Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Last Yr of Debating Who the Twins Take in the MLB Draft!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 411 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

Hopefully, the Twins take a step forward THIS SEASON to where we are debating how they compete in the Central next winter! Nevertheless, our squad does have the first pick again in the MLB Draft. I suspect the new regime will take a college pitcher unless a BPA (Best Player . . .) blows them away.  The consensus top three looks like this:

1. Jeren Kendall - OF High schooler from Wisconsin.

2. Hunter Green - High School RHP

3.Alex Faedo - U of Fla - RHP

I think the Twins are interested in results sooner than later - before Target Field becomes completely empty.They are already waiting for the high schooler they took last year (Alex Kirilloff) and may never see anything out of fmr high schooler/draft pick Kohl Stewart.So, barring any injuries or poor performance, I think they'll take the Florida College RHP Alex Faedo.If the Twins take him, I just hope he's better than Lenny Faedo.

Edited by strumdatjaguar, 01 February 2017 - 05:36 PM.

• big dog likes this

#2 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• 975 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

I know you have to take best player available, but man I really can't stomach another toolsy high school outfielder this year. Get an impact pitcher already.
  • big dog and sploorp like this

#3 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,240 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

Why is it the last year?
  • Thrylos, Oldgoat_MN and HitInAPinch like this

#4 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

All in all, a good season.

• 1,959 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

If Green continues to look like the the next Clayton Kershaw you kinda gotta take him.

Unless Faedo makes great strides.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#5 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,931 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

If Green continues to look like the the next Clayton Kershaw you kinda gotta take him.
Unless Faedo makes great strides.

YEPPPPP....In my eyes its gotta be either Green or Faedo.
  • Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and goulik like this

#6 sploorp

sploorp

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 162 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

I'm really liking Greene and feeling a bit queasy at the thought of another toolsy outfielder or college arm.  The lists I've been seeing have him at number one though.  There are a few write ups on him.  Do a search and check them out, it's really hard to not be impressed.  Greene can also play SS and has legit power.

#7 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 920 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

No to the high school kid from Wisconsin because Wisconsin sucks.
  • Don't Feed the Greed Guy, rghrbek and Pardon My Dinger like this

#8 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

Just take the Golden Spikes winner

• Mike Sixel likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#9 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 762 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

Hopefully, the Twins take a step forward THIS SEASON to where we are debating how they compete in the Central next winter! Nevertheless, our squad does have the first pick again in the MLB Draft. I suspect the new regime will take a college pitcher unless a BPA (Best Player . . .) blows them away.  The consensus top three looks like this:

I think the Twins are interested in results sooner than later - before Target Field becomes completely empty.They are already waiting for the high schooler they took last year (Alex Kirilloff) and may never see anything out of fmr high schooler/draft pick Kohl Stewart.So, barring any injuries or poor performance, I think they'll take the Florida College RHP Alex Faedo.If the Twins take him, I just hope he's better than Lenny Faedo.

These are by far not a consensus on a top 3. first of all Jeren Kendall is a College OF from Vandy, he is also a speedy leadoff guy with great defense and questions about his bat, no thanks. Faedo has an injury history and mechanics that suggest continued injuries down the road. I prefer RHP Kyle Wright from Vandy, Royce Lewis HS SS, and Green (my favorite so far) as my top 3 for now

• Oldgoat_MN and Poli_Crandall like this

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,768 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

Every year... I don't get worked up on who the Twins should draft because I have no opinion on players that I haven't seen...but... every year I always hope the Twins take the best College Pitcher available. Because arms that work out have incredible value. 

If the Twins would have taken my approach... We would have drafted

Matt Garza

Ian Kennedy

Andrew Brackman

Andrew Cashner

Kyle Gibson

Alex Wimmers

Andrew Chafin

Kevin Gausman

Braden Shipley

Aaron Nola

Tyler Jay

Justin Dunn

This would also mean that:

Chris Parmelee would be with the Braves

Ben Revere would be with the Giants

Aaron Hicks would be with the Brewers

Levi Michael would be with the Rays

Byron Buxton and Nick Gordon would be with the Mariners

Kohl Stewart would be with the Red Sox

Alex Kiriloff would be with the Yankees

There ya go... I just can't understand why the Twins haven't called me yet with a job offer. 

• ashbury, glunn, Kevin and 4 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#11 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,873 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:39 AM

There will always be the useless debate in the winter over what player should the team draft.There is still a college season to go

• Thrylos and dish like this

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:11 AM

Just take the Golden Spikes winner

Bryant, , Bennintidi? AJ Reed.....not a bad list lately.

• nicksaviking likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,740 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:30 AM

Bryant, , Bennintidi? AJ Reed.....not a bad list lately.

Wow, I had never really kept track who won the award, but that's a really impressive list:

http://www.baseball-...denspikes.shtml

Since 1990 there's like three players who were total busts and maybe four others who you'd be pretty indifferent to. That's like a 75% success rate.

Of course one of them is Travis Lee.

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:36 AM

re: Golden Spikes winner:

Good idea, other than a simple detail:  It is awarded after the draft :)

So the 2016 winner, Kyle Lewis, was the Mariners' first round pick before he got the award last season.

You can look at the finalists (historic list here,) but about 2/3 or them are miss...

• Willihammer likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

So the 2016 winner, Kyle Lewis, was the Mariners' first round pick before he got the award last season.

You can look at the finalists (historic list here,) but about 2/3 or them are miss...

Ya, funny, I had thought Trea Turner had won it one year....

I like how Bryce Harper is on the list....

Edited by Mike Sixel, 02 February 2017 - 08:39 AM.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#16 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

Of the three you mention, I'm hoping Alex Faedo has a great year and makes the pick easy on the Twins.

Kendall looks and sounds like an Adam Eaton type to me.. Adam Eaton doesn't impress me as a #1 pick.

Hunter Greene's write-ups read a lot like Kohl Stewart's did: "should improve once focus is on the mound." Ton's of potential, but also the most risk of the three by far. There's also the caveat that no high school right-hander has ever gone #1. 

Other name I'm watching the most is Kyle Wright.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#17 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:01 AM

That's not a short list! Ah well. Hopefully there is a clear cut favorite by draft time.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#18 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,059 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

Of the three you mention, I'm hoping Alex Faedo has a great year and makes the pick easy on the Twins.

Kendall looks and sounds like an Adam Eaton type to me.. Adam Eaton doesn't impress me as a #1 pick.

Hunter Greene's write-ups read a lot like Kohl Stewart's did: "should improve once focus is on the mound." Ton's of potential, but also the most risk of the three by far. There's also the caveat that no high school right-hander has ever gone #1. 

Other name I'm watching the most is Kyle Wright.

yeah, I'm in the Green camp, but Faedo could make this a really easy decision if he goes all Strasburg on college ball this year... Here's to hoping!!!

• Mike Sixel, beckmt and Oldgoat_MN like this

#19 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 411 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

Sorry, I must have looked at stale info on Jeren - He has been out of H.S. for a bit and is from Vandy.Still I'd like to see Faedo do well this year and make the Twins decision easy. Twins need pitching help sooner not later.They have enough prospects and young players in the outfield.I'm hoping this is the last year where there is a lot of debate about the draft, because I hope we will be preoccupied with progress at the major league level.

#20 BK432

BK432

• 276 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN
  • Twitter: bk432

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:46 PM

Interesting tweet from Keith Law tonight - hard not to be enticed by this.

"Heard RHP/SS Hunter Greene of Sherman Oaks Notre Dame hit 100 mph tonight #MLBDraft"

• Oldgoat_MN likes this