Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Expansion Draft

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,116 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

I dunno about that, Koivu is having an amazing year as a C, not sure Haula is a top 6 guy yet.

I meant that Haula could replace Zucker.

Wouldn't be ideal of course, but you could probably put this guy on a line with Koivu and Granlund right now and he'd look pretty good. 

Capture

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Yeah I think you have to protect Koivu, Parise, Pominville, and Suter. I add Spurgeon, Coyle, Zucker, and Granlund.

Then I hope they take a D guy and not Nino.

Ideally I find a way out of protecting Pominville so I can protect Nino instead.

#23 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

Yeah I think you have to protect Koivu, Parise, Pominville, and Suter. I add Spurgeon, Coyle, Zucker, and Granlund.

Then I hope they take a D guy and not Nino.

Ideally I find a way out of protecting Pominville so I can protect Nino instead.

I would absolutely protect Nino over Zucker. Without question. 

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

I forgot about the 7/3 option. Pominville is the key to making this happen.
  • Pardon My Dinger likes this

#25 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

I forgot about the 7/3 option. Pominville is the key to making this happen.

Yeah, I imagine they can figure out a way to have him waive the clause. There is like zero chance Las Vegas would take him anyways, especially when they have the option of some solid Dmen instead.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#26 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

I meant that Haula could replace Zucker.

Wouldn't be ideal of course, but you could probably put this guy on a line with Koivu and Granlund right now and he'd look pretty good. 

Oh I see, I dunno, I think Zucker has really taken some real nice steps forward this year. Reminds me of a young mans/poor mans Parise a bit in how he plays.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#27 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, I imagine they can figure out a way to have him waive the clause. There is like zero chance Las Vegas would take him anyways, especially when they have the option of some solid Dmen instead.

The only way is if we basically say "take him for us and we'll give you a pick to do it". Which, to my understanding, is allowed.  

And I'd probably be ok with that, depending on the pick.

#28 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

The only way is if we basically say "take him for us and we'll give you a pick to do it". Which, to my understanding, is allowed.

And I'd probably be ok with that, depending on the pick.

No I'm talking about having Pominville "waive" his clause for the draft, so basically the wild DONT have to protect him. Once that happens it's pretty much a 99.99999% chance that LV takes someone other than pominville anyways. While allowing us to use pominvilles auto protected spot on a guy like Nino Haula etc instead. Does that make sense?

LV wouldn't get Pom, the Wild would just be able to protect an extra fwd

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#29 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

Also I doubt pominville would want to leave Minnesota for Vegas anyways. The "trading him to Vegas" part I don't see happening.

I actually still think Pom can be a solid contributor for this team for the next couple years anyways, he will be streaky and overpaid, but still an asset IMO. It's not Heatley like.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#30 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

As I stated earlier, it may not be quite the forgone conclusion that vegas wouldn't take Pommer if available. Vegas will no doubt want some veteran leadership. He can still score, if only in bunches. And Vegas will actually need some cap impact to be compliant.

Not saying it would be likely, but who knows?
  • TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

#31 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

As I stated earlier, it may not be quite the forgone conclusion that vegas wouldn't take Pommer if available. Vegas will no doubt want some veteran leadership. He can still score, if only in bunches. And Vegas will actually need some cap impact to be compliant.

Right, plus you attach a pick to that and they might take him.

I don't know how the "waiving" process even would work for an NHL contract.

#32 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:38 PM

There will be plenty of over priced "goal scorers" avail to LV during the draft. Young, good defenseman will be very few and far between. I think at the very least 2 of Scandella, Brodin and Dumba will almost certainly have to be exposed, LV would be insane to take Pominville over any one of those three IMO.
  • TheLeviathan likes this

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#33 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

Right, plus you attach a pick to that and they might take him.

I don't know how the "waiving" process even would work for an NHL contract.

If it's a 3rd or later...ok. But the Wild really need to keep their 1st and 2nd round picks moving fwd for a bit. Otherwise things could we ugly in the system in a few years.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

Well I doubt Pommenville is going to just waive his NTC out of the kindness of his heart.
This is a business, we'd likely have to tack on a couple more guaranteed years.
No thanks.

#35 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:04 PM

Well I doubt Pommenville is going to just waive his NTC out of the kindness of his heart.
This is a business, we'd likely have to tack on a couple more guaranteed years.
No thanks.

I think they could make the argument as followed:

1. "we talked to LV, we know they are gonna take one of the D men"

2. By you waiving your NTC, we keep the team even stronger, thus giving us a better chance at a cup title.

Again, if you have a choice between Scandella, one of Dumba/Brodin, Haula and Pominville, you would be insane to take Pominville from that group. He's not a bad player, but he doesn't have near the upside of the other 3.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#36 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

Since the goal is to free up a slot so they can protect another Forward, instead of asking Pominville to waive his NTC, they could ask Parise to waive his.

There is no way that Parise would be taken due to the length of his contract.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#37 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

Since the goal is to free up a slot so they can protect another Forward, instead of asking Pominville to waive his NTC, they could ask Parise to waive his.

There is no way that Parise would be taken due to the length of his contract.

This is also something to try.  And with his contract price, length, and a down year in production it may be ideal.

#38 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:22 AM

We finally got praise to stop acting like a spoiled brat. Not into that idea.

#39 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

I think they could make the argument as followed:

1. "we talked to LV, we know they are gonna take one of the D men"
2. By you waiving your NTC, we keep the team even stronger, thus giving us a better chance at a cup title.
Again, if you have a choice between Scandella, one of Dumba/Brodin, Haula and Pominville, you would be insane to take Pominville from that group. He's not a bad player, but he doesn't have near the upside of the other 3.

Of course Pommenville won't be taken, that's not my point.
This is a business, not a hobby for these guys. It's not Pommenville's job to make the roster stronger.
The Wild want something from him, he will want something in return. That is business.