Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Catcher

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

I looked into how the Indians used Chris Gimenez last year. He was the primary catcher for two of their pitchers in Trevor Bauer and Josh Tomlin. He didn't catch Kluber at all and caught few of Carrasco and Salazar's games.

The Indians had three right handed catcher so platooning by opposing pitcher wasn't and ideal match for them. I wonder how much they valued matching a pitcher with a catcher. Will that carry over to the Twins? Will platooning catcher by Twin starting pitcher rather than opposing pitcher give more value?

If it were a computer game, the choice is obvious and they should sit Castro against lefties. On the field, I don't think the choice is as obvious.

There have been a few occasions where the Twins matched a catcher to a pitcher. Junior Ortiz caught Scott Erickson on the 1991 World Series team. That was brilliant. Gardenhire inexplicably matched Sam Deduno with Josmil Pinto virtually guaranteeing that both would fail. That decision was indefensible as they sat a catcher whose one plus defensive skill was blocking pitches whenever the pitcher on the team most in need of a blocked pitch took the mound.

What do you think? If the Twins were to match Castro with three of their starters, where does he fit best?
  • nicksaviking likes this

#2 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 17,296 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

Since the Indians had three RH hitting catchers, platooning based on the opposing starter had close to zero impact. They could ignore that factor.

That's not the case or the 2017 Twins. I've got to think the benefit of limiting Castro's exposure to LH pitching outweighs any possible benefit of matching him to Twins starters. The benefits of doing that are pretty speculative anyway.
  • Twins33, nicksaviking and bluechipper like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,986 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

Hard to say. I think the answer to that question depends on how the front office feels about Castro's backup catcher.

If JR Murphy is a huge downgrade, then it makes sense to ensure Castro receives the young pitchers or a pitcher who fits a certain profile (for example, if Castro is vastly superior at getting the low strike, he catches Gibson).

But if the drop-off between the two isn't steep, it makes sense to focus on offense instead and start Murphy against lefties as frequently as possible.

Castro is going to get plenty of plate appearances against lefties either way, though. The question to me is whether he gets 200 PAs against them or 120 PAs against them.

• Oldgoat_MN and DocBauer like this

#4 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,123 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

I suspect we will see Castro paired with May, Berrios and the kids more often and Murphy or whoever is the backup catching a lot of Santana and Santiago, with platooning a secondary concern.

• goulik likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#5 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,123 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

Take any group of 5 starters and at least 1 or two will have a strong preference for catcher. One thing I noticed is Castro is 6' 3 and Murphy is 5' 11. I always liked throwing to a bigger backstop in high school personally, although it could have been (probably was) all in my head.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#6 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

Is how well certain catchers work with certain pitchers going to factor in at all to who even makes the MLB roster as a catcher? If Garver and Berrios connect well in AAA to start the season, does Garver come up with Berrios when Hughes goes down injured again? If we don't know who will make the MLB roster, (pitchers or catchers) how does this discussion even happen yet?

Also it seems that some of this discussion is platoon which would be Batter vs Pitcher not battery mates. A catcher assigned to a certain pitcher(s) would not necessarily line up well in a platoon discussion... Maybe it is just Friday but I don't fully get this conversation...

BTW, I am still rooting for Garver to FORCE his way onto the roster with a monster ST season to follow up his AFL experience. (Its February, and I can dream right?) 

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,986 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

I suspect Murphy still has the inside track on being the second catcher, though I could be wrong.

Garver isn't good enough to force his way onto the roster and a little more seasoning won't kill him. He only has 84 PAs at AAA in his career.

I think Murphy gets one more shot - his 2016 was so comically bad and outside his expectations that it almost needs to be discarded - and then the team makes a decision based on John Ryan's performance early in the season.

• Mike Sixel and Oldgoat_MN like this

#8 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

I suspect Castro will get most of the starts early versus RHP. Murphy will platoon against LHP. Hopefully Garver will play mgmt's hand and will be the RH platoon option against LHP by mid season. 

If not-- I sure hope it's cuz Murphy is crushing it. I still see him as a potential .270 BA guy. 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#9 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:40 AM

I saw they have Gimenez working in the outfield and at first base. Might they carry three catchers? Will a veteran like Gimenez in the 25th spot bring unmeasured value on the bench and in the clubhouse?

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,548 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

I suspect we will see Castro paired with May, Berrios and the kids more often and Murphy or whoever is the backup catching a lot of Santana and Santiago, with platooning a secondary concern.

You trust Molitor to do this?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,986 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

I'm hoping that with a new front office that puts more stock in Goin's department, Molitor will come around on a few things.

He's a smart baseball guy, I don't understand why he manages the way he does.

#12 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,123 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

What's to trust? This is conventional wisdom, no?

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#13 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

Take any group of 5 starters and at least 1 or two will have a strong preference for catcher. One thing I noticed is Castro is 6' 3 and Murphy is 5' 11. I always liked throwing to a bigger backstop in high school personally, although it could have been (probably was) all in my head.

"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."
  • Willihammer likes this

#14 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

I'm hoping that with a new front office that puts more stock in Goin's department, Molitor will come around on a few things.

He's a smart baseball guy, I don't understand why he manages the way he does.

i wonder if manager tendencies have as much to do with how they are managed, as compared to their own philosophy and personnel/talent available to them.

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 14,686 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."

What about the rest?

• Sconnie likes this

You can accomplish amazing things if you do not care who gets the credit.