Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Minnesota Wild Thread

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#21 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,360 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

I would like to officially coin the term #tuchandroll. Any and all royalties will belong to me, thank you.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#22 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

BB has more clout and isn't afraid to make changes.Putting Nino on the PP was a nice change for one example.Yeo would have just kept putting the five same vets out there. 

The Wild quietly is putting up some huge depth too. Tuch is one example, if anyone watched the World Juniors, you know they have 3 captains getting ready to knock down the door. 

• Dr. Evil likes this

#23 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

1st place......or bust.

• Twins Mods
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

I'll get a chance to see the Wild live in person tomorrow night, looking forward to it. I think the Wild are a good team but personally think they are overachieving a bit, their underlying metrics are going to be pretty hard to sustain. Obviously Dubs is Dubs, he's the biggest factor in the Wild being where they are, but between a .936 sv% and a 10.10 sh%, something has to give at some point. Their advanced shot metrics currently sit 24th in the league. 

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

I read an interesting thing on the shots.  The article's claim was that Boudreau has done this before, that he has his team forgo meaningless shots from the outside in favor of shooting from further inside.  Which might explain having the second best shooting percentage in the league.  

This might be an interesting read for you.  I think some of this is purposeful and analytics in isolation are failing to see the full picture.

#25 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

1st place......or bust.

• Twins Mods
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

Oh I'm aware that the Wild are one of the better teams in the league when it comes to preventing high danger shots (guess what though, so are the Jets). They are also clearly not a high volume shot team, which can also play a part in their shot differentials.  I don't watch them on a regular basis so context is definitely lacking when in relation to the eye test. I think of all the things going for them, Dubnyk's play is least likely to regress, although I can't see him maintaining .936, but at some point their sh% is going to drop, they aren't headed for a 12 year league wide high sh% imo, which will effect their GF%.

CF% is far from a complete way of analyzing things, but it's pretty rare for bottom 3rd teams in that area to have long term success through the playoffs. High danger zone or not, they have to get their shot generation up a bit imo.

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:36 PM

Oh I'm aware that the Wild are one of the better teams in the league when it comes to preventing high danger shots (guess what though, so are the Jets). They are also clearly not a high volume shot team, which can also play a part in their shot differentials.  I don't watch them on a regular basis so context is definitely lacking when in relation to the eye test. I think of all the things going for them, Dubnyk's play is least likely to regress, although I can't see him maintaining .936, but at some point their sh% is going to drop, they aren't headed for a 12 year league wide high sh% imo, which will effect their GF%.

CF% is far from a complete way of analyzing things, but it's pretty rare for bottom 3rd teams in that area to have long term success through the playoffs. High danger zone or not, they have to get their shot generation up a bit imo.

And that's a fair point, I know that's a stat people like to point to, but our GF% is pretty damn good too.  And that has some good playoff predictability to it as well.

• twinsnorth49 likes this

#27 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

1st place......or bust.

• Twins Mods
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

And that's a fair point, I know that's a stat people like to point to, but our GF% is pretty damn good too.  And that has some good playoff predictability to it as well.

Boudreau is a great coach.......I'm jealous, that might be motivating me  :)

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

Boudreau is a great coach.......I'm jealous, that might be motivating me  :)

I never expected this.  I had given up on Granlund, so what he's done for him alone is huge in my book.  The guy has totally transformed this team.

• Dr. Evil likes this

#29 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:41 PM

I attribute the biggest difference on this team as being the addition of Staal.While he has not been as good lately, having two larger centers in Koivu and Staal allowed Granlund and Coyle to stay on the wing where they are clearly better.It has trickled down throughout the lineup.The addition of Stewart on the 4th line hasn't hurt either.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#30 mrkarbo

mrkarbo

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:44 AM

The best Wild team yet! Has me excited like the old North Stars did. Maybe a Pro mens Minn. team that can actually challenge for a Championship! Wouldnt that be GREAT!! Super move getting Boudreau and Staal is a differance maker. Finally seeing some young players living up to expectations. What do you suppose Yeo is thinking?

#31 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

I'll get a chance to see the Wild live in person tomorrow night, looking forward to it. 

Wild-Jets games are the absolute best. I have high hopes for this rivalry. The fans are definitely into it. 

Only trouble is, they've never been good at the same time. Once that happens, watch out!

#32 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:20 PM

Coyle is looking like a stud. Yet another brilliant maneuver from Boudreau. How can you not love what this guy is doing?

Edited by Pardon My Dinger, 07 February 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#33 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

1st place......or bust.

• Twins Mods
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, that whole PDO thing and the Wild........they were really good at it again last night. .950 sv% and 12.5 sh%.

My kingdom for a goaltender!!

#34 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

Quite a game tonight. Hawks 4 - Wild 3. We might as well get used to seeing that.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#35 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:13 PM

Quite a game tonight. Hawks 4 - Wild 3. We might as well get used to seeing that.

I missed it - I was all set to flip between the basketball game vs Iowa and the hockey game, but the basketball game was too good and I forgot to flip back.(Got the W in 2OT.)

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,012 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

I don't care, but I hope for all of you that do, that they win it all this year. Would be nice for a lot of my friends....

• Pardon My Dinger likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,110 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

There's a good article in the Star Tribune this morning highlighting the hottest line in the NHL: Koivu, Granlund, and Zucker. 

Since they were placed on the same line together 3 months ago, they've combined for 43 goals, 67 assists, 110 total points, and a combined +84 in 39 games. 

• DaveW and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#38 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

KGZ? Had a nice ring and fun political potential...

#39 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,354 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, that line has been amazing, and could be a key line for this team for the next few years.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#40 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,354 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

Trade deadline coming up:

Wild linked to Brian Boyle, I would like the move as it gives them a veteran center who can anchor the 3rd or 4th line if need be. Shouldn't cost much more than a 4th rounder or so.

With that said, there are a lot of nice players on the block as well, if Fletcher was ever going to pull the trigger on a young stud fwd, maybe now is the time? Especially since the young D men seem to be stepping up?

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR