Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

WBC

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

I really enjoy watching the WBC. I hope it sticks around. I especially enjoying learning about and watching the baseball culture in other parts of the world. Frankly, I would like to see it replace the All-Star game once, every four years. Pretty pie-in-the-sky here but maybe have MLB, the Nippon League, KBO and other international leagues take off 3 weeks in July to do a tournament and actively encourage players to participate. I'd also like to see the Cuban players in the MLB playing for Cuba. 

I would very much like to see this happen, and pull the plug on the all-star game/festivities that happen. There's nothing more boring, IMO, than sports all-star exhibition games. 

#82 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,779 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

If they take 3-4 weeks off, do you cut the number of games, start the season earlier in the cold, or finish later in the cold? I love the idea, I just don't know how to do it...

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#83 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

I thought Buster Olney's idea was good to expand the event to having the prelims during spring training, then hold off on the semifinals and finals for All-Star week, and turn the week into a showcase event, starting with the Futures Game Sunday, Home Run Derby Monday, WBC Semifinals Tuesday, then (this is where I will vamp from what Olney suggested) have a combination of the All-Star game, WBC finals and one off day during the week, whether that off day is between the AS game and WBC final or the semis and the other two events are consecutive on Thursday/Friday. You finish with Saturday/Sunday off for the players to get their rest.

If you do that sort of schedule every three years, are you really going to have that many people upset about the AS game being disturbed, especially now that it's back to being a truly meaningless showcase event?

• PseudoSABR likes this

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Contributor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!