Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Trevor May will be a Starter

twins trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

With May slated to start, what does the pitching picture look like.

Maybe 

1. Santana

2. Santiago

3. Gibson

4. Hughes

5. May

Haley

Pressly

Rogers*

Chargois

Kintzler

Perkins*

Graham

?

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#122 roger

roger

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:47 PM

Maybe 

1. Santana
2. Santiago
3. Gibson
4. Hughes
5. May

Haley
Pressly
Rogers*
Chargois
Kintzler
Perkins*
Graham

?

Isn't Graham gone?

#123 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

Ghastly? 

Atrocious? 

Horrible-er? 

Tough question and I do better with Multiple choice

How about alternative truth.?

#124 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:24 AM

Maybe

1. Santana
2. Santiago
3. Gibson
4. Hughes
5. May

Haley
Pressly
Rogers*
Chargois
Kintzler
Perkins*
Graham

?

Tonkin?

I also think they sign a FA or two. Skeptical Perkins is ready, and less than 50% Haley makes it.

But I do think that's Plan A for opening day rotation.
Papers...business papers.

#125 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:01 AM

The proclamation that May will start, when we know the manager loves him in the pen, indicates that Falvine are taking these kinds of personnel decisions out of the hands of Molitor. (God, if Pohlad had just let them start with a clean slate at manager maybe we would see a stronger push for contention out the gate.) So maybe they won't let Berrios be blocked either, or at least, not for very long, assuming he crushes in AAA again.

I remain convinced that this is Molitor's last season as manager.  Jeff Pickler was hired by Levine and Falvey to keep a tight leash on Paul.  Jeff Smith was hired to relieve Vavra from coaching the catcherd an unmitigated disaster for this franchise.  changes are definitely coming.

Edited by laloesch, 02 February 2017 - 07:01 AM.

#126 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

But it's looking like Santiago will get his starts at the expense of Berrios, not Gibson.

I don't care if they pocket the money if that means Berrios is pitching here.

I agree. I don't want Berrios to miss starts due to Gibson, either.

And I'm fine with the Pohlads making TONS of money as long as they are willing to spend it when we are only a player or two away from being competitive. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#127 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:20 PM

Santiago shouldn't even be on this roster, what a waste of money and a roster spot.

I fear Meyer will come back to haunt us. And then slam the organization for altering his delivery.

Why why why must this organization tinker with deliveries? Berrios............they wait until he gets to the big league roster, THEN they change his delivery? Amazing. And both Allen and Guardado are back? We should be very afraid.

I very much look forward to 2018 when Falvey gets to choose HIS manager and new coaching staff. I've always thought Backman with Viola as pitching coach would be outstanding hires.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#128 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

Santana
Santiago
Berrios
Gibson
May

I'll be interested in the order of the rotation and if they don't use a a fifth starter in April.

Make or break year for Gibson. He should have to earn a spot in the top 5. Nothing should be handed to him. The Twins seem to have a history of saying there will be competition, when there's not. May was lied to last spring. Even back to Slowey........he was told there would be competition, he outpitched the others, and still ended up in the bullpen.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#129 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

IF Phil Hughes starts the season in the rotation [ a couple REALLY big if's IMHO ], then at the very least, Berrios should be in the Twins bullpen, facing MLB hitters. 

Returning to the MiLB will accomplish nothing.Plus, with Neil Allen changing Berrios' windup at the end of last season, I would much prefer he keep working with Allen.

• Gheggs08 likes this

It's not my fault !

#130 Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Lee-The-Twins-Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

Starting 5:

1. Santana

2. Santiago/Gibson

3. Berrios

4. May

5. Haley

I think either Gibson or Santiago will be relegated to the bullpen – not because of ineffectiveness, but because Haley will impress in ST, and through hard work, determination and sheer grit, EARN a starting rotation spot. I'm not sure Hughes will be ready either. 

#131 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,764 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

Maybe

1. Santana
2. Santiago
3. Gibson
4. Hughes
5. May

Haley
Pressly
Rogers*
Chargois
Kintzler
Perkins*
Graham

?

1. Santana
2. Santiago
3. Gibson
4. Berrios
5. May

Hughes
Pressly
Haley
Chargois
Kintzler
Perkins*
Belisle

In no particular order

Edited by Sconnie, 02 February 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#132 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:54 AM

Starting 5:

1. Santana

2. Santiago/Gibson

3. Berrios

4. May

5. Haley

I think either Gibson or Santiago will be relegated to the bullpen – not because of ineffectiveness, but because Haley will impress in ST, and through hard work, determination and sheer grit, EARN a starting rotation spot. I'm not sure Hughes will be ready either. 

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Haley ends up in the rotation over Santiago or Gibson.

• USAFChief and diehardtwinsfan like this

#133 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

Another problem with Berrios starting in Rochester is that might drop Stephen Gonsalves back to Chattanooga (even though he needs to start the season in Rochester as he has nothing left to prove in AA as his 1.81 ERA and 10.6 k/9 prove), and possibly bump Fernando Romero back to Ft Myers (even though he dominated A+ ball and should start in Chattanooga right away this spring).

Plus I don't nessisarly want to see Berrios on cruise control like the last year and a half in AAA. He needs to be challenged to get better and he won't get that in Rochester. Plus I hope to get a good look at Gonsalves (provided he has worked on his control and command) as I feel so long as his shoulder issue is nothing he could be better than expected.

#134 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

1. Santana
2. Santiago
3. Gibson
4. Berrios
5. May

In no particular order

Umm

:)

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#135 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,297 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

If Haley is in the rotation, that is bad.... bad bad bad bad bad....

Berrios to AAA doesn't mean Gonsalves starts in AA. There's 5 rotation spots there, and other than Mejia and Duffey if he continues to start, there's no one else that has to be in Rochester.

If Hughes is looking good, I really hope they can send Santiago off to someone for a C+ prospect. I'd hate to see a guy like Berrios blocked by Santiago.My rotation right now (assuming Hughes can start):

Santana, Gibson, Hughes, May, Santiago (if I can flip Santiago, then Berrios).

If Hughes cannot start:

Santana, Gibson, May, Santiago, Berrios.

That leaves Mejia, Gonsalves, and potentially Duffey as AAA replacments.There's enough depth there that I'm not terribly worried about injury and potentially enough upside that would allow us to move one of Santana, Gibson, or Hughes at the deadline should a good offer come along.

#136 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,764 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

Umm

:)

yeah, I know it doesn't make sense, thanks for pointing that out
  • Riverbrian likes this

#137 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

I believe Santiago and Gibson will both be on a short leash. Gibson has yet to really click and Santiago, while a little younger with more MLB experience and success, does not appear to be more than a back of the rotation starter. In fact looking at his peripherals, his best days may be behind him.

I would be fine with either being moved to the bullpen if they falter and give someone else a chance as a SP. (Mejia, Hughes, Duffey, etc.)

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, trevor may