Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Expansion Draft

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

What would you guys do, if you were Fletch?

Personally, I'd make Zucker my sacrificial lamb. I love the guy, but it would be too enticing for Vegas, and we wouldn't have to worry about Nino, Granlund, or Dumba/Brodin.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#2 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

Then again...Granny and Nino probably won't be signed at that point. I think that means they're off limits. Anyone know about that for sure?

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,899 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

I think these would be my preferred options:

Offer Vegas a pick to take Pominville for us if he is willing to waive his no-move clause

Failing that.....I hope they take Brodin.  We are in a better position to lose a D-man than Zucker IMO.

Granny, Nino, and Haula are all RFAs.  But if you can find a way to shed Pominville and Brodin than you can keep all three of those guys around.  And I think that should be the plan.

I like Brodin, but I think we can get by without him.  Oloffson, Folin, Reilly, etc. are all options.  

• nicksaviking and Vanimal46 like this

#4 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

I think these would be my preferred options:

Offer Vegas a pick to take Pominville for us if he is willing to waive his no-move clause

Failing that.....I hope they take Brodin. We are in a better position to lose a D-man than Zucker IMO.

Granny, Nino, and Haula are all RFAs. But if you can find a way to shed Pominville and Brodin than you can keep all three of those guys around. And I think that should be the plan.

I like Brodin, but I think we can get by without him. Oloffson, Folin, Reilly, etc. are all options.

I don't think there's any conceivable way to 'shed' Pomminville. But the theory is that fletch can get him to waive his NTC, which would allow the wild to protect one of m the younger guys.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,899 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

I don't think there's any conceivable way to 'shed' Pomminville. But the theory is that fletch can get him to waive his NTC, which would allow the wild to protect one of m the younger guys.

Yeah, his NTC is a major complication.

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

Then again...Granny and Nino probably won't be signed at that point. I think that means they're off limits. Anyone know about that for sure?

Here's a link for the Expansion Draft Rules. If Granny and Nino aren't signed, then if I'm understanding the rules correctly they wouldn't be eligible for the draft. 

So here would be the options to expose:

2 Forwards under contract for 17/18 - Pommer (if he waives NTC), Coyle, Koivu, Stewart, Zucker, Staal, Parise

1 Defenseman under contract for 17/18 - Brodin, Dumba, Scandella, Spurgeon

1 Goalie that can be either a RFA or under contract - Steve Michalek? 

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

I would hate to expose Zucker since he's really honing in on his game right now, and could be a perennial 25+ goal top 6 forward. Las Vegas would certainly draft him to be a top 6 forward on their team. 

I think the Wild could take the loss of Brodin.... Love the guy, and think he's a great defensive minded player, but I think Dumba has more potential to be a force on the power play.  

• nicksaviking and TheLeviathan like this

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Cooperstown

• Twins Mods
  • 9,668 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, making the choices of whom to expose would have seemed much easier 12 months ago. Not a great time for a half dozen guys to finally break out.

I mean unless you're interested in winning hockey games now. Then I suppose it is a pretty good time for them to break out.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt, TheLeviathan and 1 other like this

#9 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

Here's a link for the Expansion Draft Rules. If Granny and Nino aren't signed, then if I'm understanding the rules correctly they wouldn't be eligible for the draft. 

So here would be the options to expose:

2 Forwards under contract for 17/18 - Pommer (if he waives NTC), Coyle, Koivu, Stewart, Zucker, Staal, Parise

1 Defenseman under contract for 17/18 - Brodin, Dumba, Scandella, Spurgeon

1 Goalie that can be either a RFA or under contract - Steve Michalek? 

I don't see anything in the rules regarding unsigned RFAs.The exemptions only apply to 1st and 2nd year players and unsigned draft picks.If the Wild submit a qualifying offer to an RFA, they remain the property of the Wild and thus are eligible to be selected in the Expansion Draft.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:22 AM

I don't see anything in the rules regarding unsigned RFAs.The exemptions only apply to 1st and 2nd year players and unsigned draft picks.If the Wild submit a qualifying offer to an RFA, they remain the property of the Wild and thus are eligible to be selected in the Expansion Draft.

Interesting, thanks for clearing it up. 

#11 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

The key is to get Pommer to waive the NMC. That really makes this a slam dunk. If I can expose Pomminville, I'm protecting (7F) Parise, Koivu, Staal, Coyle, Granlund, Zucker, Nino, (3D) Suter, Spurge, JoBro, and (1G) Dubnyk. 

In that scenario, Dumba's probably headed to Sin City. People love his potential, but there's a risk that he never gets there. Brodin's already locked up and, just, like...more good. 

If Pomminville decides he is too proud, and wants to give everyone of his bosses and colleagues a headache, then I'm sticking with my Zucker strategy. They'll take the bait, he'll go home, and we'll at least not have lost any part of our defensive core. 

• TheLeviathan likes this

#12 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationEmeryville, CA

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

This will become very interesting. First move would be to see if Pommer waives his NMC - he won't be selected by Las Vegas, but it would be a move to allow the team to keep Zucker. They would then protect Stall, Koivu, Parise, Granlund, Zucker, Nino and Coyle on offense and Suter, Spurgoen and either Dumba or Brodin. I would hate to lose either Dumba or Brodin so this will be a tough call. I think Dumba would be the tougher player to replace because he's offensive minded and also a right handed shot, so I would probably protect him.

The left shot Defense on the team include Suter, Brodin, Scandella, Olofsson and Reilly.

The right shot Defense on the team include Spurgeon, Dumba, Folin and Prosser.

The order of the players above is also how I would currently rank them. As I said before I would hate to lose Brodin, but with the Wild being deeper on the left shot defense he's "easier" to replace. 

As a side note I'm really high on Olofsson and I think he'll be a very good player. I also can't stand Reilly... he's terrible at everything but skating.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#13 Spikecurveball

Spikecurveball

• Members
  • 635 posts
  • LocationRice Lake

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

Brodin is a guy I would definitely protect. He plays a quiet game and is sneaky good. Way under rated IMO.

• Pardon My Dinger likes this

#14 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

The left shot Defense on the team include Suter, Brodin, Scandella, Olofsson and Reilly.

The right shot Defense on the team include Spurgeon, Dumba, Folin and Prosser.

For the sake of the PP, you could just throw a Right-shot forward in that spot instead. 

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,899 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

Brodin is a guy I would definitely protect. He plays a quiet game and is sneaky good. Way under rated IMO.

I like Brodin, but at some point costs come into play here too.  We simply might not be able to afford to keep Nino and Zucker and Granlund with us paying Brodin and Scandella as much money as we are. And if i have to choose Brodin or one of those three forwards to move on....I choose Brodin.

#16 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

The way Pommer's been cruising lately, do you think there's a chance he would not agree to waive the NMC, out of fear he might get drafted? Seems far fetched that he'd get picked, but he's a captain and he's led the league in scoring since mid January.

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,899 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

I think we should just learn to accept that one of Dumba/Brodin/Scandella is likely gone.  Or we lose Zucker....which is worse IMO.

#18 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

There is NO WAY you can let Zucker go. The Granlund-Koivu-Zucker line might be one of the top 2 or 3 lines in all of hockey.

Losing one of the D men is the way to go, it sucks, but they have a lot of depth, Oolfasseun (spelling) has been playing really real lately, and you have guys like Reilly/Folin who can step up as well.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#19 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

There is NO WAY you can let Zucker go. The Granlund-Koivu-Zucker line might be one of the top 2 or 3 lines in all of hockey.

Losing one of the D men is the way to go, it sucks, but they have a lot of depth, Oolfasseun (spelling) has been playing really real lately, and you have guys like Reilly/Folin who can step up as well.

I pretty much agree...but, I think you could put Haula on that line and get pretty comparable production.

#20 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

I pretty much agree...but, I think you could put Haula on that line and get pretty comparable production.

I dunno about that, Koivu is having an amazing year as a C, not sure Haula is a top 6 guy yet.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"