Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Hammond Happenin

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:35 AM

Feb 6
Make no doubt about it, there are Twins players and prospects starting their respective seasons.
Didn’t see a bullpen session, but Phil Hughes, Michael Tonkin were doing some tossing in an outfield before going into the weight room.
There was an infield exercise that many of the position players participated then there was a batting practice made up of about three groups of four batters before most of the players heading into the weight room to finish out their day. Could pick out players like Mitch Garver, Travis Harrison and Lamonte Wade, but perhaps a little surprising was Byungho Park participating as if he has every intension of being part of the Minnesota group.
I enjoy the camaraderie of the small group of spectators who do our best at attempting to access our face recognition tools to figure out who the unidentified players are, and then sharing whatever information we know or heard from another spectator. Sure no one could figure out who one of the four participants was in the first group of BP, but sometimes we nailed it!
Of course Halsey Hal was there as usual and he encouraged me to start this post. He did promise to contribute, he just didn’t want to start it….post started!

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Seth Stohs, Parker Hageman and 15 others like this
You're killin' me Smalls!

#2 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 16,202 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:49 AM

Excellent!

Park is now a non-roster invitee to the ML camp, so it's no surprise he's there ... at least unless/until he's claimed.

Fill us in as much as you can! Thanks, guys!
  • NoCryingInBaseball likes this

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,014 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

I've been waiting for someone to post this...

I just started seeing some pictures on Facebook... 

And if anyone has pictures, post them here and we'll help identify them.

#4 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

I'll try it again....here is the infield practice....and 1st base is actually Garver.

• James likes this

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,014 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

I could tell it was Garver... everything else is too far away. Ha!

#6 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

Should have little trouble identifying Hughes....

• James likes this

#7 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

Lot backs here, but that's Park with  the black leggings.

• James likes this

#8 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

Please tell me Garver isn't at first for any other reason than he's just helping out...

#9 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 16,202 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

Please tell me Garver isn't at first for any other reason than he's just helping out...

Last year I noticed that several of the catchers took some time at first to just do that. I don't think it's anything to read into.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#10 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

Well today I only noticed one new arrival, Pressly.I watched Shagwaa and Wimmers throw a bullpen session.IMO the best pitcher on the team is one of those two.Wimmers breaking ball really has a big bite, dropping down.Then Tyler Wells threw and after him Hughes did his first bullpen, but only threw at about 50% I'd say.I understand Perkins will throw in the pen friday.

As the daily routine goes, they did infield practice, just fielding so far.Then at 10:30 they took batting practice.The wind was blowing out and most of the first group were power hitters so some balls got lost over both fences.In that group were Travis Harrison, Park, Garver and Palka.Palka really has some power.Garver hits nice line drives.The second group had a big, athletic looking guy, Isaiah Aluko that hits left handed and went deep to left field.Not sure where he came from, but worth watching. 

David Eckstein's brother must be a coach with us now. 

I talked with Park.He said his wrist is fine.I asked a few questions, and got that he had fun last year, that this is different than playing at home and he learned a lot last season.I just get the feeling that he has more desire to succeed here than the average guy. 

Edited by Halsey Hall, 07 February 2017 - 12:07 PM.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, birdwatcher, Kevin and 7 others like this

he gone!

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,014 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

He's played a lot of 1B in his years... a way to keep his bat in the lineup on days when he wasn't catching.

• HitInAPinch likes this

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,014 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:49 AM

The second group had a big, athletic looking guy, Isaya something that hits left handed and went deep to left field.Not sure where he came from, but worth watching. 

Isaiah Aluko signed last year as a non-drafted free agent and spent a few weeks in the GCL at the end of last season. I believe he went to Valdosta State. He's a great athlete, profiled in the prospect handbook.

Rick Eckstein is the minor league hitting coordinator... they hired him last August. 

• Halsey Hall and NoCryingInBaseball like this

#13 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

I watched Shagwaa and Wimmers throw a bullpen session.

Pretty sure  Halsey meant J.T. Chargois...

• Halsey Hall and GP830 like this

#14 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

Pretty sure  Halsey meant J.T. Chargois...

Yup, wasn't sure of spelling so went with how it's pronounced. 

• Steve Lein, NoCryingInBaseball and GP830 like this

he gone!

#15 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Well today I only noticed one new arrival, Pressly.I watched Shagwaa and Wimmers throw a bullpen session.IMO the best pitcher on the team is one of those two.Wimmers breaking ball really has a big bite, dropping down.Then Tyler Wells threw and after him Hughes did his first bullpen, but only threw at about 50% I'd say.I understand Perkins will throw in the pen friday.

As the daily routine goes, they did infield practice, just fielding so far.Then at 10:30 they took batting practice.The wind was blowing out and most of the first group were power hitters so some balls got lost over both fences.In that group were Travis Harrison, Park, Garver and Palka.Palka really has some power.Garver hits nice line drives.The second group had a big, athletic looking guy, Isaiah Aluko that hits left handed and went deep to left field.Not sure where he came from, but worth watching. 

I talked with Park.He said his wrist is fine.I asked a few questions, and got that he had fun last year, that this is different than playing at home and he learned a lot last season.I just get the feeling that he has more desire to succeed here than the average guy. 

I saw this post, and hadn't heard of Isaiah Aluko, so I looked him up.  

Apparently, he is truly multi-talented, according to this Alaska newspaper---

Take wing, young man!  Take wing!

isaiah aluko fowl ball

Edited by David HK, 08 February 2017 - 07:13 PM.

• USAFChief, Monkeypaws and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#16 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

I saw this post, and hadn't heard of Isaiah Aluko, so I looked him up.  

Apparently, he is truly multi-talented, according to this Alaska newspaper---

Take wing, young man!  Take wing!

Were you also struck by amount of typos in that entire article? It was amazing.

• David HK likes this

#17 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:41 AM

Apparently Aluko didn't even start on his high school team, according to one of the coaches, but some scout liked him and signed him. 

he gone!

#18 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

For some reason there just aren't as many players working out as there was Monday lately. The pitchers are on a short morning, toss some and then head inside. Today Tonkin came out and ran but that's all I saw.

Alex Kirilloff was here today and his first swing in bp went way over the right field fence.There was more fans today, maybe 25, and when he was done he signed for quite a lot of them.Seems to be a nice kid. That's about it for the day. 

he gone!

#19 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

Were you also struck by amount of typos in that entire article? It was amazing.

It's Alaska.  They once voted for a certain governor, so I don't think they put a lot of importance on grammar...;)

• Oldgoat_MN, NoCryingInBaseball and GP830 like this

#20 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 6,683 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

Is Vargas there?

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP