Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Gonsalves scratched because of shoulder soreness

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 7,721 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

This interesting piece of information was hidden in this Mike Berardino article about Gonsalves and his grandfather:

Due to a recurrence of the minor shoulder soreness that bothered him last October at the Arizona Fall League, Gonsalves was scratched from a chance to pitch Wednesday night for Team USA against the Twins.

Bum shoulders are not a good thing and I hope that Gonsalves gets checked and takes care of it.Hope it is something minor...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

Yeah, that news came out about an hour or so before the game started. Berardino updated his article to include it.

#3 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

I hope this is only "minor", it just seems ominous that the same shoulder issue should reoccur so soon. I agree, I hope this gets a thourgh exam.

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

sigh

#5 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

gulp

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,666 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

Shoulder injuries are the worst.  I hope it's just a minor thing.

#7 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 2,556 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

I wonder if somebody has developed a technology for athletic analysis where they could attach sensors to the body at the stick-man points, then do an engineering analysis for stress points using the dynamic motions of a live pitcher like Gonsalves. Maybe it would reveal some subtle hitch in his motion that is causing a stress focus at the shoulder location. 

So many popped elbow ligaments and torn shoulders. There must be a way to at least reduce the mechanical stress. 

Pro tip: Try pitching to a little less contact.

#8 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

I wonder if somebody has developed a technology for athletic analysis where they could attach sensors to the body at the stick-man points, then do an engineering analysis for stress points using the dynamic motions of a live pitcher like Gonsalves. Maybe it would reveal some subtle hitch in his motion that is causing a stress focus at the shoulder location. 

So many popped elbow ligaments and torn shoulders. There must be a way to at least reduce the mechanical stress. 

They have been doing this for many years. Actually, the newest technology doesn't require any sensors- it can basically generate a computerized 'stick-man' that overlays the pitcher and make measurements with that. Really cool. 

The difficult part is when you get down to specifics. Some studies make more than a dozen measurements on a single pitch (usually a fastball). But there are literally hundreds of variables. Different pitches. Set position and windup. Early game vs middle inning vs late game fatigue. How do you pick out the one or two things that 'cause' an injury? Extremely difficult.

I guess I get a little frustrated when people imply that we aren't working on this as a sports medicine community. Believe me, we are. Extensively. But I promise you, it's REALLY hard to figure this stuff out.  

• jimbo92107, Taildragger8791 and Vanimal46 like this

#9 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

Check out this link- it may be helpful to those interested:

http://www.asmi.org/...p?page=bio_eval

#10 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 2,556 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:04 PM

They have been doing this for many years. Actually, the newest technology doesn't require any sensors- it can basically generate a computerized 'stick-man' that overlays the pitcher and make measurements with that. Really cool. 

The difficult part is when you get down to specifics. Some studies make more than a dozen measurements on a single pitch (usually a fastball). But there are literally hundreds of variables. Different pitches. Set position and windup. Early game vs middle inning vs late game fatigue. How do you pick out the one or two things that 'cause' an injury? Extremely difficult.

I guess I get a little frustrated when people imply that we aren't working on this as a sports medicine community. Believe me, we are. Extensively. But I promise you, it's REALLY hard to figure this stuff out.  

Thanks for the heads up, Heezy. It actually makes sense with all the recognition software that somebody might be able to develop it for pitchers, tho I suppose the problem would be money for development, since it's a pretty small marketing niche. On the other hand, it would be nice to have an app to show me how to swing a bat, or a racket, or a golf club using the camera on my phone or my lappy. 

(Side question... do you really need the 1323 on the end of your handle? That many Heezy's out there??)

• Heezy1323 likes this

Pro tip: Try pitching to a little less contact.

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

Ugh. 

• nytwinsfan likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#12 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

Any updates on Gonsalves? Ugh, I was hoping he'd start this year in AAA and make a push to the Bigs by July-August this year now I don't even know if he'll make a push for the Twins rotation next year as if his shoulder injury scraps this season he might not make the Twins staff till 2019 as 2018 would be a season of rehabbing in AAA.
  • nytwinsfan likes this