Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

FanGraphs Top 100 Prospects for 2017

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

http://www.fangraphs...-100-prospects/

66. Nick Gordon

Gonsalves, Jay, and Kiriloff in the "others in consideration" group of 32.

Alternate universe Twin Jose DeLeon at #44. :)
  • markos and Tom Froemming like this

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

White Sox are loaded at the top of the list.....

Lots of really good stuff on that list, and on all the lists behind it.

Would have loved to have seen graphs by team, by round drafted, by IFA....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#3 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

As I said on Twitter yesterday, FG is just another outlet that will end up regretting that they slept on Fernando Romero. 

• Tom Froemming likes this

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

You mean this part?

Independent of the concerns about the health and delivery, I think Romero has a mid-rotation starter’s repertoire. The concerns about the body, athleticism and delivery add to the pool of risk. If he can get another healthy season under his belt, Romero could be near the top of this list next year.

did you actually read the writeup on him? Because it's positive, other than the injury risk....

• DaveW likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Cooperstown

• Twins Mods
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

As I said on Twitter yesterday, FG is just another outlet that will end up regretting that they slept on Fernando Romero. 

You mean this part?

Independent of the concerns about the health and delivery, I think Romero has a mid-rotation starter’s repertoire. The concerns about the body, athleticism and delivery add to the pool of risk. If he can get another healthy season under his belt, Romero could be near the top of this list next year.

did you actually read the writeup on him? Because it's positive, other than the injury risk....

So if I'm reading that right, Fangraphs actually thinks Romero is a bit TOO comfy to sleep on. :)

#6 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

You mean this part?

He wasn't listed in their Top 100, nor as an honorable mention, so I'm not sure where I would have come across it in this article... 

It's nice if they said good things about him. I just think it's silly to have him behind all of Gordon, Gonsalves, Jay and Kirilloff. Personal opinion.

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

He wasn't listed in their Top 100, nor as an honorable mention, so I'm not sure where I would have come across it in this article... 

It's nice if they said good things about him. I just think it's silly to have him behind all of Gordon, Gonsalves, Jay and Kirilloff. Personal opinion.

Well, they have 15-40 prospects ranked for every single team. 

He's 21 and already missed two full seasons with injury. You don't think there is some increased risk there?

#8 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

Well, they have 15-40 prospects ranked for every single team. 

He's 21 and already missed two full seasons with injury. You don't think there is some increased risk there?

Comparative to Gonsalves and Jay? Not really.

Knocking on wood, but Romero appears to be past those injuries. He had a full strong season in 2016 and was at his best toward the end. The idea that he's some extreme injury risk is an outdated take IMO. Jay broke down at 90 innings last year and doesn't have the frame to be a starter. Gonsalves is dealing with shoulder problems again this spring after experiencing the same thing in the AFL.

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,724 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

Comparative to Gonsalves and Jay? Not really.

Knocking on wood, but Romero appears to be past those injuries. He had a full strong season in 2016 and was at his best toward the end. The idea that he's some extreme injury risk is an outdated take IMO. Jay broke down at 90 innings last year and doesn't have the frame to be a starter. Gonsalves is dealing with shoulder problems again this spring after experiencing the same thing in the AFL.

You're quite the extremist...:)Bullish on Romero but very bearish on Gonsalves and Jay.Here's to hoping you're right about Romero and wrong about the others.

• Steve Lein and Mike Sixel like this

#10 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

You're quite the extremist...:)Bullish on Romero but very bearish on Gonsalves and Jay.Here's to hoping you're right about Romero and wrong about the others.

I wouldn't say I'm bearish on them. I'm just saying that relatively speaking I don't see Romero as some huge injury risk. I like Gonsalves and Jay and have high hopes for both! (Though I'm almost certain Jay will end up in the bullpen.)

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,724 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

Fair enough.Probably rushing to judgement a bit on Jay. I'd probably give him two more seasons before I made that determination.Last year was an adjustment time for him (and for the most part he did well).Let's see how he handles AA with a year under his belt.

#12 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

I like Gonsalves and Jay and have high hopes for both! (Though I'm almost certain Jay will end up in the bullpen.)

Can't say I expected it to happen quite that fast, ha!

• ashburyjohn, birdwatcher and nytwinsfan like this

#13 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

Romero is a solid prospect, but there is no way he should be in the top 100 currently.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"