Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MRI Reveals Torn UCL For Trevor May

trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

I think we need to get a grip here. At his best May has been mediocre to this point in his career, he isn't a top of the rotation guy we're losing.

Let's hope he can come back and be a decent pitcher because even decent is better than most of what we have, imo.

• DJSim22, PseudoSABR, Kwak and 3 others like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#42 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

I think we need to get a grip here. At his best May has been mediocre to this point in his career, he isn't a top of the rotation guy we're losing.

Let's hope he can come back and be a decent pitcher because even decent is better than most of what we have, imo.

At his best May was one of the better 8th inning guys in baseball and looking to be a good bet to be a solid #3 as a starter. Not to mention he very likely would have been the Twins second best SP this year.

Hardly mediocre.
  • Ben B, Sconnie, HitInAPinch and 2 others like this
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#43 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

Bummer, big time. Hope this doesn't affect his controller grip. Wait a second...two major video games came out in the last week...

Forget Terry Ryan. I'm blaming Nintendo for this one.

#44 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

Mejia projects to be a back end guy, you don't have to worry as much about rushing him or moving him between majors and the minors multiple times, plus it would be good to see what he has.

May is a back end guy too, but you believe bouncing him around destroyed his arm. 

I'm not getting you today, at all.

#45 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Well for one thing: Santana ended up having significant arm injuries that ended up cutting his career very short.

Do you think his early career had anything to do with Santana's arm injury? Did you see how many arms his last manager shredded before learning the hard way to start using innings limits and pitch counts?

#46 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

At his best May was one of the better 8th inning guys in baseball and looking to be a good bet to be a solid #3 as a starter.

Lots of us wanted him to be those things so badly that we imagined them to be true. None of this ever was true.

I'm not saying he did not have potential, I'm saying he never lived up to our desires. This isn't his fault, as far as I can tell.

Edited by Doomtints, 11 March 2017 - 11:53 AM.

• Winston Smith and sftwinsfan like this

#47 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

I'm not going to address any specific post(s) but I think it's sheer guesswork on our part whether the changes in his role on the staff contributed to this injury. That may have or it may not have, I don't know. I would put stock in the opinion of an orthopedic surgeon or perhaps another health care provider but not in the opinion of a baseball writer or a web site participant.

• Carole Keller, glunn, Jerr and 8 others like this

#48 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

They could turn to the guy that had the best xFIP among their starters last year at 3.89 (Santana was 4.21).

#49 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

Pitchers get hurt. And statistically the best predictor of injury is previous injury.

It sicks May and the Twins, but he does seem to have a good attitude about it and ready to attack his rehab.
  • Riverbrian, HitInAPinch and MN_ExPat like this
Papers...business papers.

#50 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,275 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

I'm not going to address any specific post(s) but I think it's sheer guesswork on our part whether the changes in his role on the staff contributed to this injury. That may have or it may not have, I don't know. I would put stock in the opinion of an orthopedic surgeon or perhaps another health care provider but not in the opinion of a baseball writer or a web site participant.

Right. Why I'm hoping heazy will jump in with some perspective. Sometimes **** just happens.

• glunn, Riverbrian, Dantes929 and 2 others like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#51 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

I tend to agree. Wonder if Heazy is around and can give us an expert opinion and perspective on this. But I've never seen any kind of correlation in this unless mentally it forced him to do something differently. Difficult to know for sure, so yeah, I do tend to agree.

I can't say I'm aware of any data on switching between roles (SP/RP) but there is some fairly good data that discusses the effects of core injuries and that it can result in increased stress on the shoulder and elbow. So perhaps indirectly, if we believe his transition to the bullpen was a contributing factor to his back issues, we could say that switching may have been related to the current problem.

A more interesting question to me is, since this was an acute injury, is he a candidate for a direct repair instead of TJ...
  • Carole Keller, glunn, brvama and 9 others like this

#52 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Doing the Hokey Pokey never made anyone a better dancer.

But that's what it's all about.

• USAFChief, Jerr, flpmagikat and 4 others like this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#53 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Sorry I'm late to the thread, at a family function presently. Will try to contribute more when I get a chance.
  • Carole Keller, glunn, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#54 Walter's Whites

Walter's Whites

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

If the starting rotation starts with Santana, Santiago, Gibson and Hughes, then choose from one of the young guys:Berrios, Duffey or Mejia. 

I also think, of the last 3 already mention for the rotation, at least one of them should go. I don't really agree with the resigning of both Santiago and Gibson.At some point, you have to move on with youth.

I know there is basically a zero percent chance of this happening, but if Ryan Volgelsong wins the fifth starter job I'll probably have a stroke.

• Twins33, HitInAPinch, d-mac and 2 others like this

#55 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,275 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

I can't say I'm aware of any data on switching between roles (SP/RP) but there is some fairly good data that discusses the effects of core injuries and that it can result in increased stress on the shoulder and elbow. So perhaps indirectly, if we believe his transition to the bullpen was a contributing factor to his back issues, we could say that switching may have been related to the current problem. A more interesting question to me is, since this was an acute injury, is he a candidate for a direct repair instead of TJ...

As if on cue! Thanks! I consider you TD's expert in residence for these types of discussion! :)

• PseudoSABR, Heezy1323, HitInAPinch and 3 others like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#56 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

Sorry I'm late to the thread, at a family function presently. Will try to contribute more when I get a chance.

Thanks in advance for your valuable contribution to this thread!

• Heezy1323 and Vanimal46 like this

#57 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

I know there is basically a zero percent chance of this happening, but if Ryan Volgelsong wins the fifth starter job I'll probably have a stroke.

My thoughts exactly. The problem is I can see this as a realistic scenario....

• d-mac and jud6312 like this

#58 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

. A more interesting question to me is, since this was an acute injury, is he a candidate for a direct repair instead of TJ...

Can you elaborate on that specifically please?  Difference in effect, and recovery time to be included.

• glunn likes this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#59 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

Doing the Hokey Pokey never made anyone a better dancer.

Sounds  like just your opinion.  I know people that would only get out there for the Hokey Pokey so whatever dancing skills they might have had would only get better, in my opinion. Any sportswriters with opinions on this?  Any factual evidence?  If in fact the Hokey Pokey is what its all about then all other dancing would be for the purpose of getting better at the Hokey Pokey rather than otherwise.

• glunn, AlwaysinModeration, Heezy1323 and 2 others like this

#60 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

First Kirillof, then Gonsalves (still hoping for him), now the coup de grâce.  Goodness gracious what the hell did the Twins do that upset the baseball gods so?

Prior to that it was Sano and what feels like every other pitcher in the history of the Twins.  Just curious. Is this their stretching routine?  

• ashburyjohn, glunn, Han Joelo and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor may