Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

ABWII is claimed off of waivers... Again!

adam brett walker abwii
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,244 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

I think he could strike out 400 times if given 600 ABs.

• Brock Beauchamp, birdwatcher, Bark's Lounge and 2 others like this

#22 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

I think he could strike out 400 times if given 600 ABs.

Post of the Day! :roll:

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#23 GMinTraining

GMinTraining

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:54 PM

Looks like Adam Brett Walker II might have found a home after being DFA'd 4 times in 3 months.

Still doing ABW things - Leading Braves in RBI and XBH's, but striking out less lately. 2 Walkoffs this Spring.  

http://m.mlb.com/atl...ingle/?c_id=atl

Just glad somebody has given him a chance even if it is ST.

Go Twins

#24 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

He's still a very, very, very long shot to make the team. The Braves are actively shopping for an outfielder that could possibly back up all three outfield positions, and they also just got two very plausible candidates from the WBC who hadn't really had a chance to establish themselves.

If there's ever a spring where stats mean nothing, a WBC spring is it.

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#25 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

I would hate to be in his position.  What a maze he is trying to get through.  He has some talent and he has some big flaws, I hope that this focuses him on those flaws.  I think he should go to one of the Asian leagues because the majors seems to fall in love with the players after they batter Korean League pitchers. Good luck to him, it would be great to see him prove the teams wrong and he would not be the first to do so.

#26 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

I would hate to be in his position.  What a maze he is trying to get through.  He has some talent and he has some big flaws, I hope that this focuses him on those flaws.  I think he should go to one of the Asian leagues because the majors seems to fall in love with the players after they batter Korean League pitchers. Good luck to him, it would be great to see him prove the teams wrong and he would not be the first to do so.

Eric Thames with the Brewers will get his time to shine this year.

This post is not directed at MikeLink45. My mind is mush today - can anyone think of any position players (Hitters) who went to the far east to establish themselves and then return to MLB and succeed? The only one I can think of is Cecil Fielder. I ask this with respect and with a blank memory today.

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#27 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

Eric Thames with the Brewers will get his time to shine this year.

This post is not directed at MikeLink45. My mind is mush today - can anyone think of any position players (Hitters) who went to the far east to establish themselves and then return to MLB and succeed? The only one I can think of is Cecil Fielder. I ask this with respect and with a blank memory today.

Here is a site that may help you answer your question, but first a quote from the site about someone we saw in Florida this spring:

"Nothing about Vogelsong's career follows convention. From 2000-06, the pitcher struggled to a 5.86 ERA while bouncing between the rotation and bullpen for the Giants and Pirates. Vogelsong then headed to Japan to pitch for the Orix Buffaloes and Hanshin Tigers from 2007-09.
While he pitched a little better abroad, posting a 4.17 ERA in the NPB, it wasn't as if he absolutely dominated the competition.
And yet, here we are. After returning to the States to pitch for the Phillies' Triple-A affiliate in 2010, Vogelsong has been a cog in the Giants rotation. Since 2011, he's gone 39-35 with a 3.74 ERA, collecting two World Series titles and an All-Star appearance along the way.
I know, it doesn't make any sense to me either. Life's weird."

http://m.mlb.com/cut...lents-japan-npb

You might also enjoy reading this history of American Expats in the Japanese leagues: 

https://en.wikipedia...layers_in_Japan

• ashburyjohn likes this

#28 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

Walker sent down to AA to make room on the Gwinnett roster for Ryan Howard.

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,109 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:38 PM

Walker sent down to AA to make room on the Gwinnett roster for Ryan Howard.

Ouch. I still cannot fathom trying Howard...

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#30 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,759 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

He was off to an abysmal start, maybe it'll be good for him.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#31 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,244 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

He was off to an abysmal start, maybe it'll be good for him.

Pfft, don't get fooled by OPS or any of that.  He cut his K rate down to only 16 in 44 at-bats!

• snepp likes this

#32 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,759 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:17 PM

Pfft, don't get fooled by OPS or any of that.  He cut his K rate down to only 16 in 44 at-bats!

Buxton is jealous.

:eek:

• TheLeviathan likes this

#33 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:46 PM

Released on Tuesday by the Braves AA club.

#34 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

And signed on Wednesday by the Baltimore Orioles to a minor league deal.

The quest continues!

• big dog, Vanimal46 and bighat like this

#35 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,191 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

Didn't he spend a hot 2 seconds with Baltimore earlier this off-season?

He became a polarizing prospect towards the end here in Minnesota... Now that time has passed, I do hope he can find an organization to settle down with. 

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,109 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

I just hope he plays in at least one MLB game, so he gets the insurance. they get insurance right?

Seriously, if I ran a team, I'd call up every guy that spent years in my system for at least 1 day in September.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#37 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

Didn't he spend a hot 2 seconds with Baltimore earlier this off-season?

Actually the Orioles gave Walker most of his 40-man roster time this past winter.  The Brewers only had him for a couple weeks, and the Braves had him for less than a week before they outrighted him.  The Orioles let him rest on their 40-man roster for most of December and January.

#38 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,759 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:26 PM

This random ABW update brought to you by, well, me I guess.

In 18 games since his promotion to Baltimore's AAA squad, he's done the following...

67 plate appearances

26 strikeouts (almost right on his 38% AAA strikeout rate)

0 walks, yes, zero

6 hits, three of which came in one game

.254 OPS

• glunn likes this

#39 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:49 PM

So this brings the question...will we see Palka in September? Why protect guys on the 40-man if you really have no intention to use them or see them. Yes, Palka was injured, but..........

Still felt Walker should've gotten a call and a looksee, just because he was a solid minor league guy who advanced each season and did what was asked and deserved th tiny bit of major league glory (and the bump in pay).

He was on the 40-man. His butt didn't take up that much bench space. And so you have to spring for another sleeping room.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#40 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,263 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:03 AM

This random ABW update brought to you by, well, me I guess.

In 18 games since his promotion to Baltimore's AAA squad, he's done the following...

67 plate appearances

26 strikeouts (almost right on his 38% AAA strikeout rate)

0 walks, yes, zero

6 hits, three of which came in one game

.254 OPS

He was released by the O's like 10 days ago. 

• glunn and Thrylos like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adam brett walker, abwii