Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Drama in Elizabethton: Twins might be moving out after this season

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:01 PM

I must first say there is no "Drama in Elizabethton. I can say this with a matter of fact because I am a resident of Elizabethton. My family and I have been loyal season tickets holders since 1998. We attend every home game and most of the away games, even traveling to some that are 2-3 hours away. We have been a host family and gotten to know several of the players over the years, even being able to call some friends. 

Now I understand this is a place for people to post their opinion (just like I am doing now) however it really upsets me when I read some of them.I feel that some of the post are from people guessing or just making stuff up because they are uninformed.And some I have taken personal because I feel that my city is being attacked by people that may not even be about to tell me where Tennessee is on a map.

So here is some things to clear up this “drama.”

• The city likes to keep it more on as “entertainment” and not run as a business so they can keep prices affordable and have a fun family atmosphere. So making money off the baseball team is not a priority. Elizabethton is a small quiet town with not a lot of activities to do so summer nights at the baseball game is our entertainment.
• Yes we do have a much smaller population in our city verses some of the other Appy League team’s cities but I feel we have a much larger core group of loyal fans. There is a large number of people that have been season tickets holder since 1974. There have been nights that I have attend a game in Johnson City or Kingsport (who have triple the amount of population) and there are more Twins fans there. I know because i have counted. 
• Joe O'Brien field is NOT horrible or a pit. Yes it needs improvements however there are other ballparks in the Appy League that are worse, trust me I have been to them. Bristol to name one.
• There was no "ultimatum" given by the city. They asked to have an answer by a specific date because the following day they were have a meeting regarding the city budget.

My family attended the city council meeting when the vote was to be done if the city would agree to make the changes. To be honest the majority of the people that attended that meeting where there in support of the Twins that night. They voted that night to spend over an estimated  3 million dollars for improvements without having to raise any taxes. Also stated that night, several residents have spoken up about the private donations they are wiling to contribute to help fund the project. There has been such a great relationship with Minnesota and the loyalty they have shown the city through out the years, they wanted to make it stronger by continuing that affiliation. So you tell me how does that show that city and residents of Elizabethton does not embrace the team and understand how valuable and important it is to be one of small number of cities in the country to have a minor league baseball team? Ask any player that came through Elizabethton and they can tell you how much this town loves their E-Twins.

"I don't want to tear away at the fabric of who the Twins are, which is that loyalty. People care about the Twins." A quote from Derek Falvey. Can Elizabethton get some of this loyalty?????

Here is the link to the article. It is very good. https://www.nytimes....alvey.html?_r=0

I also thank you for the very valuable insight of an Elizabethton resident and fan.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, nicksaviking, Halsey Hall and 1 other like this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#22 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:12 AM

Agree 100% on Ft Myers. Why wouldn't you control the very city where you have your "second home"? It's a complete no Brainer to me! I haven't been to Cedar Rapids yet, but from everything I read and hear, they seem to do things right there and even embrace the team uniform look. Still, some controlling interest would be nice to keep it that way.

Kernels games are a good time, if you can make it to one its definitely worth the trip. As a native Iowan (insert joke here) I would strongly recommend staying in Iowa City if you're traveling there for a game. Sorry if there are any CR residents on here but you'll have a much better time in IC and you won't have to constantly smell that nasty a$$ Quaker Oates factory like you would in CR. 

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

Now I understand this is a place for people to post their opinion (just like I am doing now) however it really upsets me when I read some of them.I feel that some of the post are from people guessing or just making stuff up because they are uninformed. 

We appreciate your measured response to those kinds of buttons being pressed.

• nicksaviking and spinowner like this

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#24 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

I must first say there is no "Drama in Elizabethton. I can say this with a matter of fact because I am a resident of Elizabethton. My family and I have been loyal season tickets holders since 1998. We attend every home game and most of the away games, even traveling to some that are 2-3 hours away. We have been a host family and gotten to know several of the players over the years, even being able to call some friends. 

Now I understand this is a place for people to post their opinion (just like I am doing now) however it really upsets me when I read some of them.I feel that some of the post are from people guessing or just making stuff up because they are uninformed.And some I have taken personal because I feel that my city is being attacked by people that may not even be about to tell me where Tennessee is on a map.

Forget about the speculation and drama from those too far removed from the situation. We're always glad to have informed voices for our favorite minor league teams. Any news or information you would like to share here is not only welcome but much appreciated. Thanks for the post and I truly hope to see more!

• ChiTownTwinsFan, diehardtwinsfan and spinowner like this

#25 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,802 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

• The city likes to keep it more on as “entertainment” and not run as a business so they can keep prices affordable and have a fun family atmosphere. So making money off the baseball team is not a priority. Elizabethton is a small quiet town with not a lot of activities to do so summer nights at the baseball game is our entertainment.
• Yes we do have a much smaller population in our city verses some of the other Appy League team’s cities but I feel we have a much larger core group of loyal fans. There is a large number of people that have been season tickets holder since 1974. There have been nights that I have attend a game in Johnson City or Kingsport (who have triple the amount of population) and there are more Twins fans there. I know because i have counted. 
• Joe O'Brien field is NOT horrible or a pit. Yes it needs improvements however there are other ballparks in the Appy League that are worse, trust me I have been to them. Bristol to name one.
• There was no "ultimatum" given by the city. They asked to have an answer by a specific date because the following day they were have a meeting regarding the city budget.

My family attended the city council meeting when the vote was to be done if the city would agree to make the changes. To be honest the majority of the people that attended that meeting where there in support of the Twins that night. They voted that night to spend over an estimated  3 million dollars for improvements without having to raise any taxes. Also stated that night, several residents have spoken up about the private donations they are wiling to contribute to help fund the project. There has been such a great relationship with Minnesota and the loyalty they have shown the city through out the years, they wanted to make it stronger by continuing that affiliation. So you tell me how does that show that city and residents of Elizabethton does not embrace the team and understand how valuable and important it is to be one of small number of cities in the country to have a minor league baseball team? Ask any player that came through Elizabethton and they can tell you how much this town loves their E-Twins.

"I don't want to tear away at the fabric of who the Twins are, which is that loyalty. People care about the Twins." A quote from Derek Falvey. Can Elizabethton get some of this loyalty?????

Here is the link to the article. It is very good. https://www.nytimes....alvey.html?_r=0

Great post, first timer! Love getting first-hand perspectives!

Forget about the speculation and drama from those too far removed from the situation. We're always glad to have informed voices for our favorite minor league teams. Any news or information you would like to share here is not only welcome but much appreciated. Thanks for the post and I truly hope to see more!

Not only welcomed and appreciated, but encouraged! I hope you will continue to chime in with your first-hand views throughout the season!
  • nicksaviking and spinowner like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#26 etwinsfan

etwinsfan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

Thank you all for the positive feedback. When I receive updates regarding the stadium and future with the Twins, I will post on here. I will also post and answer any questions I can when our season starts in June to help my fellow Twins fans find out about the future of our team. 

If you have never been here, I do highly recommend visiting. We are know as one of the friendliest ballparks in the Appy League. Last summer, several fans had a table out front for a people to sign to give to the city to "Keep the Twins" and at least a third of the signatures where for opposing teams fans. Several stated that they love coming to Joe O'Brien and want them to stay. 

I will I did love when Minnesota put the AA team in Chattanooga since they would be close. I thought it would be a great opportunity for the 2 teams being within a few hours away to do some possible cross promotions and easy access for fans to travel. I haven't made a trip to Chattanooga yet however I have traveled done to Kodak, Tennessee when the Lookouts play the Tennessee Smokies to see the former E-Twins. My family and I will make several trips down this year however do to there will be many players we know that will be Lookouts this season.  

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ScrapTheNickname, James and 1 other like this

#27 KirbyHawk75

KirbyHawk75

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

I went online and read some reviews of the ballpark.  I read they do not sell alcohol.  Does anyone know why?  Are there other stadiums like that in minor league baseball?  I am guessing. 

#28 etwinsfan

etwinsfan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

I went online and read some reviews of the ballpark.  I read they do not sell alcohol.  Does anyone know why?  Are there other stadiums like that in minor league baseball?  I am guessing. 

They do not. I am not sure how many but there is a few ballparks in the Appy League that does not sell alcohol and several just started within the last 2-3 years. There are many people who love coming to our park because the don't sell beer and others that would come more if we did. But as far as why Elizabethton does not, one of the reasons is they like to keep it a family atmosphere and not have some of the issues that arise with fans that have maybe have too much to drink. Our city is very small, Southern town in the heart of the Bible belt and only within the past 10 years the law was passed to sell liquor by the drink and within the last 5 years, were liquor stores part of our community. 

• KirbyHawk75 likes this

#29 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,504 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

The Twins also can't simply say, "we're going to place our Class A team in XYZtown." Existing MiLB team owners are guaranteed an affiliation under the current MLB/MiLB agreement. That working agreement expires after 2020 which, not coincidentally, is when a LOT of the existing affiliation agreements (including the Twins/Kernels agreement) also expire.

The Twins own the E-town team, unlike the Kernels, and they are free to move it, like the owners of the New Britain Rock Cats moved their team to Hartford. Period.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#30 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

Hartford to New Britain  I do believe is about 12 miles.Not a gap in the housing either.About the distance from the east side of downtown Saint Paul to Target field. I doubt if they had to get a vote from the governing body of the league. Of course as long as the team is kept in the vicinity of the league and everybody can make more money, they are going to approve the transfer. A Fargo or Sioux Falls are not going to get a Midwest league franchiseToo far away

#31 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:15 AM

You also have to look at the logistics of a short-season team. Besides your Arizona or Gulf Coast League playing areas, it is the first time many players actually are away from home, working, and having to survive on little or nothing, in a small-town friendly atmosphere. It is a learning experience, and a level of play pretty consistent across THAT league. And the trips are by bus and to teams that kinda draw a fan base...a step above high school sport followers. And it also gives a sense of community and facilities for the community to use for their own town ball and prep sports, if done right. It ahs to be promoted, but that's up to the town to get butts in the seats and concessions in the hands of folks. The Twins take care of the personnel on the field.

And both Ray Smith and Jeff Reed have been a part of the community, as well as the area, for decades.

Short season ball is as close as the majors get to indy ball, in many ways...players on the cusp who have one-year to prove they can get another year of baseball.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#32 Kernels Fan

Kernels Fan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:46 AM

Some of the players I've met had interesting experiences there.  The housing situation was the most disappointing, according to them.  They crunched players into ramshackle housing and charged them high rents relative to their salaries.  When the program needed more housing, they would squeeze more players into nonconforming living situations and not drop the rent for the others.

It was just part of the overall economic situations there.  The hosts needed tenants as a source of income and the players felt squeezed.  

Much different than the Kernels and their host family program.

• etwinsfan likes this

#33 etwinsfan

etwinsfan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

I know there have been some interesting living situations here for some of the guys. But I also know it is a struggle for them to find places for the guys to live and that is why sometimes they do cram so many in one place. There are not a lot of people willing to open their homes or have in the past and had bad experiences with the players. Another thing is some of the players do not have vehicles so they try to place them close so they can walk if needed or get them with one that does so they will have a ride. When my family hosted however, we got some great guys and it was just like they were part of our family and there are some other host families like that. So not all were bad but there is a lot of behind the scenes things people are just unaware of.
  • Kernels Fan likes this