Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Daily Top Prospect Countdown: 15-11

mitch garver felix jorge daniel palka lamonte wade jt chargois
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:53 AM

They are developing Garver.... He'll get every day at-bats in AAA while Murphy or Gimenez finds at-bats when they can behind Castro. 

If Castro is hurt for a long period of time, Garver should and probably will get the call to be the every day MLB catcher. 

Agreed. Gimenez was brought in because of JRM, not Garver. I support the FO wanting Garver to play everyday in AAA and work on his receiving a bit more. I'm hopeful that JRM has the edge on Gimenez because he offers upside but I like that they have another option for backup catcher that isn't "Garver sitting on the bench most days".

Next year, a Garver/Castro platoon looks really nice with it tilting towards Garver as he gets more comfortable at the MLB level. 

• diehardtwinsfan and Vanimal46 like this

#22 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

I think the problem with Palka / Kiriloff comparisons is that Palka's weak spots - plate discipline - is a real issue that Kiriloff hasn't shown.  Everyone knew Palka (and ABW) could hit the ball a mile.  Frankly, the minors are full of hitters with plus or even plus plus power that never made it because they couldn't hit ML caliber pitching.

I like Palka a lot and I think it was one of Ryan's sneaky trades.  I'm actually optimistic on him and think he'll be a solid ML for a few seasons.  But Kiriloff has the much higher ceiling, even if he's farther away.  I think he's the better prospect. 

Agreed. Hard to see Palka being an opening day starter for even three years, let alone 5-6 years like you can project for Kiriloff. That K rate is just troublesome and unless he can cut it in AAA, he seems like a 4th OF or platoon DH or 1B at best. That's not a bad thing to get for Chris Hermann, I'm not complaining. But I'd say that Palka is rated a bit too high even.

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

Isn't Palka's floor never making it to MLB?  

Sure.But Kirilloff's floor is Matt Moses, which is much less that Palka has already achieved.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#24 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

Sure.But Kirilloff's floor is Matt Moses, which is much less that Palka has already achieved.

I mean, every minor league player's floor is Matt Moses. Kirilloff has a way higher ceiling and the only reason his floor is lower is that he's five years younger. Palka is already potentially hitting his head on the ceiling. That power is nice but the AAA to MLB jump is tough for someone who K's as much as he does. I'm excited to see Palka in AAA but I'll be paying little to no attention to his power numbers - I want to see him get that K rate low enough that I can be excited about him as more than a September bench bat who goes on a power binge before pitchers adjust to him.

• Mike Sixel and gunnarthor like this

#25 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,059 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

On Jorge, he needs to get more Ks. His stats have been pretty good, but that K rate is too low. Given his age, there's room to improve, but I don't think that rank is unreasonable at all. I like guys like Jay and Romero much more than Jorge.

If I remember right on Wade, he would have been drafted much higher had it not been for that injury. Personally, given how few of those mid-to late round picks make it, I like the strategy of taking guys who would have been higher picks but fall due to injury. Wade is a guy I hope starts in AA. He's another CF as well, which makes me think he can provide above average defense at the corner.

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,523 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:24 AM

100% honest, I was impressed with what Walker produced, power and RBI and a sense of consistency through his 5 milb seasons. I was tantalize by what he might produce if he could continue to produce at the same level, overall, and maintain his level of production the majors. And I kept hearing his arm was good and he was a great athlete, and in time his defense would catch up and he'd be at least OK in that department.

But I am kind of tired of the Walker vs Palka comparisons.

I am not going to do the research for every single statistical comparison to the two. But I have looked at the most basic numbers between them. Overall, 5 milb seasons for Walker vs Palka's 4:

Walker: .251BA/ .310OB/ .487SLG/ .796OPS
Palka: .273BA/ .350OB/ .508SLG/ .859OPS

SB and SB% almost identical, though Palka has a couple more in one less season.

Not saying Palka will be good, much less great,but thus far, he ranks ahead of Walker in BA, OB%, SLG% and OPS. Same age within days of one another, one less season of time for Palka. Can we stop with the comparisons? Palka seems to clearly be a better prospect.
  • Thrylos and diehardtwinsfan like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#27 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,873 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:08 AM

100% honest, I was impressed with what Walker produced, power and RBI and a sense of consistency through his 5 milb seasons. I was tantalize by what he might produce if he could continue to produce at the same level, overall, and maintain his level of production the majors. And I kept hearing his arm was good and he was a great athlete, and in time his defense would catch up and he'd be at least OK in that department.

But I am kind of tired of the Walker vs Palka comparisons.

I am not going to do the research for every single statistical comparison to the two. But I have looked at the most basic numbers between them. Overall, 5 milb seasons for Walker vs Palka's 4:

Walker: .251BA/ .310OB/ .487SLG/ .796OPS
Palka: .273BA/ .350OB/ .508SLG/ .859OPS

SB and SB% almost identical, though Palka has a couple more in one less season.

Not saying Palka will be good, much less great,but thus far, he ranks ahead of Walker in BA, OB%, SLG% and OPS. Same age within days of one another, one less season of time for Palka. Can we stop with the comparisons? Palka seems to clearly be a better prospect.

I guess the FO followed your logic as it was Walker who was dropped, not Palka.What better arguments can there be for the average fan but the last pitcher in the bullpen, the 5th outfielder/infielder, or the makeup of the 38, 39, or 40th spot on the 40 man

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitch garver, felix jorge, daniel palka, lamonte wade, jt chargois