Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Press Start: May Changes His Game (Again)

trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:40 AM

I think some of it has to do with the stigma video games have with people born before, say.. 1970.

Perhaps it's not wise to stereotype people unless you want it done for people born after 1970.....

#22 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

Now that he tore his UCL he will have plenty of time to play video games.

#23 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,225 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

Perhaps it's not wise to stereotype people unless you want it done for people born after 1970.....

I'll generalize this to it's not wise to stereotype people at all.
  • Carole Keller and IndyTwinsFan like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#24 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,929 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

Now that he tore his UCL he will have plenty of time to play video games.

Uh, maybe not if any kind of surgery and/or therapy doesn't involve repetitive motion stress risks.

• HitInAPinch likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#25 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

Uh, maybe not if any kind of surgery and/or therapy doesn't involve repetitive motion stress risks.

Normal, painless mobility comes back quickly after such surgeries, a matter of weeks. Tossing at 80-90 MPH takes a year, not usage of the arm.

#26 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,929 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

Normal, painless mobility comes back quickly after such surgeries, a matter of weeks. Tossing at 80-90 MPH takes a year, not usage of the arm.

My point is ... repetive motion stress is a consideration in recovery ... as one who is dealing and has dealt with various hand, arm, elbow, shoulder issues, I can attest to how the simplest of activities can exacerbate any issue ... from continued video game play, to smart phone and ipad use, to sitting at a desk all day long, extended computer use, etc.

We are all different and our bodies handle any kind of various physical activity, even of the passive kind, differently. It's a matter of being aware of response.

• HitInAPinch likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#27 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

My point is ... repetive motion stress is a consideration in recovery ... as one who is dealing and has dealt with various hand, arm, elbow, shoulder issues, I can attest to how the simplest of activities can exacerbate any issue ... from continued video game play, to smart phone and ipad use, to sitting at a desk all day long, extended computer use, etc.

We are all different and our bodies handle any kind of various physical activity, even of the passive kind, differently. It's a matter of being aware of response.

I'm not stranger to injuries. I have a connective tissue disorder. At any given time my knees, hands, feet, hips, or elbows can give out.

I'm sure that, as an athlete, May will be able to play video games in due time. He's probably playing them right now.

#28 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,929 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

I'm sure that, as an athlete, May will be able to play video games in due time.

Well, of course in due time, but that's not what you said. And all my point was, that even those types of activities will be monitored and could be limited in any kind of post-surgery/rehab phase.

#29 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

Well, of course in due time, but that's not what you said. And all my point was, that even those types of activities will be monitored and could be limited in any kind of post-surgery/rehab phase.

By "due time" I mean within a month after the surgery, if not half that......

As for what's monitored, as I've said I'm not stranger to weird/freak injuries. Every doctor has said to do whatever I feel comfortable doing. I doubt any doctor will forbid the guy from playing video games if he feels up to it......

Edited by Doomtints, 11 March 2017 - 11:56 AM.

#30 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 20,929 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

By "due time" I mean within a month after the surgery, if not half that......

As for what's monitored, as I've said I'm not stranger to weird/freak injuries. Every doctor has said to do whatever I feel comfortable doing. I doubt any doctor will forbid the guy from playing video games if he feels up to it......

Well, I guess you and I have had different injuries and different recovery/rehab and different doctors monitoring how different motion activities affect us.

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

Good golly. There are 12-16 hours of awake time every day. Do you not play games or read books or watch baseball games? Does that make you bad at your job. Wow people? These are humans, not robots.

The irony of people who don't play baseball professionally but spend their days on a baseball forum complaining about professional baseball players having non-baseball hobbies is pretty spectacular.
  • Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan and 7 others like this

#32 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

Well this thread isn't at all what I expected.

And not in a good way.

• DaveW, Jham and Vanimal46 like this

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,053 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

Well this thread isn't at all what I expected.

And not in a good way.

Yeah, mind.boggling. Wait a minute, shouldn't you be teaching right now? Or at the very least, be thinking about teaching?

Frankly Levi, I don't know how you expect to get above Mrs. Anderson on the depth chart. She reviews power point presentations every Sunday afternoon. And spends her weeknights sending personalized encouragement videos to all of her students. You? You play Zelda. For shame.....
  • Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#34 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Yeah, mind.boggling. Wait a minute, shouldn't you be teaching right now? Or at the very least, be thinking about teaching?

Frankly Levi, I don't know how you expect to get above Mrs. Anderson on the depth chart. She reviews power point presentations every Sunday afternoon. And spends her weeknights sending personalized encouragement videos to all of her students. You? You play Zelda. For shame.....

Gt+mfw+i+downloaded+cracked+winrar+_2d19

(I actually work with a Mrs. Anderson too!  Well played....)

Edited by TheLeviathan, 12 March 2017 - 02:13 PM.

• Carole Keller, Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#35 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,053 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:02 PM

I think it's a national law to have a Mrs. Anderson working in every school district around the USA.... My Mrs. Anderson was a wonderful 5th grade teacher!
  • Mike Sixel and TheLeviathan like this

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,297 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Gt+mfw+i+downloaded+cracked+winrar+_2d19

(I actually work with a Mrs. Anderson too!  Well played....)

Do you teach English, because if you do...

• ashburyjohn and TheLeviathan like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor may