Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Expansion Draft

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,108 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

I like Haula.

#62 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

Explain this logic to me: give up a #1 pick (Tuch) and a solid player (Haula) in order to keep a different #1 pick ( Dumba), especially when your next plan is to trade Dumba or someone else who plays his position? Is Tuch considered that much lesser than Dumba?

#63 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

Explain this logic to me: give up a #1 pick (Tuch) and a solid player (Haula) in order to keep a different #1 pick ( Dumba), especially when your next plan is to trade Dumba or someone else who plays his position? Is Tuch considered that much lesser than Dumba?

Tuch isn't close to the player that Dumba is.
I get that it seems like a lot to give up just to keep your own player, but I think it was a great move.
We thought all along that the Wild were going to have to lose a really good player to the expansion draft. We managed to lose just an okay role player, and a solid but not great prospect instead. That is a huge win, IMO.
If Dumba played for another team, and we traded Tuch and Haula for him, I would have viewed the trade as a big win.
Finally, Chuck has plans to trade a top 4 defenseman to improve the roster. That wouldn't be possible if we had also lost a top 4 defenseman for nothing.
  • DaveW, Deduno Abides and Vanimal46 like this

#64 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,790 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:15 PM

Yeah this was a really good move by the Wild.

It sucks losing Tuch, but whatever, he has a long ways to go to become someone they will truly miss.

I liked Haula alot, but he struggled this year, also due to the cap it's likely they would have lost him anyways as a RFA, someone would have taken a chance on his upside.

I'd still prefer we trade Brodin or Scandella instead of Dumba at this stage, maybe Brodin tbh.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#65 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:20 PM

Wow, some people really undervalue Dumba here. This was a smart move by Fletcher.

#66 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,673 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

Wow, some people really undervalue Dumba here. This was a smart move by Fletcher.

In fairness, how much have you actually watched the lad, relative to the wild fans in this post?

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#67 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

In fairness, how much have you actually watched the lad, relative to the wild fans in this post?

I would guess there is a good chance as much or more. I regularly watched Dumba when he was playing as a junior in Red Deer. CHL games are regularly televised in Canada and since I live in Western Canada I would get WHL games almost exclusively. 

Also, with an NHL Centre Ice subscription I watch the Wild quite a bit, obviously more than you realize.

Also, also, most people make their determination on Dumba purely on the eye test, which we all know has inherent bias and tends to retain big event plays, not what is actually happening on the ice the vast majority of the time. 

#68 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,673 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

I would guess there is a good chance as much or more. I regularly watched Dumba when he was playing as a junior in Red Deer. CHL games are regularly televised in Canada and since I live in Western Canada I would get WHL games almost exclusively. 

Also, with an NHL Centre Ice subscription I watch the Wild quite a bit, obviously more than you realize.

Also, also, most people make their determination on Dumba purely on the eye test, which we all know has inherent bias and tends to retain big event plays, not what is actually happening on the ice the vast majority of the time. 

touche. 

• twinsnorth49 likes this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.