Not sure whether you have been following the happenings in Elizabethton the past couple of years. In summary:
- Joe O'Brien Field, the ballpark the E-Twins are playing is horrible.
- The ballpark is owned by the Town and the Fields and Parks Head serves and the E-Twins GM
- The Twins fully own the team (unlike their A, A+, AA, and AAA teams) and they can move it
- The Twins want the town to improve the field and the player accommodation to stay
- The City council earlier this year approved a bill to pay and the Twins decided to stay for the 2017 season
- Last month lots of back and forths, including an ultimatum by the city of Elizabethton to the Twins (ha) that expired today, asking an answer from the Twins on whether they were planning on staying past 2017 and whether planning to pay $600K.Of course the Twins declined to answer.
Latest news here.The City's budget is to be set up next week, so we shall see.Elizabethton is a pretty small town, under 14,000 people and not sure whether they can support even a rookie league ball team.The Twins might be better off moving the team somewhere else in the Appalachian League or even look for a short-season A league.
Interesting bit to watch the following couple weeks.
Edited by Thrylos, 11 March 2017 - 06:44 PM.