Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Daily's Write Of Spring Newsletter: Who Will Be Left?

ryan orourke buddy boshers taylor rogers craig breslow
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

In our second issue of Twins Daily's Write Of Spring Newsletter, Nick Nelson talks about the Twins bullpen battle for left-handed relievers. Let's talk about it in this thread.

This issue is being sent out at 11:45 PM the night of 3/13/2017. If you missed it, sign up over on the right to make sure you don't miss the next issue. 

• glunn likes this

#2 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:05 AM

Nick is correct.If Breslow continues to do the job, he will win the spot.My guess is Twins try and trade one of Boshers and O'Rourke.Rogers will probably get one spot, because he can go more innings at one time.Still early and would revisit in a couple of weeks

#3 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

Mollie said yesterday that Breslow is the leading candidate. Now we just need to plug Vogel song into the 5th starter spot and the youth movement is complete.
  • Mike Sixel, DaveW, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#4 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

That was quality writing.

Also, Molitor lulz.
  • Sconnie likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

If O'Rourke doesn't make the team, it will be because of that one single pitch he threw in early March. And people talk about not reading into spring training performance or small samples. Good times.

Not saying O'Rourke (or Rosario for that matter) are destined for the HOF, but Molly sure has his favorites and his whipping boys.
  • Mike Sixel and beckmt like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#6 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,085 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

Mollie said yesterday that Breslow is the leading candidate. Now we just need to plug Vogel song into the 5th starter spot and the youth movement is complete.

the two themes Falvey has talked about since November is veterans and metric based/enhanced evaluation, no one exemplifies that more than Breslow. I have not heard a peep from the FO about getting younger.

At least they're consistent.

Edited by Sconnie, 14 March 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#7 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

the two themes Falvey has talked about since November is veterans and metric based/enhanced evaluation, no one exemplifies that more than Breslow. I have not heard a peep from the FO about getting younger.

At least they're consistent.

I keep waiting for Falvey to dramatically remove his mask only to find Terry Ryan underneath. Ya know kind of like all star wrestling.
  • Mike Sixel, Mr. Brooks, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

I keep waiting for Falvey to dramatically remove his mask only to find Terry Ryan underneath. Ya know kind of like all star wrestling.

/thread

maybe /internet

• Sconnie likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#9 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,085 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

IMG_0147.PNG
Dah duh daaaah!
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#10 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,753 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Crazy idea: I think the Twins should stop giving important roster spots to veterans with zero upside. Breslow is fine, Volgosong? Gimme a break

Oh well, at least we can look forward to the top 3 pick in the 2018 draft! :)

Edited by DaveW, 15 March 2017 - 06:15 PM.

• Sconnie, HitInAPinch and Vanimal46 like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#11 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:44 AM

Finally got a chance to read it.Nice article, Nick.Except reading the puking part this early in the morning

Seems to me we spend a lot of time and consternation on having lefties in the bullpen.But we have to take the fact that they will be not much more than a one batter pitcher.I'm pretty sure Rodgers, Breslow [my 2 picks, in that order] Boshers and O'Rourke are pretty cheap.On that point, even.So, upside?

Rodgers has some good moments last year.Breslow seems like the kind of guy who would be a great tutor.Step One:Fastball hard in, breaking ball low and away......

• Mike Sixel likes this

It's not my fault !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan orourke, buddy boshers, taylor rogers, craig breslow