Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Draft Preview: Five to Focus On

hunter greene kyle wright alex faedo jeren kendall mlb draft
  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

seems like there's a pretty simple way to sidestep the "immortal brien taylor" syndrome: resist any and all urges to throw wayward trailer-park haymakers.

• birdwatcher likes this

#42 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,246 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

Unfortunately, the rule doesn't allow you to DH for your next weakest position player....which would be fun.

The rule also doesn't let you retain the option of inserting a DH once your Babe Ruth clone hits the showers. If you submit a lineup without a DH, you lose it for the entire game.

If you're sure your pitcher will go 6+ innings, maybe it's worth the hassle/risk of having to pinch-hit for the rest of the game.

• rghrbek likes this

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#43 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

What are the chances Greene sticks at SS? A two-way SS / closer would be cool.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#44 AWOLNATION_11

AWOLNATION_11

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

After Greene I've been most interested in Faedo. That might change though if he keeps throwing 120 pitches per game. Man, the velocity will leave his FB before he's 25 if he keeps getting abused like that.

Seriously, It's still February, some of those coaches from big programs seem to have next to no concern for anything past the June college WS. A playoff by the way that Florida is almost certainly going to be part of whether Faedo throws 119 pitches in February or not.

Seems a little unfair.According to the article there was a two-out error and then a full count walk.He was looking at a complete game at around 110 pitches before the error.Coach probably wanted to give him one more batter to finish it off and it happened to be a full-count walk. 

#45 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,501 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

Seems a little unfair.According to the article there was a two-out error and then a full count walk.He was looking at a complete game at around 110 pitches before the error.Coach probably wanted to give him one more batter to finish it off and it happened to be a full-count walk. 

why was he in the game for 110 pitches?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#46 AWOLNATION_11

AWOLNATION_11

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:20 PM

why was he in the game for 110 pitches?

Going for the complete game win. If the kid is a stud and can stay effective beyond 100 pitches, I like that. I'm not Blyleven, but I do have to say I'm not a fan of the arbitrary 100 pitches get him out of there mentality.I'll sit back and read as this comment gets ripped apart the rest of the day. 

• Oldgoat_MN and 70charger like this

#47 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,501 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

Going for the complete game win. If the kid is a stud and can stay effective beyond 100 pitches, I like that. I'm not Blyleven, but I do have to say I'm not a fan of the arbitrary 100 pitches get him out of there mentality.I'll sit back and read as this comment gets ripped apart the rest of the day. 

I'm not either, but you wanna bet if this happens more, or less, this year? You do know the history of college coaches abusing these guys, right?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#48 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

What are the chances Greene sticks at SS? A two-way SS / closer would be cool.

I'm gonna say chances are slim. He is listed at 6'4" 205 as a 17 year old which is pretty big especially considering he will probably keep growing. For context A-Rod was 6'3" 190 when he was drafted and he was considered unusually big for a SS and it was debated whether he could stick at SS, granted he played there for some years but was eventually moved to 3rd. Also Sano was 6'4" 190 when we signed him as a 16 year old so there's that

#49 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

Was that before or after the Falvey and Lavine hiring and the Johnson & Johnson scouting director switch?

Just wondering because Wright looks more like a vintage Terry Ryan kind of pitcher. On the other hand Deron Johnson lately seemed to go the other way and take the bigger FB/higher ceiling arms.

Before those things. But the scouting staff as a whole hasn't really changed. Three new guys replaced two guys that were let go.

#50 AWOLNATION_11

AWOLNATION_11

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

I'm not either, but you wanna bet if this happens more, or less, this year? You do know the history of college coaches abusing these guys, right?

I'm not going to bet anything and I'll admit I have not studied up on the history of college coaches abusing their pitchers. I was mostly trying to point out that Faedo approaching 120 pitches in this specific game seems to be more a result of how the last few batters played out versus a predetermined plan to have him throw 119 pitches.   

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#51 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

I'm gonna say chances are slim. He is listed at 6'4" 205 as a 17 year old which is pretty big especially considering he will probably keep growing. For context A-Rod was 6'3" 190 when he was drafted and he was considered unusually big for a SS and it was debated whether he could stick at SS, granted he played there for some years but was eventually moved to 3rd. Also Sano was 6'4" 190 when we signed him as a 16 year old so there's that

I just wonder about the "two-way" pitcher helium. After all, Jake Arrieta had the highest wRC+ among pitchers last year with a 91. Whereas at catcher- the next "easiest" position to be a two-way player, 14 guys had wRC+'s above 91. In other words, its relatively hard to be a two-way catcher, compared to a two way pitcher.

People talk about Greene like he has a safety in his bat if the pitching doesn't work out. Well, depends where he is on the diamond. If he can stick at SS, then yeah maybe there is a real net there. If he's gotta play 3rd or OF, how much of a net does he really have?

Edited by Willihammer, 27 February 2017 - 12:57 PM.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#52 baumannmd

baumannmd

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

My non-sabermetrics view on Hunter Greene is pretty high. He's a gamble coming out of high school, but his athleticism and character make him a good bet to me.

Baseball America (I know, relax) had a good story about his work ethic, intelligence, and overall
character. Even if the Twins don't take him, I'll be keeping an eye on him to see how his career pans out, if it does.

http://www.baseballa...ft/get-to-know/
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#53 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

• Members
  • 720 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

Hunter Greene's build reminds me of Dave Winfield.
Credited with fixing Buxton's swing June 29, 2017.

#54 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,501 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

benjamin
12:30 does hunter greene have a very good chance to remain a starter?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:31 I think so. Elite level athlete for a pitcher, delivery is gorgeous, prototypical size/strength, there's nothing not to like.

• Oldgoat_MN, nytwinsfan, HitInAPinch and 1 other like this

#55 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• 2,985 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

benjamin
12:30 does hunter greene have a very good chance to remain a starter?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:31 I think so. Elite level athlete for a pitcher, delivery is gorgeous, prototypical size/strength, there's nothing not to like.

That's different than, "Should Greene go 1-1?"

Greene's becoming a cult hero in the Twin Cities.

#56 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,501 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

That's different than, "Should Greene go 1-1?"

Greene's becoming a cult hero in the Twin Cities.

Backup QB syndnrome, and hope, and his amazing ability which none of us have seen....

#57 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:41 PM

Hunter Greene's build reminds me of Dave Winfield.

I saw teh video of his season opener and he looked like Doc Gooden/Dave WInfield going out on that mound.  My initial thought would be to avoid the HS pitcher, but after looking at taht his physical athleticism on the mound is just intimidating.  

He is the obvious #1 pick for the Twins.  If I am the Twins I am also moving him swiftly up the minors.

• nytwinsfan likes this

#58 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,926 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:30 AM

Two of the top 5? No.

The difference between the first and second pick is only $550k, so there isn't this great incentive to take less money at #1 when you can get nearly the same amount at #2. 

End of the day, though, they could maybe save $400k. They do have some flexibility with having #35 and #37. Maybe they have a guy they really like that agrees to take $1m at #35 and then they have $2m they can spend at #37 (but that's only equal to the #31 pick).

So long story longer, they do have some financial flexibility, but not enough to get two top 5 talents. They'd be better off banking it all until Round 11 and taking a Round 3-4 high school talent again like they did last year in Benninghoff.

That makes sense... so here's the real question.Is there a guy or guys that may be a mid-first rounder that would fit the mold of someone they could offer an overslot to at 35 or 37 who they could entice to demand a lot more if they could get their top pick under slot by a bit?(Hint, that might be an interesting series on its own).

Given how hard it is to find successful picks after round 1, this seems like an option they should strongly consider.. unless of course they are enamored by the HS talent in this draft.

#59 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• 2,985 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

That makes sense... so here's the real question.Is there a guy or guys that may be a mid-first rounder that would fit the mold of someone they could offer an overslot to at 35 or 37 who they could entice to demand a lot more if they could get their top pick under slot by a bit?(Hint, that might be an interesting series on its own).

Given how hard it is to find successful picks after round 1, this seems like an option they should strongly consider.. unless of course they are enamored by the HS talent in this draft.

Are you willing to take someone that isn't likely to go Top 5 first overall? To *maybe* get a guy that drops?

Or would you rather have the guy you like the most and two other Top 40 talents?

The Twins have always played the draft relatively straight and I'd expect that to happen again. 

• Oldgoat_MN and Vanimal46 like this

#60 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,501 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

No chance I pass on elite talent for the small chance someone falls. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hunter greene, kyle wright, alex faedo, jeren kendall, mlb draft