out a career in the majors for a few years, maybe even sneak in an all-star invitation one year if things break just so. I'm thinking an outfield Nick Punto, in which case his usefulness could even go on for years. So there's no reason to play service-time games with him, nor endlessly fine-tune his approach to eliminate all exploitable flaws so as to get the most out of his boundless talent.

As soon as his bat is marginally ready, bring him up, and start reaping whatever defensive value he brings. This is what other teams manage to do on a regular basis, supplying the major league team with 2- and 3-tool players who fit a present need, even if it's only for a few short seasons. It's a cold business, sometimes, but conversely Granite has a golden opportunity if time and fortune mean he is able to grab it.

• markos likes this

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#11 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

I'm worried his on-base skills will be rendered moot by pitchers simply challenging him in every single at bat. Guy has no power, major league pitchers are just going to go right after him. Same thing with Engelb Vielma, but both he and Granite have great baseball skills.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

I want him to make it, but at the same time, I don't want more awful puns. sigh.

Then do not read any analysis reports by sabrmetrician Theophilus Punoval.

• Mike Sixel likes this

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.