Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

What to do at Left Tackle?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,570 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

Rumor is Okung is being cut so the Broncos can pursue Whitworth or another OT.  So I think this is a zero-sum move.

#22 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

With  out of the first 5 draft choices select: OT, C and OG.  Use AT LEAST one of the three remaining picks on the best OL available.  Focus on players with experience at multiple positions.

#23 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

Okung would be a solid get. He isn't what he used to be, but at least he wouldn't embarrass himself out there and would be 10x better than the garbage the Vikes were tossing out on a weekly basis in 2016.

It will be very disappointing if they bring back Kalil, the guy is a lazy player and a bust. No thanks.

<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#24 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

Here is a different alternative. Bring back Kalil but as the RT, not as the LT. You can pay him less, say 6-7 mill a year and I think he's likely to take it because he wants to stay in Minnesota and I don't think there'll be a market for him is a $10 million a year or more LT. Assuming that Adrian Peterson is either going to get released or have a much lower cap number, that gives you money to sign a LT.

I think the two guys you really want are either Andrew Whitworth or Jason Peters. Both are in their mid-30s and are 2 to 3 year stopgap guys at a high level while you hopefully draft and develop a replacement on a little bit of a longer timetable. The Eagles are ready to trade Jason Peters for a mid to late round draft choice according to what I have read and the guy can play at a high level. Whitworth would be the better "get" but he is going to be more expensive and there will be a lot of competition. Start with trying to get Whitworth, Peters becomes your second option, and then consider Valdheer if he is in fact cut by Arizona as is being rumored. Andre Smith does not come back and Clemmings and Sirles can be the backups.

One other option would be to sign Ricky Wagner as your RT and bring back Kalil as the LT. I do not like this is much cause I just don't think Kalil is going to make it as a starting LT,, although I do like Wagner as a player. 

• Vanimal46 likes this

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,570 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

Reports are that Peters is staying put.  And there are already teams cutting their current tackle (Okung) to make a run at Whitworth.  You're right, we can compete financially, but you're doing it for a pretty old guy at LT.  

There are so many teams with need at LT, I highly doubt Kalil will need to move to RT to get a contract.

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,512 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

I'd be happy with a decent placeholder at LT, if they spend real money on RT and RG (or C), and draft an OL or two early. 

Me? sign an ok LT, sign a really good OG, draft a RT and C (who can also backup OG if we keep our current C) in round 2 and 4 or so. Draft another OT or OG or C in round 1 or 2 in the following year. Quit passing on OL until round 4....

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#27 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,910 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

The Lions picked up RT Ricky Wagner. One of the better options out there. Reportedly in the $9 MM per season range. 

Maybe that means Reiff is signing somewhere else? 

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,910 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

I also really, really hope Ryan Boser is wrong. Per his Twitter: 

"Vikings have offered Matt Kalil 3/~$30M w/bonuses"

That contract would make me physically ill. 

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,512 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

The Lions picked up RT Ricky Wagner. One of the better options out there. Reportedly in the $9 MM per season range. 

Maybe that means Reiff is signing somewhere else? 

How the Vikes didn't offer more than that boggles the mind.

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,910 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

How the Vikes didn't offer more than that boggles the mind.

Well, if you believe Ryan Boser's source, they're busy offering that kind of contract to Kalil.... Ugh. 

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,512 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

Well, if you believe Ryan Boser's source, they're busy offering that kind of contract to Kalil.... Ugh. 

His daddy assures us that Kalil is healthy now....

• twinssouth and Vanimal46 like this

#32 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

Maybe we're going to sign Kalil at 6-7mil a year with 3-4 mil in attainable bonuses depending on health, thus freeing up the money to sign Zeitler to pay RG and Reiff or Okung to play RT? Or maybe we're going to move Kalil to RT (my thought all along) and sign Reiff or Okung to play LT? Just looking for that silver lining here, folks...

• Mike Sixel likes this

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,512 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

If they can cut Kalil when he is terrible again this year, without penalty, I could maybe live with that. Maybe. 

• nicksaviking, Vanimal46 and Shaitan like this

#34 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,877 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

If they can cut Kalil when he is terrible again this year, without penalty, I could maybe live with that. Maybe. 

Yes, but now my fear after seeing that Wagner deal is that the Vikings are going to wait out Kalil while the remaining options all sign and the Vikings will be left without a chair when the music stops and Kalil goes elsewhere.

I'm not going to denounce Speilman, he's done some really good things in the past, but I've become less and less convinced that he can put a competitive offense together any longer. I'm ready for a new leading man. Or woman, I'm not a misogynist.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#35 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,910 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

Yeah I can't see Kalil agreeing to a contract we would hope for. Minimal guaranteed money off the bat.... and if he hits some goals, such as snaps played, performance things, then more guaranteed money can come into play. 

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,512 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

Wagner signing with the Lions.....

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,910 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

The hot rumor from Mike Florio is Kalil will sign with the Panthers so he can play with his brother. 

The Vikings need to strike while the iron is hot. Okung, Reiff, someone.... 

#38 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,910 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

The best LT available, arguably, appears to be off the board. Per Adam Schefter on Twitter:

"Framework of Andrew Whitworth deal between Rams and @_SportsTrust: 3 years, $36M, $15M guar, including $2.5M guar in Year 2"

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,512 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

Well, maybe they are trying for most wins per dollar spent....

#40 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,570 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

I don't think we ever had a shot with Whitworth or Kalil.

C'mon Reiff.