Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Neal: Twins find hidden gem in Romero

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

Well here's an assessment from this Non-Twins fan but huge Romero fan. Fernando threw a side session on Friday and is scheduled to throw in game action on Wednesday. The kid has looked exceptional against AA competition with a FB sitting 95-97 mph topping at 99 (I told him the gun was hot) and his slider 88-91mph. The changeup is progressing with slightly improved control since last year but still needs polish for him to succeed in the MLB as a starter. Still he's 22 and looks to have lost 15lb from last year's 238lb frame.

Sounds like Romero is right on track. I am not concerned about Romero's changeup right now. The good news is a.he is in AA so the Twins have more control on what Romero needs to improve on such as his changeup, and b.he has an innings limit this year, that's good as it gives him the season to improve his change. I honestly think if successful and healthy this year he very well may challenge for a spot in the rotation next year coming right out of spring training.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#22 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Does anyone have any updates on how Romero his looked? His stats don't look amazing, and the Minor League updates, haven't touched on his struggles much. Does he still look as promising as we'd hoped?