Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Expansion Draft

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,579 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:44 AM

I endorse protecting Zucker. He turned a corner this season and looking forward to seeing if he can take the next step. 

Sucks that one of the D-men were not going to be protected. I still would have preferred Dumba over Brodin. Hope Dumba does well in LV. 

• nicksaviking likes this

#42 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,787 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

Man, does anyone remember when expansion drafts for all teams ensured the new team had to take the time and effort to develop the organization from the ground up? The NHL must really, really want their new Vegas team to do well right away. This process is slanted in their favor so much more so than when the Wild and the rest of the new teams joined the league When the Rockies, Marlins, Rays and DBacks joined MLB and when the Bobcats, Raptors and Grizzlies joined the NBA, they were picking from the scrap heap.

Hell, the new Cleveland Browns STILL haven't found their footing.

But the owners had to agree to this expansion format, which almost makes it seem to me that they are more concerned with the new team making bank and contributing to the NHL as an asset than they are with putting the best team on the ice for their own franchise.

#43 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,033 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

They should be able to put together a pretty decent team right away. They could get some good veterans (Marc Methot, MA Fleury, James Neal), some solid young defenders (Dumba, Oleksiak, Sbisa), and Brock Nelson to provide some firepower. Probably not a contender, but not a pushover either. Interesting. 

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#44 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,434 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

My plan would not be losing Matt Dumba - unique skill-set among Wild defenders, can play tough and hit, growing offensive prowess, great skater. Yeah, he has his brain farts on occasion, but so did all Wild d-men I watched last season. So did another former Wild draftee likely to win the Norris this year, Brent Burns.

Like Brodin, but Dumba's ceiling is off the charts.

Fletcher is starting to circle the bowl for me. To aggresive at the trade deadline always, not keeping the picks that would be gold at this point. He's very lucky his scouts drafted well with little the last few seasons.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#45 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,033 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:27 PM

Here's my bold prediction (otherwise known as a hawt taek):

McPhee chooses olofsson over dumba.

#46 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,907 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:45 PM

My plan would not be losing Matt Dumba - unique skill-set among Wild defenders, can play tough and hit, growing offensive prowess, great skater. Yeah, he has his brain farts on occasion, but so did all Wild d-men I watched last season. So did another former Wild draftee likely to win the Norris this year, Brent Burns.

Like Brodin, but Dumba's ceiling is off the charts.

Fletcher is starting to circle the bowl for me. To aggresive at the trade deadline always, not keeping the picks that would be gold at this point. He's very lucky his scouts drafted well with little the last few seasons.

This, leaving Dumba exposed was inexplicably stupid. Fletcher is a moron with a capital M.

Vegas would be insane not to take him.

#47 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,240 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:17 AM

Yep, I predict that Fletcher will regret letting Dumba go for nothing.
Big mistake, IMO.

#48 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,240 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:19 AM

Here's my bold prediction (otherwise known as a hawt taek):

McPhee chooses olofsson over dumba.

What is the rationale behind this?
Dumba is better now, has more potential, and costs more (Vegas needs to get to the floor).
And they are both 22 years old.

#49 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,033 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:14 AM

What is the rationale behind this?
Dumba is better now, has more potential, and costs more (Vegas needs to get to the floor).
And they are both 22 years old.

Are you unfamiliar with how hot takes work?

#50 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,579 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

These are the jerseys Matt Dumba will get to wear next season. Not terrible!

fekvda54e7iut5f7k4nw.jpg

#51 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,033 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

These are the jerseys Matt Dumba will get to wear next season. Not terrible!

fekvda54e7iut5f7k4nw.jpg

1. It appears that Fletch worked something out and Vegas is taking Haula.
2. Upon closer inspection, those gold stripes are actually glittery/sparkly...and the primary logo still looks like a condom to me.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#52 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,033 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

What's more, Russo says one of Tuch, Greenway, or Kaprizov is going with him. I'da just let Dumba go, personally, but I jumped ship a while ago now, so go Kings.

#53 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,033 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

Here's my predicted roster:

Capture

1. We know now that Vegas is taking Haula + instead of Dumba. 

2. Some of these teams...sheesh. Really hard to pick someone you'd want from Arizona's list, or Toronto's. 

3. The Ducks are going to do something to protect one of Manson or Vatanen. I think they'll go Vatanen, so Vegas would have to take Manson. 

4. Fleury's going. He's ready to not play all playoffs long, then hand it over to Murray in the SCF. 

5. McPhee shouldn't take any deal that would prohibit him from taking Nelson. I don't think he will. 

6. This team is going to be decent. Most of these names won't be in Vegas come October, but, I think Vegas will project better on paper than at least a few teams. 

#54 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,579 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

Haula, Tuch, and a 1st round pick is the rumor I'm hearing.... Las Vegas can take 1st round picks? This is all so confusing. 

#55 rghrbek

rghrbek

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 704 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

Haula, Tuch, and a 1st round pick is the rumor I'm hearing.... Las Vegas can take 1st round picks? This is all so confusing. 

Boy if that is the case that is way, way too much of an over pay to protect Dumba....my goodness.  Personally I feel Haula alone had same value (if you can do that with a center vs. defenseman), then throw in high prospect Tuch...ouch.  Then a #1?  Dumba is a sometimes dynamic young defensemen, who at times is an absolutely a liability.

Russo very confident Wild will trade one of the defenseman (probably Brodin) very soon after expansion draft...

I guess we will see

Edited by rghrbek, 21 June 2017 - 12:56 PM.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#56 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,579 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

My buddy who texted me that rumor may be wrong about the pick being involved. He's way more into it than myself so I took his word for it. 

• rghrbek likes this

#57 rghrbek

rghrbek

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 704 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

My buddy who texted me that rumor may be wrong about the pick being involved. He's way more into it than myself so I took his word for it. 

We will see, as I have been following Russo...who is by far the best beat writer in town, and the most accurate and plugged in...

#58 Twins33

Twins33

• 557 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Russo corrected to saying Haula plus Tuch and the Wild get a conditional pick in return.

Edited by Twins33, 21 June 2017 - 01:15 PM.

#59 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,579 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

The dust has settled. Vegas takes Haula. Tuch is also heading there. The Wild receives Vegas' 3rd round pick in exchange for Tuch.

Edited by Vanimal46, 21 June 2017 - 08:23 PM.

#60 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,033 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

14 out of 30 ain't bad...