Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

What to do at Left Tackle?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

Clearly TJ Clemmings has no business being a LT in the NFL. This team has a lot of work to do rebuilding the line, and frankly, not a lot of options to improve it. 

Does Ryan Clady or Kelvin Beachum do anything for you? Both are slated to become FAs, and coming off poor seasons. 

Do you give Matt Kalil the franchise tag? Or risk him getting a multi-year offer on the FA market? 

For me, I think I would hesitantly give Kalil the franchise tag and see if he is finally healthy again. 

#2 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

Do you even have to franchise Kalil? He might do a one year prove-it deal so he can cash in on a better multiyear deal next season. And where else would he have a better opportunity to showcase himself? If we can't sign someone else I'd certainly entertain that idea. You know you'll get the most motivated version of Kalil possible.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,161 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

I'd go after Ty Nsekhe.  Have seen enough of Kalil to want nothing to do with him again.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

Do you even have to franchise Kalil? He might do a one year prove-it deal so he can cash in on a better multiyear deal next season. And where else would he have a better opportunity to showcase himself? If we can't sign someone else I'd certainly entertain that idea. You know you'll get the most motivated version of Kalil possible.

There's a couple of contending teams that should be in the market for a LT this off-season. Seattle had a terrible OL, the NY Giants are close to being a Super Bowl contender, maybe a couple of dark horse teams too. 

That's what worries me. Even though we know Kalil should not get a multi-year deal, there may be another organization desperate enough to gamble on him. 

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

I'd go after Ty Nsekhe.  Have seen enough of Kalil to want nothing to do with him again.

I can definitely understand not wanting anything to do with Kalil. At the most, I would grit my teeth and let him come back one more time. I'm not a great OL mind, but if Ty Nsekhe is a better option, by all means I'm all for it. 

Edited by Vanimal46, 16 February 2017 - 09:37 AM.

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,340 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

It kind of depends on what you do with the OL as a whole. Do they even have an OT other than Clemmings on the roster now? And what about OG?

I think they sign one expensive FA, one medium FA, and then use the draft on the rest. Given the OTs in the draft, I'd probably try to deal up into round 1 with their 2nd and AP and Floyd in a package, and draft the start LT. If anyone would do that.....which I doubt.

I try to sign Zeitler for the open OG spot, use their 3rd round pick and current players for C, Boone at LT or LG or RG, medium FA for RT, and who the heck knows what for LT. 

Kalil hasn't been healthy for a few years now, I'd almost rather go with a guy with less upside, but that in whom I was relatively sure would be healthy. 

• TheLeviathan likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#7 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

I'd do everything possible to upgrade from Kalil, but I think we saw this year how much lower the floor is when you swap him out for just any guy. Bringing him back on a 1-year deal at least assures a minimum level of competence on the QB's blindside.

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

Kalil is going to get paid.  PAID.  This offseason there is an enormous need for many teams (contenders and wannabes alike) to improve their line play.  Line play around the league is absolutely terrible, so if you think Kalil is going to have to settle for a 1 year, make good deal....you're kidding yourself.

I probably pony up for Zeitler so I at least have one spot upgraded.  For LT?  I might take a shot at Clady on a bounce back and I draft at least two linemen in the first four picks of our draft.  

But don't kid yourself, the options are going to stink.  We aren't going to walk out of this feeling really good.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,615 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

Kalil has never held up against speed rushers. It might stink for next year, but I cut him loose. He might be the best LT available, but that's not saying much and the team can't keep kicking the can down the road. Start looking for a long term solution, even if it's not until the 2018 draft.

Or would Cleveland now move Joe Thomas for a 2nd rounder? He only has one year left on his deal so I'm not sure if that's a good move for the Vikings or not. If he's still OK next year then he could get franchised.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

Kalil is going to get paid.  PAID.  This offseason there is an enormous need for many teams (contenders and wannabes alike) to improve their line play.  Line play around the league is absolutely terrible, so if you think Kalil is going to have to settle for a 1 year, make good deal....you're kidding yourself.

I probably pony up for Zeitler so I at least have one spot upgraded.  For LT?  I might take a shot at Clady on a bounce back and I draft at least two linemen in the first four picks of our draft.  

But don't kid yourself, the options are going to stink.  We aren't going to walk out of this feeling really good.

Agreed on Kalil. Would you put the franchise tag on him? He's certainly not worth the gamble of a multi-year deal unless he proves that he's healthy again. His regression in 2014/2015 was alarming to say the least. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

Agreed on Kalil. Would you put the franchise tag on him? He's certainly not worth the gamble of a multi-year deal unless he proves that he's healthy again. His regression in 2014/2015 was alarming to say the least. 

I'd consider it.  That'd just be one hard pill to swallow, but I'd probably do it.  (Especially once we have Peterson's money gone)

I think the tag would only be a couple million raise from what he made last year and you'd at least give yourself a viable LT for another year.  Maybe while you groom another guy at RT for a year?  (Thinking a draft pick)

Edited by TheLeviathan, 16 February 2017 - 12:07 PM.

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

I ran this by my wife. It'd mean some work over the next few months, but I could strap on the pads again, if the Vikings need it...

• Mike Sixel, TheLeviathan and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#13 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

Clearly TJ Clemmings has no business being a LT in the NFL. This team has a lot of work to do rebuilding the line, and frankly, not a lot of options to improve it. 

Does Ryan Clady or Kelvin Beachum do anything for you? Both are slated to become FAs, and coming off poor seasons. 

Do you give Matt Kalil the franchise tag? Or risk him getting a multi-year offer on the FA market? 

For me, I think I would hesitantly give Kalil the franchise tag and see if he is finally healthy again. 

Maybe move TJ Clemmings to third and have Sano play LT?

• Mike Sixel, gil4, Siehbiscuit and 6 others like this

#14 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

Maybe move TJ Clemmings to third and have Sano play LT?

I knew we needed a shortstop and a few pitchers, but I forgot we needed a left tackle, too.

• Blake likes this

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

I ran this by my wife. It'd mean some work over the next few months, but I could strap on the pads again, if the Vikings need it...

My high school days are far behind me as well, but that NFL minimum salary sure looks tasty....

• Siehbiscuit likes this

#16 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

Miami Dolphins LT Braden Albert is on the way out... But it sounds like he may be on the way to Jacksonville via trade.

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,340 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

Miami Dolphins LT Braden Albert is on the way out... But it sounds like he may be on the way to Jacksonville via trade.

One less team to compete with in trying to find an OT in FA/draft....since Miami has a 2nd year player.

• TheLeviathan likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#18 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:37 PM

I'd offer a 2nd for Joe Thomas and a 4th.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#19 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,615 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

Russell Okung is also now available. The LT market is looking better each day. Not great, just better.

Two weeks ago Matt Kalil probably thought he could sucker a team into multi years of guaranteed salary despite coming off of a lost season. Not so much anymore.

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

Russell Okung is also now available. The LT market is looking better each day. Not great, just better.

Two weeks ago Matt Kalil probably thought he could sucker a team into multi years of guaranteed salary despite coming off of a lost season. Not so much anymore.

Good. Flood the market with average-ish LTs so it drives down the contract rate.