Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

The Return of Nishi

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'm worried that Nishi's second hand smoke may affect our younger Players.

Edited by Highabove, 05 August 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#42 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

They'll have to pay out the contract - somewhere between between ML min and $1mm/yr. But it's better than the complete waste of cash that they have now.

Likely. I was responding to the previous poster who suggested that Ryan might find a trade partner for Nishi. It's difficult to fathom that any club would have any interest, unless there's a squad out there that is indifferent to horrendous middle infield defense and is trying to build up their fan base in Japan.

#43 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,270 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

This must be a business decision. Why not just call up Escobar now?

Escobar needs to play for a month since he's been rottin on the White Sox bench. I'm good with Nishioka coming up again and seeing what he can do, if he's been able to make any improvements.

As for longer term, they Twins may time putting the likes of Carroll and Casilla on waivers until Plouffe is back.

#44 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

Escobar needs to play for a month since he's been rottin on the White Sox bench. I'm good with Nishioka coming up again and seeing what he can do, if he's been able to make any improvements.

As for longer term, they Twins may time putting the likes of Carroll and Casilla on waivers until Plouffe is back.

While I agree, Nishi has nowhere to go but up as he can't be any worse than he showed last year. Having said that, I have yet to hear from anyone other than a random poster or two, and the month of July when his BA wasn't hovering at the Mendoza line, that he has made enough progress to make claims to progressing on a path to inviting more consideration that he is a legitimate major leaguer. Oh well, at least we're likely soon due for some entertaining moments in August that will be eminently nominatable for ESPN's "Not The Top Ten".

#45 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Maybe they'll give him the Valencia treatment, play him for a ten days, and then send him through waivers and dump him for a rookie league player

#46 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,899 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Maybe they'll give him the Valencia treatment, play him for a ten days, and then send him through waivers and dump him for a rookie league player

If only they could!

#47 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

They'll have to pay out the contract - somewhere between between ML min and $1mm/yr. But it's better than the complete waste of cash that they have now.

Even if he retires at the end of the season?

#48 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Likely. I was responding to the previous poster who suggested that Ryan might find a trade partner for Nishi. It's difficult to fathom that any club would have any interest, unless there's a squad out there that is indifferent to horrendous middle infield defense and is trying to build up their fan base in Japan.

The Mariners?

#49 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Assistant to the General Manager

• Members
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

...and he's still horrible.....

Should'a gone fishing

#50 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

While I agree, Nishi has nowhere to go but up as he can't be any worse than he showed last year. Having said that, I have yet to hear from anyone other than a random poster or two, and the month of July when his BA wasn't hovering at the Mendoza line, that he has made enough progress to make claims to progressing on a path to inviting more consideration that he is a legitimate major leaguer. Oh well, at least we're likely soon due for some entertaining moments in August that will be eminently nominatable for ESPN's "Not The Top Ten".

Wow, talk about Instant Gratification. A Twins blowout and not one, not two, but three NNTTTs in his 2012 debut. [Nishi Not The Top Ten]

#51 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

"The Mariners? "

Yup. But after tonight, Nishi could be the direct heir to the Emperor's Chrysanthemum Throne and there's still absolutely no chance that Jack Zduriencik would touch him with a ten foot pole.

#52 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

I know it's one game, all I can say is WOW. He was plain horrible tonight.

#53 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,601 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

Epic.
Papers...business papers.

#54 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,791 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

I couldn't believe dickbert gushing over his swing tonight, that is one of the dumbest swings I have seen in a while. This kid has no hope.

#55 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

I couldn't believe dickbert gushing over his swing tonight, that is one of the dumbest swings I have seen in a while.

This kid has no hope.

To be fair, the gushing stopped on Jamey Caroll's "error". Bert started to excuse Nishi, but reversed course during the replay and lit into Nishioka pretty good.

#56 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,899 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

If possible, Nishioka managed to drive his stock down. Is there a worse healthy player on any team's 40-man roster?

#57 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

0-5 and two errors on a night when everyone was hitting. I would have given him a 3rd error on his failure to catch Caroll's throw. I would sit him and wait for Plouffe to come back.

#58 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

0-5 and two errors on a night when everyone was hitting. I would have given him a 3rd error on his failure to catch Caroll's throw. I would sit him and wait for Plouffe to come back.

Nishi's here to play. Gardy said it.

#59 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Your pitching has died of dysentery."

• Members
  • 6,689 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Nishi's here to play. Gardy said it.

The only sane motive for this must be to embarrass Nish into accepting a lowball 2013 buyout.

#60 PopRiveter

PopRiveter

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

0 for 10 and counting. I see some hope, though, that he may reach base on a fielder's choice or hit-by-pitch today. He looks due!