Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Depue: Gonsalves on spin rates (Haley on his role)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,268 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

http://www.1500espn....tin-haley-role/

Jake Depue is down in Ft. Myers. He has written recently for 1500ESPN. Today, he talked to Stephen Gonsalves and Justin Haley.

Gonsalves had some interesting comments about his spin rate. Depue wrote that it indicates that not only are the Twins getting the information but they're finding a way to provide it to the players. 

“[According to] Statcast, myself and Luke Bard have the highest spin rates for a fastball in the [Twins’] minor leagues. I think they’re saying it’s equivalent to 95.”

Also, he talked to Justin Haley about his potential role with the Twins this year.

“I’m open to anything,” he said. “In discussions right now, it looks like maybe long relief, maybe a spot start or two, but I’m totally happy coming out of the ‘pen and helping the team win any way I can.”

#2 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:10 PM

Any Rule V pitcher better be happy with a relief role...
  • GP830 likes this

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,268 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:11 PM

Any Rule V pitcher better be happy with a relief role...

When I chatted with Haley, he was so full of energy and excitement. Said he's pretty much only started in his career, but if they want him to relieve, be batboy, whatever, he was happy to do it.

• HitInAPinch likes this

#4 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:35 PM

Sounds like we might see Gonsalves in the Bigs sometime this year, especially if he does start in AAA this year. I get his stats in spring training is a very sss with him pitching 3.1 innings, but he has yet to give up a hit and has only 1 walk to 3 strike outs. I still want to remain optimistic Gonsalves will be better than what the "experts" see him as.
  • markos likes this

#5 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

When I chatted with Haley, he was so full of energy and excitement. Said he's pretty much only started in his career, but if they want him to relieve, be batboy, whatever, he was happy to do it.

Any Rule V pitcher better be happy with a batboy role...

• Seth Stohs likes this