Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Minnesota Wild Thread

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#321 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,500 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

Welcome aboard Paul Fenton. You've got your work cut out for you with the mess Chuck Fletcher left.

#322 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,500 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

I'm ready for some crowd favorites to make their exit this summer... Gotta do something to get out of some horrible contracts.

#323 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

Welcome aboard Paul Fenton. You've got your work cut out for you with the mess Chuck Fletcher left.

Especially since the owner probably has many restrictions on what can be done since he only wants tweaks.
  • TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

#324 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

Is it Wild time yet? Can't wait for hockey.
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#325 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,596 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:03 AM

You'll have to.

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#326 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:17 AM

It's just around the corner. The first preseason game is one month from today against Winnipeg. I'd assume training camp will start two weeks prior to that, which would be around 9/3.

#327 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

Going to be a LONG winter.Rebuilding needs to happen, not sure how that can be done with the stupid contracts Fletch passed out.How a team can be small and slow is odd to me.Still pretty soft on the walls and especially in their zone.No puck possession what so ever. Offensively no one in front of the net enough, although that's tough when you never have possession in the zone. 

I'm rebuilding around Zucker, Dubby, Greenway and Seeler waiting on some of the other young guys in the minors.I try getting Haula back for Dumba lol.  

What would you do?

#328 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,196 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:39 PM

Dumba is a good player, I don't get the hate on him.  

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#329 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:37 PM

Lazy sloppy play in his own zone.He has improved. but I doubt any other NHL teams think half of him.Vegas is still laughing about the deal they got not to take him.

#330 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:25 AM

Lazy sloppy play in his own zone.He has improved. but I doubt any other NHL teams think half of him.Vegas is still laughing about the deal they got not to take him.

How is Dumba lazy? He's an offensive minded defensemen and has scored 50 points in a season at age 23. Burns didn't do that until he was 30 (He would have done it when he was 29 but there was a lockout). Of all the things to be upset about on the Wild Dumba is like number 50. He one of the BEST young right shot defensemen in the league.

Also, Vegas is laughing at just about every team they made deals with.....that's how they were able to make it to the Stanley Cup.

• Twins33 and TheLeviathan like this

#331 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

Time to blow this thing up,need to get rid of the bad contracts but do not know how the Wild are going to do this without sending good players along with the bad contracts.

#332 S.

S.

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:30 PM

If I had to guess, a lot of the hate on Dumba is because when he does screw up, it has a tendency to be dumb turnovers, which is something that is very visible to everyone. Where as if you have a player who is making small positioning mistakes or other low visibility stuff like that, a lot of fans simply aren't going to realize its happening. It's kind of like the inverse of Brodin, who often quietly plays great defensive games but a lot of people don't realize it because he's just consistently playing solid D and generally isn't doing anything flashy that a casual fan would really notice.

Also, I think there are probably a lot of people who got fed up with Dumba in seasons past when his stupid mistakes and turn overs were a much more regular occurrence, and they've simply stuck with that opinion of him, and feel validated in that opinion because he does still make some of those stupid mistakes (albeit, a lot less often than he used to).

• TheLeviathan likes this

#333 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,196 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:02 PM

I feel like he's become a good defender.Yeah, he's not Suter, but he also provides something Suter or Brodin or any of those others can't - a right handed shot with offense.

• S. likes this

#334 S.

S.

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:19 PM

I'd agree that he isn't the same defensive liability that he was a few seasons ago. I feel like offense first defenseman can often be a divisive topic. Some people only focus on their offensive capability, some people only focus on their lower defensive capability, some people are able to look at the whole package. I also think his level of defensive play might be seen as worse than it actually is, because he is playing on a team with Suter, Spurgeon, and Brodin, and of course by comparison he doesn't look as good as those 3 from a pure defensive standpoint. 

Dumba has the potential to be a big impact player. He has a great shot, he can lay down some big hits, and I think he proved last year when Spurgeon and Suter were injured that he can put up some big minutes and be a solid defender too. He has definitely been improving in his consistency and the big mistakes and turnover are no longer a constant. But I think as long as he continues to make some of his Dumba55 boneheaded plays here and there, there will always be some people who just see him as a liability. 

#335 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:36 PM

How is Dumba lazy? He's an offensive minded defensemen and has scored 50 points in a season at age 23. Burns didn't do that until he was 30 (He would have done it when he was 29 but there was a lockout). Of all the things to be upset about on the Wild Dumba is like number 50. He one of the BEST young right shot defensemen in the league.

Also, Vegas is laughing at just about every team they made deals with.....that's how they were able to make it to the Stanley Cup.

Have you seen him in front of his own net?He makes some lazy passes for sure.

And I don't remember saying he was problem #1 either.  

#336 mngopherguy

mngopherguy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:38 PM

I feel like he's become a good defender.Yeah, he's not Suter, but he also provides something Suter or Brodin or any of those others can't - a right handed shot with offense.

That he absolutely provides.I'd absolutely rather him be on the powerplay than any other Wild defensemen.