Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Prediction on Parmelee recall

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

With the team in BOS (close drive to new brit)....I wouldnt be shocked if he's brought up for Sundays game. On Gardy's radio show Friday....he says he wants to bring him up, sooner the better as there are few off days & he wants an extra bench player. Said the reason is that he needs to know they can go down to 12 pitchers.:rolleyes: Luis Perdomo has pitched 2/3 of a meaningless inning in the last week & Jeff Manship hasnt pitched since his recall. Dont think the 12/13th guys are needed right now. They are getting a solid 6IP every start and if they are gonna do it, it will be soon. Said he's willing to play him in LF or RF as well as 1B Best thing about Chris' play in AAA (IMO) is how hes crushed lefties 18/50 .360/.429/.540

Edited by greengoblinrulz, 04 August 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#2 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

I only want him up if he'll play. And right now he won't.

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

He hasn't played an inning in the outfield at Rochester this year, I'd feel better if he had. For the most part, particularly this year, when the Twins play out of position, they haven't performed well on offense, and Parmelee has been no exception. I think a recall could make sense if his at-bats mostly come at the expense of Doumit, but Morneau is playing better, and surely the Twins aren't going to limit his time if they have eyes on moving him this month or in the off-season.

#4 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

I agree that if Gardy is thinking about playing him in the OF, why doesnt he play OF in ROC?? This is something that Ive noticed over the yrs with their minor league teams. lst yr, Rene Tosoni played basically LF with MN but had only played a handful of gms (including after demotion) in LF in minors over his career.

#5 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Unless he can magically play 3rd, 2nd or SS parmelee has no space in the current lineup.

#6 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

I agree/ The next question is who to add before the season ends to the 40-man, if places open. I picture Daniel Turpen, Slama, maybe Pedro Florimon. We all know Hicks HAS to be added to escape the Rule 5...but sooner or later. The joy is anyone added before season's end can be sent back out on waivers. Should the Twins keep Carlos Gutierrez?

#7 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

I think you have to bring Parmalee up and play him at first. If the Twins are gonna trade Morneau this offseason (which looks likely) you have to know that Parmalee can play. Put Justin at DH to keep his bat in lineup--rotate Mauer, Doumit and Josh. It may cost the Twins a win or two or three but the season is gone. We have to know that Parmalee is part of our contending team in 2014.

#8 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

The decision to give Doumit a two year contract blocks Parmelee's development. Doumit is signed to be more than a back up catcher. Over his career, he is stronger from the left side which doesn't make him a good platoon option with anyone but Willingham and they are not platooning Josh. For this year, I would reduce Doumit's playing time and play Parmelee. It may help the Twins decide if they want to trade Morneau. They have to play Morneau to keep his trade value up.

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

The decision to give Doumit a two year contract blocks Parmelee's development. Doumit is signed to be more than a back up catcher. Over his career, he is stronger from the left side which doesn't make him a good platoon option with anyone but Willingham and they are not platooning Josh. For this year, I would reduce Doumit's playing time and play Parmelee. It may help the Twins decide if they want to trade Morneau. They have to play Morneau to keep his trade value up.

It does not block Parmelee's development if the latter plays every day at AAA. It (partially) blocks some of his MLB PAs. That's it. (other than the fact that a certain manager insists on having Drew in the majors and play him - but that has nothing to do with Doumit) Morneau being with the team blocks him :) If they trade Morneau, he will be up with the team. And since the Twins are not going any place other then maybe fight the Indians for 3rd place, Parmelee is better served at AAA as long as Morneau is with the Twins. September is pretty close...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

I think you have to bring Parmalee up and play him at first. If the Twins are gonna trade Morneau this offseason (which looks likely) you have to know that Parmalee can play. Put Justin at DH to keep his bat in lineup--rotate Mauer, Doumit and Josh. It may cost the Twins a win or two or three but the season is gone. We have to know that Parmalee is part of our contending team in 2014.

It will be interesting to see if there's any demand for Morneau at all even if he keeps hitting like he is. His contract is so big and teams are still going to have question marks about him that I think the market will be limited. Mackey tweeted that they should move him for a pitcher this offseason, which I think is pretty funny. I don't see anyone taking his $14M contract, health questions, and giving something up decent return as well. I like Morneau but the gain for the Twins in moving him would be saving money.

Which, to my mind means that Parmelee isn't going to have a chance to get a decent number of ABs barring an injury.

#11 ltwedt

ltwedt

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

What is the fascination with Parmalee????? He comes up, doesn't play, can't hit, and can't play ANYWHERE but 1B - Does he figure in the Twins future plans??? I hope not! Let's do a two-person package and get rid of Valencia and Paramlee - maybe for Leeeeewwwww! ;)

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,719 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

What is the fascination with Parmalee????? He comes up, doesn't play, can't hit, and can't play ANYWHERE but 1B - Does he figure in the Twins future plans??? I hope not! Let's do a two-person package and get rid of Valencia and Paramlee - maybe for Leeeeewwwww! ;)

It probably has something to do with his career .365 MiLB OBP, his .812 career MiLB OPS, and his 1.159 AAA OPS this season. He's always been good at getting on base but now the power is starting to manifest. I don't think anyone expects him to be a 5 WAR player but he could be a solid contributor for the league minimum.

#13 DJSim22

DJSim22

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

I know Parmelee has a shot and has improved, but he just has that AAAA player look to him. At any rate, if you call him up, he should play. I hope they leave him in AAA and let Morneau continue to sting the ball.

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,719 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

I know Parmelee has a shot and has improved, but he just has that AAAA player look to him. At any rate, if you call him up, he should play. I hope they leave him in AAA and let Morneau continue to sting the ball.

If he's not going to play, he shouldn't get the call. He needs reps. I'd like to see those reps come in Minnesota in a lost season but if they can't fit him in, so be it.

I used to think Parmelee was a fringe prospect but after his September 2011 and his AAA numbers this season, he's starting to force the Twins' hand. They can't keep ignoring a kid who is mashing everywhere he gets regular play.

#15 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Parmelee is not going to learn to hit major league pitching in AAA. He needs to come up and be allowed to play and struggle at this level. Teams out of contention can afford to do this with their prospects.

#16 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

If Morneau continues to hit AND add some power, I think they could still move him in August. Then we'll see about Parmalee and have more $ for pitching. That being said, I'd be bummed to see Morneau go.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,719 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Parmelee is not going to learn to hit major league pitching in AAA. He needs to come up and be allowed to play and struggle at this level. Teams out of contention can afford to do this with their prospects.

It's hard to claim that he has anything left to learn in the minors when he's posting well over a 1.100 OPS in Rochester.

I just don't know where the Twins will fit him into the lineup. But if the Twins are willing to sit Doumit, Mauer, and Morneau a little more often down the stretch, they could probably squeeze him in regularly at 1B/RF/DH enough to get him 4+ games a week.

Personally, I think he should take Mastrioanni's spot on the roster (or maybe drop a pitcher) with a mandate that Gardy work him into the lineup as often as possible. Darin doesn't have much upside and the Twins need to see what they have in Chris for 2013 and beyond.

#18 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

I don't think anyone should have a problem sitting those guys a little more often. Give them an easy end to the season. Mauer, Morneau, and Doumit have already surpassed their number of games played last season and Willingham is on pace to pass his. I don't see any problem with sitting those guys more often, especially in September. Let them finish feeling strong and not beaten down so they can have a good offseason.

#19 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

Danny's gone to BOS.....time for Parmelee???

#20 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Sean Burroughs might make more sense since he plays third base.

#21 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Why not see about extending Morneau with a 2 year 12-15 million extension? Is he worth something like that? I think he is a good candidate to buy low on and keep in the fold. He will have the concussion potential issues but he seems to be moving further past them. A 2 year extension will keep him in Minn through age 34. that is not too old. and if we can get it done at a value price then all the better. The extension could come this offseason or after next spring if he is still healthy. If he starts out hitting well, I could see a 2 year 20 million extention too.

#22 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Sean Burroughs might make more sense since he plays third base.

not on 40 man roster...tho Danny's trade opens up a spot. Would think Escobar (playin 3B not SS in AAA) could be the guy also.

#23 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Don't forget that Deibison Romero at AA used to be on the 40 man roster, and he is hitting .270 with 15 homers. He might finish the season with close to 20. He should certainly be the Twins' AAA 3rd baseman next year, and could be called up to fill in if Plouffe has more hand problems. I'm not sure if he bats right or left. Also, I'm not sure of his defense, but before he was injured about 3 years ago, he was considered a legit prospect, and it looks like he is working his way back to that status. So, I'm not surprised Valencia was traded, because Romero would have pushed him aside for the AAA spot next season. Now, Romero might also be a 6 year free agent after this season--I'm not sure, but I would think the Twins would do everything they could to keep him as insurance next season at 3rd.